CPF Wishlist rev 2

lorenzopar,
If you goto Security >>> Network Monitor and select the Block Incoming item. Do a right click and select edit. There’s an option on there to “Log Events” this will show all blocked incoming events in your firewall log.

Eric

I have a minor request, it’s the little tick box when you get a pop up. I have to extremely accurate and click right in the middle. Could the box be made bigger or the clickable area bigger?

Ta. (V)

(As originally mentioned in this thread)…

In the Network Control Rule dialogue box, CPF refers to a Source IP and a Remote IP. Could you consider renaming the “Remote” field to “Destination”? I believe that having a Source / Destination pair makes more sense to the user than having a Source / Remote pair - particularly when dealing with inbound connections.

I’d have to agree. “Source” goes with “Destination” the same as “Local” goes with “Remote”. We know what you mean but new or less experienced users may not pick it up so easily.

Ewen :slight_smile:
(WCF3)

• sorting by columns. eg application, permission etc in the application monitor view

• resizing of the description view at the bottom of the app. monitor view, resizing of views in general

• http links in launchpad and firewall view should launch a default browser, not IE

• combining of rules that have been set, eg tcp+udp in with tcp+udp out, for the same IP regions, I can see that currently this is done only for tcp/udp combo

thanks for the opportunity to comment (WCF3)

I’ve seen a lot of references to turning off the “secure the host while booting” option due to problems with various applications and processes that apparently need early access to the network. It’s great to be secure from boot, but it seems that most people have to turn it off, defeating the benefit. Can’t CPF (or its essential functions) get loaded early enough to provide security by the time network access is needed, without requiring this option?

Thanks,
Bruce

Here it is.

I dont know if somebody mentioned it before, but is it possible to integrate something like peerguardian2 to CPF? IP protection for p2p.

Hi,

I’d strongly like the ability to customize a rule at the rule creation prompt. You should be able to choose a specific port, inbound/outbound, and TCP/UDP at the prompt instead of having to go into the configuration and write a rule.

I also think this would be a very good idea, the ability to import blocklists. Given the p2p community out there this would make cpf a very popular choice!

Hi,

I just started using CPF and I like it so far. As a free product it is definitely a 5.0 but in comparison with paid firewalls, I want to give it a 4.
The features that should be improved are so far from what I noticed:

1. Must protect all users that log in at one pc. (Enable protection for fast switching)
  2. Set Password to keep settings. (already mentioned in previous post)
  3. Have a better log (as already mentioned in previous post)
  4. Feature to submit new application info to comodo as a tool of the launchpanel (eg. product name, company, version, download website) or maybe have a userating feature for that specific application that has not been rated yet, giving at least some info to decide on before applicationname is integrated into official database.
  5. Default browser should be able to switch to Firefox.
  6. Easier setup on trusted/non trusted network. (seems rather raw right now.)

That is all for now…
Thank you for your great work.

Here it is.

By the way, in the Japanese childboard(thanks for moving it!), Hiro_H who is testing out CPF on a Japanese XP, mentioned that:

1. Would be nice to have the option to use the keyboard to check or select on the popups.
  2. There is a problem when “Secure the host while booting” is checked. He mentions that an event error occurs when being a member of a domain, and he cannot access certain resources within the domain. Looking into the event viewer, it says “failed to set up the group policy” (content unknown). Also when trying to access mapped folders and their files, using the “net use” command, an error occurs mentioning:“Network name not found. Content unknown”, one cannot access.

Has this problem also occured with other language XP’s?
Whatever the case is, maybe this “secure the host…” option may need a closer look.
I also attached a little file on the network suggestion. (Some have already been mentioned in previous posts…)

Thank you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

(R)
Hi,
I would like to see a firewall specific tray icon instead of the Launch Pad. Showing bar graph for incoming and outgoing info, That will tell me that CPF is working and protecting computer.

I think there should be 4 pre-made rules (presets if you want) for Network Monitor:

OFF (Network Monitor disabled)
Stealth (Blocked all inbound ICMP Echo Requests)
Super Stealth (Block all inbound IP requests & allow only outbound IP requests, basically default settings which are enabled out of the box when you install CPF at the moment v2.1.1.1)
Custom (leaves user a full control over rules).

Example of normal Stealth mode.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/1053/trustealth7gt.png

Settings for Custom should be saved separately so that they remain even if you switch to Stealth in between and then back to Custom.

These 4 options should be placed in simple dropdown menu under Network Monitor, so users can change it easily.

I’ve checked the machine and got a green status for stealthing (based on GRC.com).
So i think it’s ok. Plus it appears to work just fine with eMule (which doesn’t get HighID if i leave default Network Monitor settings aka Super Stealth).

Just a hint and i hope you’ll impliment this soon. If you need more info on what i meant about something specifically, feel free to ask me via mail or PM :slight_smile:

I would like to be able to save the current configuration. This way I could make changes and if I want to go back to what I had I can do so, easily. Jetico has the ability to save and reload any saved configuration.

I like the option to save the current configuration, too. It can help after an update.

Would like to see an option to save specific networks with presets: local network, trusted, internet, block, etc. When I installed CPF, a network dialogue popped up, but it was blank. I had to enter the IP address and subnet mask. I connect to many different (mainly wireless) networks in my travels, and being able to detect, configure options and save info for each network would be a time saver. The saved preferences would be applied each time a network was detected. I am not competent to advise of all the possibilites, but file and printer sharing would be one option; and others could be incorporated into local, trusted, and internet categories; with an option to override and configure options within each category.

Add a panic button to stop all traffic on the task bar.

Have CPF accurately show system adapers. The application shows my marvell adapter as an ethernet adapter. It also shows my Intel wireless 2915 ABG adpter as an ethernet adapter.

Incorporate the network adapter, the network name and type (as suggested above); and the configuration on its own page (eg "current network). This would show the adapter being used, the network name, the IP address and subnet mask; the category (trusted, local, internet, etc), and any custom rules for the network. While global rules are important, those of us who roam (and our numbers are increasing), are primarily concerned with the security and performance of the network we are currently connected to.

Don’t see a stealth option for the network. Possibly I am blind, or its on by default.

This and a quid will get you a pint (well…maybe a couple of ounces), but there it is.

Regards

I’d also like to see option to switch between advanced (current program control) and simplified where you have just 1 Allow/Deny dialog for each program (like ZoneAlarm does for example). Usually if program connects outbound it also requires inbound or vice versa. So in simplified mode if i allow some program it’s allowed for all ports inbound and outbound. Some of us don’t need so verbose and thorough program control.
But simple control whether one program can connect or not connect at all would be enough.

And as usual, contact me for details if needed.

Agree with V4V - that the inability to Fast Switch (Logging) on a Multi User PC is a nuisance and should be addressed please in any revisions you make.

…Phil

Please add an explorer “shell integration” for CPF like the one of CAV.

This integration should have at least the features:

“Comodo firewall” → “add to trusted applications”
→ “block this application”

and it should appear when clicking with the right button of the mouse over an application.

It will be an enormous help for reducing pop-ups and will help with full screen applications.

Also it will prevent untrusted-suspicious programs from connecting at the internet before they run for the first time. ;D

What do you think of the idea for when a user ‘allows’ a program to access the internet etc the program is sent to Comodo to automatically be checked by Comodo and added to the ‘safe’ list or ‘block’ list depending on Comodo’s analysis of the program. Similar to how Windows Defender works with the SpyNet community.

This feature can be turned off if users worry about their privacy.

What do you think?

Mike

Good idea Mike. Pity Comodo don’t have their own version of the SpyNet community to validate safe applications. Of course, they could always start one … Hmmmm?

ewen :slight_smile:
(WCF3) (WCF3) (WCF3) OI OI OI!