COMODO Internet Security 3.5.61373.458 BETA Q&A's, Feedback [CLOSED]

thank you, that’s probably it.

Ice

Thanks, Melih.

Can one of the mods/developers take a look at my post here.
My post got buried amongst the onslaught of recent posts, so Questions #2 and #3 were never completely answered. Any info you can provide is much appreciated.

WDD

These three forms of BO protection are included in CIS BETA. No additional protections were added AFAIK.

[u]Q #2[/u] Why is it called "Image Execution Control" when the execution control applies to much more than images. The help file does not provide the answer. If this protection applies to any executable in the "files to check" list, then it may be more clear to name this window "File Execution Control." That seems more intuitive to me. This would also make it clear why the "buffer overflow" protection is placed in this window (since it applies to the execution of files, not just images). Maybe there is a good explanation for the current format, if so, maybe someone can explain it to me (because it ain't obvious).

“Image” isn’t referring to a graphic image file object, like a JPEG picture. It refers to an applications memory image, as initialized in RAM.

[u]Q #3[/u] Which of the following does the buffer overflow protection apply to? 1)All executables not on the exclusion list? 2)Only executables not on the exclusion list [i]and[/i] present on the "files to check" list? (see 1st pic)

Having an “exclusion” list and a “files to check” list in the same window may be very confusing because they seem to be mutually exclusive (i.e. check these but don’t check these!). Perhaps these should be seperated to avoid confusion (See 2nd pic for a way of doing this).

LOL. Good question. Having an exclusion list would imply that anything not in it would be included and vice versa for the inclusion list. Having both is contradictory. I’ll see what I can find out.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Answered #2, pondered #3. LOL

Thanks Ewen.

(re: my post here)

You can see how this will be confusing for people who are not experts or programmers. To eliminate confusion, it seems best to change the name to something that is still accurate but not subject to double meaning and ambiguity. The interface uses the term “executables” in most of the D+ dialogs. To be consistent, I think it makes sense to stick with this term.
One option would be to title the window “Control of Excecutables” or “Settings for Executables” (see the pic)
Also, a less confusing way of approaching the “files to check” and “exclusion” buttons is shown in the pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yes, SS appears in the system tray (as before). I’m a bit confused whether CMF is built into CIS as when I ran BO Tester, it was SS that detected these (which was different from the screenshots I saw in another post, showing alerts from within CIS).
Maybe I shouldn’t have installed SS.

???

See this post:

https://forums.comodo.com/beta_corner_cis/comodo_internet_security_3561373458_beta_bug_reports-t33171.0.html;msg238813#msg238813

Thx for confirming. Hmm, what if you shut down SS and then run the BO tester?

What should the setting be set at in the Defense+>Advanced>Image Execution Control Settings?

PCBill

True!

JNavas and The Joker, although COMODO greatly appreciates all beta testers’ contributions, no one is forcing you to test it. If it’s too buggy even for a non production PC, why not just pretend it was never released and wait until the final? :wink:

How to use proxy pointers on new “proxy” tab in “settings”? What proxy is it?

I have installed proxy(server) on localhost (127.0.0.1) and use it for blocking a)images or b)media or c)dowloadings and for caching web sites.
And many times offered here (and will again and again) to develop comodo-proxy to parsing connection’s content and to have ability to block some kind of internet traffic and caching sites

Well this is a cold forum. I asked a question earlier and got zip. That’s how you kill computer software from entering the mainstream market. I have been using Comodo for 2 years. No more. You can keep your software. I have a tip for you on this forum. I have been reading everyday the comments about how you wanted the new beta to come out etc. Well you are a bunch of kids. Comodo is what you make it. And it will never be anything if you guys keep driving this software. Too bad, it was a great peice of software, til they ley people like you on this forum.

Just a tad harsh I think… it is the weekend.

If you want images scanned, then Normal with the images (EXEs, BATs, CMDs, etc…) you want scanned entered on the next tab. And Buffer Overflow protection set if you want it.

Hello,

Does someone can help me to install latest beta version on Window 7 x86… I am lost.

I have a fresh install of Win 7 (7000) with all needed drivers + Avira Antivirus instaled on a 250 Go Sata HDD.

I have installed version CIS 3.5.57173.439 in Vista compatibility mode without Antivirus. No problem if not the well known of the Firewall working 40 % … Most of application goes through as they were "System apps)…

So, after reading some good news about the beta .458, I un-installed the previous version , rebooted, but never been able to install the beta version. Admin mode, Vista compatibility, I just got the first screen of the installer then I get a screen with a message " Rolback done" and I must click on “finish” to exit the setup. too bad.

So, I try to install the previous version CIS 3.5.57173.439 , but now I got the same message… !! :frowning:
What’s I am doing wrong ?
Thanks for help :slight_smile:

SS still alerts you to the BO. In the end, I unisntalled SS (inc. toolbar) and CIS performed as normal (i.e alerted about BO within CIS). Not sure why SS was included with the installation ???.

:slight_smile:

OK, then the mystery further remains. :-X

Sorry about the lack of answer, sometimes questions just aren’t answered because those who know miss them - or those who don’t know can’t properly answer.

As for you other comments: Well excuse all users here for being thrilled about the new CIS. Why not be a little constructive instead? Instead you criticize the community and the software with no arguments whatsoever.

I also advice you to consider the forum policy §5.1

For any further comments in this subject please continue in a feedback thread (where you point out more specifically which problems you have with the software).