Comodo Firewall and Spysweeper Problems

Hi Guys,

We have identified the issue. There is a definite incompatibility with Defense+ buffer overflow defense and SS. We are trying to get in touch with its vendor to find a possible resolution.

Thanks for your patience,
Egemen

Hello Egemen,

Thanks for confirming this issue, does that mean that if you “disable” BO protection SS would run normally ?

Thank you Egemen. Fingers cross, and toes too ;D

Thanks for your info. I am very glad that you are working on it :slight_smile: Do you know (just approximately) in which time horizon this will be fixed? Once more, thank YOU!

Guys who have the problem, could you please try disabling the buffer overflow and then see if SpySweeper works? If it does, report back here. Also remember to re-enable Buffer overflow protection (if you want to).

I think the attached method is how you disable it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi jeremysbot and Ronny

Sorry no joy. Windows and third programs still behave erratic (eg. opening Control Panel attached). I tried unchecking different protection items in CFP D + (eg. Physical Memory and such) with no success.

On the other hand just by deactivating “File System” in Spy Sweeper Shields > Windows System. Windows and third programs work OK; However, SS sweep (scan) is still slooowwww.

Hope this helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Okay then it’s a matter of choices at the moment i guess.

Hello Jeremysbost,

I disabled buffer overflow protection, rebooted my pc, but this method did not work. Scanning with SpySweeper is still very long… But thanks for an idea :wink:

HI Guys…
I’m definatley no security expert, but I do like Comodo CFP and SpySweeper. Since I discovered this compatability issue, I installed PCTools Firewall Plus Free because I like SpySweeper and recently renewed my subscription just prior to the update of CFP.
Do you expert guys think SpySweeper is a good product or should I just uninstall it and reinstall CFP.
I also use Avira AV free edition…I thought the combonation of CFP Avira and SS was a good set up…I’ve been using it for years now. Any recomendations?
Thanks !!
;D

I used to really like it. Then the latest releases have been interfering with too many different applications. I finally stopped using it a month ago.

Hi Brian.

If you are going to use a firewall and SS, you better use Comodo. Even without D +, it is more secure than SS firewall. I am also a SS user and I am hoping that for the next release this incompatibility issue would be resolved. If you have been following this Topic, you should know that you have three choices:

One. You get rid of SS and use CPF 3.8.xxxxx.477 with Proactive Defence ON and another antimalware like SAS or MBAM.

Two. You use SS and CPF 3.8.xxxxxx.477 with Proactve Defence OFF ( my option ).

Three. You use SS and CPF 3.5.xxxxx.439 until and if, dev´come with a new upgrade without this issue.

Have you seen this:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

I know that I am going to be lectured for what I am about to say, but D + is as good as the user. If you are not paying attention or you do not know what you are doing, most probably you are going to click on something that you should have not clicked or the other way arround. Eg. svchost.exe or scvhost.exe, also lsass.exe or Isass.exe, Micrsoft driver or Microsoft driver or Windrive.exe. which one would you accept or deny.
Good: svchost.exe, lsass.exe, Microsoft driver.
Bad: scvhost.exe, Isass.exe, Micrsoft driver. Windrive driver.

Hope it helps

Spy Sweeper have just released a version update: 6.1.0 (build 107)

Does anyone know whether this patch now makes it compatible with CFP? Webroot are awful when it comes to listing “what’s new in this version”, and I’ve had stability issues when I’ve installed SS updates immediately on release, so I don’t want to update unless I know it’s ok.

This compatibility issue must be effecting thousands of people, not just Spy Sweeper users. Why are the Comodo developers so slow in fixing the problems they have created? CFP 3.8 was released 12th Feb, 2009! Do they wait for other manufacturers to tweak their software so it works with Comodo’s?

No, I am not happy with this situation. I would have dumped CFP weeks ago if I thought there was a better free firewall out there.

Hi there,

This is not a problem we have created. I do not want to reveal all the details before Spy Sweeper’s vendor replies us back. It affects ONLY spysweper users not anyone else.

Please be sure that we care about you and do not mind issuing updates every hour if necessary. Right now, we have to wait for its vendor for a reasonable time. We do not want to mark SS incompatible or even restrict it to prevent this issue.

The latest resolution date for this issue is our scheduled April release(worst case scenario).

Thank you for your patience,
Egemen

Yes, SpySweeper released new update, but this did not resolve this issue. Maybe there is something bigger behind this problem… As Egemen said we have to be patient and wait in the worst case until april.

Does anyone know whether this patch now makes it compatible with CFP? Webroot are awful when it comes to listing "what's new in this version", and I've had stability issues when I've installed SS updates immediately on release, so I don't want to update unless I know it's ok.

Mostly Harmless.

I installed SS 6.1.0 (107) yesterday, I thought it was a new released related to CFP 3.8 because what Egemen said in a post March 09:

Hi Guys,

We have identified the issue. There is a definite incompatibility with Defense+ buffer overflow defense and SS. We are trying to get in touch with its vendor to find a possible resolution.

Thanks for your patience,
Egemen

So I immediately uninstalled CFP D+ V. 3.5 and installed again CFP D+ V. 3.8, But no, nothing new, the same thing. Endless sweep (scan) by SS and erratic behaviour by Windows and other programs installed. I deactivated Proactive Defence and kept CFP v. 3.8.
SS 6.1.0 (107) is running pretty good in my Sys. (XP Pro. Sp3, with Avast 4.8 Home Ed. CFP 3.8 (no D+) and Win patrol Plus). The only two things I noticed in this SS version is the offering of Ask.com tool bar (shame on SS) and my sweeps are faster. Like you said Webroot does not like to disclose much about what is new in its releases.

Hey Egemen.

You mentioned the Buffer Overflow in D+ has something to do with the endless scan in SS. Remember my post (above. Reply # 45) where I mentioned that disabling “File System” in SS “shields”, makes Windows and third apps behave normal again. I do not know if this got something to do with Buffer Overflow or not but just a hint.

Thank you

Here is my experience with Webroot.

I have used and been very happy with SpySweeper for several years. Then within the last year, (Last tow or three releases) I’ve started having ‘issues’ with many other pieces of software. Of course, I suspected this other software at first because I had been using SS with no problems at all for so long.

Then as I was trying to troubleshoot problems with yet another piece of software I had just installed, I had an idea out of desperation and uninstalled SpySweeper. What do you know? Everything works fine with the new software now! I proceeded to reinstall some of the software I’d had trouble with in the past and found the exact same thing!

All of the problems I’d had running half a dozen pieces of software stemmed from SpySweeper interfering! If it was only a single piece of software, or even two, I’d be willing to call it a fluke. But the evidence was overwhelming to me that the problem was with the way SpySweeper operates. If it is the single incompatibility with all these other programs, I don’t want it on my system.

My subscription expired last month and I never plan on renewing it. SpySweeper has turned into a mess with the latest few releases. Life has been good since giving it the boot.

Okay, you didn’t create the problem, so I apologize for the tone of my previous post (just blowing off steam, I guess), but it has certainly arisen with the release of CFP 3.8
cyberspace handshake? :a0

I will keep the faith with Comodo, because as we all know, their firewall is in a class above the rest (Most definitely in the freeware arena, and according to many, the paid arena too).

MH

P.S. Are you sure this issue only effects Spy Sweeper? My brother -whom I recommended CFP to- has been experiencing longer than normal AVG (free edition) scans since updating his CFP to 3.8

I assume he did not install the AV ? If he did does he have real-time disabled during AVG scan ?

The AV component of CFP? I hope not. I’ve warned him in the past about having multiple AVs installed.
I’ll have to get back to you on this one.

Yep in this case CIS (as install package) that is…