Comodo Dragon ver 18.3 is now available for download

I’m surprised how some people are upset by the casual impossibility to change themes. After all, it is just a cosmetic matter.
I don’t believe that Comodo did that to annoy its users. There must be a good technical or security reason.
And as Melih himself said that the feature must be restored, all it takes is to be patient a short time.

Dragon is such a good and secure browser. It is a pity to consider leaving it for the temporary theme inconvenience.

Well, we get to choose the color of the car we drive, and that is just a “cosmetic matter”. What bothers me so much, is that someone that is in the development of Dragon actually thought that restricting individuality was actually a good idea, and then the people that have the final say before the update is pushed didn’t have the foresight put a hold on it… That makes me wonder what else gets passed on to us end users of Comodo’s products.

In the future, they could make a poll here before changing important setting and check users’ reactions.

++
For those who are afraid that their present ‘custom’ theme will no longer work – it does - see snip below.
However, if you go to the Chrome web store and try to install a new theme, Dragon won’t let you.

Also, I had Dragon set to ‘not’ auto update and it left that setting alone after I manually updated with the browser popup reminder.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dear EricJH - I just use that “HashTab”; here the results:
CRC32: AA99E488
MD5: 13D730347874666D4D464ADC1C4D3354
SHA-1: 99BE59C36DD055C66F3C95CCC3F4FBBFC5D83B1C

Looks like everything the “ok” in the file’s digital signature.

Now I think about - how to tell bout this incindent to people from “Avira” ? They provide an instrument for such tasks - Submit Suspicious Files - but that temp file, wich created by the “Dragon” installation process, is too big to send with that “Avira’s” tool.

Dunstan,

Looking closer, there are 2 files created by Dragon updater/installer in c:\Windows\Temp. The one I mentioned previously which is a log file, hence a document text that you can easily read and send by pieces to Avira.

The second one is dragon_version.inf. It contains only 131 bytes.

One of the reasons I stuck to Mozilla products for so long was the ability to customize the browser including the appearance. I had switched to a third party theme prior to this unannounced update in which you can no longer change the theme. Between this ridiculous idea and the constant crashing lately with one user script I am thinking of returning to Mozilla or perhaps trying IE which btw has gained market share while Chrome loses market share. Do developers not pay attention to what people want in their browser? I have surfed the internet on my own personal computers since 2003 with a variety of Windows browser offerings and am greatly disappointed with upgrades which seem to make the browsing experience WORSE and not better. My advice to Comodo…update immediately with the option to change browser themes.

Boris 3,

Here are “%name%.tmp” file - with program data itself - wich just disappear after termination by user, or when installation ended; log-files still in that directory after the end of the process. Trojan, or somesthing, is a part of that “.tmp” file - which include a program data. There is no need to send harmless logs - but '.tmp" file with the trojan.

I’ve done the update with the standalone installer mentioned in the post of lightstep. As I run Defense+ in parano mode and haven’t made a rule for Dragon updater, I’m alerted of all his moves. You’ll see in the attached image the files created during the update process.

To be noted, in your original post you said that the alert from Avira pointed to a file in C:\Windows\Temp

Looks like we have problems here - an "Avira" reported "TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen" trojan into installation distributive in process to install new version (C:\Windows\Temp\Dra4638.tmp).

In another post you were anxious of the use of \Windows\temp by Dragon updater

By the way - the installlation process looks strange itself - very suspicious that installation program choose directory such as "windows\temp"; directory like "C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Temp" looks more common.

Now you say that the “trojan” is in *\user\temp file

By the way, would it not be more correct to speak of potential FP instead of trojan?

Does this topic hold the answer for you?

Ok. Now I’ll speak nothing - and show small series of pictures - it is clear, I think.

And I cannot send giant files - like that “.tmp” - about three reasons - this too big for “Avira’s” server, I have CDMA-modem and I’m on a budget.

And one more picture.

Dear EricJH - is there other way, than sending files ?

I don’t know another way of sending then the ones I provided.

bump.

ok I now know cloud isn’t in 18.3 as it was in 18.2 beta as I am now using .3 but why was there never a stable 18.2. we jumped from 18.1 to 18.3 stable

I want a browser able to change the default (and often boring) theme! Used to be like that in version 18.1, why change that? Brand awareness? It already states Comodo next to the minimize window button. How much more awareness does one need? >:(

Hello,

The setup does not launch while the browser is running. Were there any error messages linking to a crash when you discovered the problem?

It would be much appreciated if you could upload the following files:

• “dragon_updater.exe” log files from %windir%\Temp\ComodoLogsFolder
  • “Dragonsetup.exe” log files from %temp%\ComodoLogsFolder

Thank you for your support.

Dragon is the most fast browser I tested. But I really dislike the fact we can’t change themes. I like to match the colors from my desktop. You could put some built-in themes at least.

As far as I am concerned there is not good reason for the developers to have modified the code to not allow changing of themes. They need to change it back. How difficult is it to modify it and re-release it?

I agree.
it should be changed back.

Can the Dragon devs give an estimation when the ability to use themes will return?