Comodo Chromodo 42 is now available for download.

Oh, ■■■■■■ :slight_smile: I suppose that’s Maxthon for me then, unless you want to tell me that Maxthon also plans to phase out NPAPI of which I couldn’t find any reference. On the contrary. http://old-forum.maxthon.com/thread-15652-1-1.html

There is something better: HTML. Without plugins. :slight_smile: Mozilla is also working on phasing out NPAPI, but that will not be done any time soon, due to Flash Player.

When the NPAPI-implementation is removed from Chromium, Maxthon will have trouble if they want to keep it.

That’s almost two weeks :-\

Will this be a permanent pattern? Dragon being released two weeks after Chromodo? Or is it perhaps just a temporary issue that will be smoothed out down the road?

True but there are two issues with HTML (I assume you mean the video capabilities of HTML5)

First issue is that websites must specifically support it, which is an issue on a number of sites which still only supports flash player, here there isn’t really much the user can do about it except to wait for HTML5 support on the sites they want to use.

Second issue is that Comodo browsers doesn’t support certain proprietary codecs/whatever that are sometimes used for video/audio (as I know that you know) and to the best of my knowledge Comodo browsers doesn’t take use of the systems decoders or what was it?

Thankfully, according to Wikipedia or the review below Maxthon for Windows should no longer be based on Chromium if that’s ever been the case, but on Trident :slight_smile: http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/maxthon-review.html

Rolled back to the old version. :frowning:
I don’t like the new replacement for PrivDog, I don’t like the HUGE drop in speed.

Best out of three tests HTML5 520 out of 555
Chromodo version 42.1.2.90 HTML5 6/7 speed score 4666 (slowest speed was down there with google chrome 2200)

Old version HTML5 467 out of 555
Chromodo version 36.7.0.8 HTML5 6/7 speed score 5535

Will we see the same thing in the new version of Dragon?

I didn’t mean video specifically, but the inclusion of

Mobile clients without plugins force sites to move from plugins to HTML. On the other hand, there are lots of dedicated applications for mobile systems, that are used instead of a browser. :-\

The switch from plugins to HTML, where the browser handles all content, is not without issues. Proprietary formats for audio and video is one such issue. Video on the web is not only YouTube. Recently it was concluded that with current implementations VP9, which is free, was on par with the proprietary HEVC/H.265, the successor of AVC/H.264, encoded with x265. That is a new situation (VP8 is not on par with AVC/H.264), and gives some hope that other services, like Netflix, will use VP9, and why not Opus for audio.
But there is one more issue: DRM. To use Netflix’s HTML-player, your browser has to have an EME-implementation, a proprietary plugin. Thank, or rather blame, the guys in Hollywood for that. :frowning:

Maxthon on Windows has two modes: Ultra and Retro. Ultra = Chromium (currently 30.0.1599.101!). Retro = Trident (IE). IE doesn’t use NPAPI, it uses ActiveX.
Let’s not go farther !ot! by discussing all other browsers. :wink:

My Chromodo auto updated, which it is set to do, but nothing happened. I went in to about and it said I needed to relaunch, so I clicked the relaunch button. The window closed and nothing else happened. I clicked my shortcut. The icon lights up and then nothing happens and then it deselects itself. I restarted my computer and tried to launch and still nothing happens. I downloaded the Chromium 42 installer. It prompts me to repair or uninstall, so I choose repair. It finishes and prompts me to launch, which I do. Nothing happens. I can’t seem to launch chromium anymore. Any suggestions? I’m on Windows 8.1.

Hi

Yes NPAPI is being removed from the Chromium code base as of September.

Our browsers are based on Chromium so yes NPAPI will also no longer be supported in Chromodo and Dragon.

Shane.

Is there any reason for this delay?

Dragon specific branding changes, theme changes and QA process.

Temporary issue, our goal is releasing both browsers in the same time with the coming releases.

Until then, it’ll get here when it gets here.

The eagle has landed… Congratulations with the release. (:CLP) :■■■■

Has support for the PepperFlash supplied with Google Chrome been desupported ?

I no longer see a Flash Player plugin which I did prior to the update it was

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 17.0.0.188
Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Version: 17.0.0.188
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\43.0.2357.65\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
Disable
MIME types:
MIME type Description File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
.swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
.spl

Hi TheDukeUK,
Install PPAPI flash from the link below.

Step 1) Select your operating system.
Step 2) Select FP17 for Opera and Chromium PPAPI.
Hint: Deselect the option offer for McAfee security scan if not required.

Close the browser, then run the installer.

Kind regards.

So yes the automatic selection of PepperFlash in the Program Directory and Google Chrome is desupported then.

I have just added switches but I will instruct all my friends that are using it do follow your instructions

thank you for a prompt and accurate reply

PS I could have done without this on a weekday :frowning:

Okay doing it your way

You are welcome.
At least we no longer need to obtain a copy of the PepperFlash folder and contents or be reliant on Chrome to use PPAPI Flash. :slight_smile:

Kind regards.