Comodo Backup Wishlist rev 2

Hi,

a bug fix would be great too :wink:

I am running a german XP SP3 and have a few files with cyrilic letters in the filename. Backup failing to copy these files. The log file says something like.

Error copying file D:\a\b\???? ?????????.doc

while the filename - visible in the explorer says Š¤Š¾Ń‚Š¾ ŠšŠ°Ń‚ŠµŠ³Š¾Ń€ŠøŠø.doc and the file is fully accessible.

Rather sad, because the tool is good otherwise.

Regards,
Matthias

Wishlist :-

I had recommend my company to use 2BrightSparks Syncback SE, and am using free edition at home.
This is a really great program, even the free edition is good.

You can see the list of features here,

It will be good if Comodo has such list, with itā€™s own uniqueness too.
(I hope I am not asking too much :stuck_out_tongue: )

Ability to perform a compressed, encrypted backup to an Amazon Simple Storage Service bucket.

g

Beardo, thanks so much for your pointer to SyncBack. While I find Comodo Firewall very good, Comodo Backup isnā€™t yet what I need, so I gave SyncBackPro a trial run. It is extremely capable and configurable, and I wouldnā€™t hesitate to recommend it. Comodo Backup would do well to emulate it as much as possible.

Unfortunately, even SyncBackPro does not quite hit the mark in the one area that I need most. I am searching for a replacement for DataKeeper (PowerQuest) for one specific purposeā€“to copy changed files to a backup location.

The way DataKeeper works is: after defining the profile, it initially copies all the data to the backup location. After that, it simply watches for any change made to any file/directory in the profile. As soon as a change is detected, DataKeeper immediately copies that changed file to the backup location (and it includes versioning). SyncBackPro has the ability to watch for changes, but unfortunately when it sees a changed file it simply serves as a trigger for SynBack to go ahead and scan the entire source again! So in effect it runs continuously (scanning), rather than simply copying the changed files.

This is a feature I would really like to see in Comodo Backup. But since it isnā€™t here yet, I would greatly appreciate any recommendations or pointers to a program (free or paid-for) which does this.

ADVthanksANCE

Welcome to the Comodo Forums, Joe

Comodo Backup does this in synchronization mode. It works like a charm.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I did find synchronization mode. I should have been more clear in my original post, that I wanted to make use of versioning, and while Comodo does offer versioning, it is not available in synchronization mode.

But if it is, please do let me know!

Hi Joe

If by versioning you mean the following:

Then no, Comodo Backup cannot help.

John

Hi John,

By versioning, I mean the ability to keep multiple copies of a file in the backup, a new copy each time the file is changed, up to a user-defined number of copies.

Comodo Backup does have this featureā€“but it is not available in synchronization mode, right?

So if would be a great feature to add!

And, if anyone knows of a program which does this now, a pointer would be appreciated.

Check this out: AlmerBackup is virtually identical to Comodo Backup! Check the screen shots; read the tutorialā€“it is identical! Wonder who copied whom?

Hi Joe

Check out this post

John

Ah, thanks for the pointer; very interesting. Sorry for not searching the forum before hand.

Hello there,

I was wandering what of the mentioned wishes have you taken into consideration.
As far as Iā€™m concerned, I think that it is really essential and necessary to have the possibility to manage missed backups.

How can we know what of the additional features youā€™ve been working on for the next version?

Thank you very much for your time and effort invested in this great product!

Has this been implemented into the new version (2.0ā€¦)?

I havenā€™t been using Comodo Backup for about 5 (!) months - now Iā€™m checking back whether things have evolvedā€¦

Does anybody know?
:slight_smile:

In version 2 Backup opens each time it starts up and you have to close it manually - for now.

John

Add me as a user of CB v2 eagerly awaiting the ā€œ-silentā€ feature to be implemented.

IMO, the current design very much defeats the purpose of scheduling a job if CB is going to be a) popping up its interface front-and-center, stealing focus and attention from the userā€™s current task and b) requiring the user to manually close the interface after the backup completes.

For now, I have to move on to other backup solutions since this behavior would simply be too confusing to young, non-computer literate users of my computer had they been playing their Nick Jr. web-games when suddenly a CB scheduled job started. :slight_smile:

This will be available in 2.1

+1

idk if you realized but the topic you posted in is almost 6 years old.