COMODO Antivirus for Linux (CAVL) v1.1.268025.1 is released!

Unless you are connected to windows computers via a server or sharing service then i see no reason to have an av running in the background in linux and before people say you need one well i say you dont.

I use linux as my main os now and i dont share with anything and i only download software from the repositries.

I’ve had something similar - sometimes leading to system freeze or crash. I didn’t find a real solution, but did get the scan to complete and the nag screen to go away by doing the full scan while the redirect drivers weren’t loaded (ie after a kernel update - of which ubuntu seems to have more than any other OS I’ve used).

Having said that, I tend to agree with the poster above - I mostly run without the redirect drivers loaded anyway, and just use CAVL as an occasional scanner.

Thanks for advise. I tried to restrict the scan to Critical Areas but it appeared that the problematic config command files belong to the critical areas. New updates don’t seem to remove old config files so it’s no use to check situation before next major version (in my case 14.04 LTS I think).

Hi there. Anyone running this AV on the latest Linux Mint (16)?

You have done great work.

Yes, but they seem to have stopped. CAVL won’t run in real time anymore on the latest versions of any of the major distros.

It definitely needs to be updated!

i got it installed on 14.04, it updates and scans without any issue, the only issue is the filter driver, which will never be updated according to its official site and the similar version “PluginFS” says its still not stable enough.

that doesnt appear to actually impact the scanning process since i can still search my entire /

i even double checked the number of files and it was the same, also switched over to COMODO’s DNS servers

Comodo is working perfect on Linux Mint 17. :-TU

Unless using windows files av is not needed on a Linux computer.

While I’m sure that some of you are absolutely insistent that Linux is completely safe, I’m not willing to trust that “myth” - as there have been malware infections caught on ubuntu platforms and derivations. That being said…

I’d like to see a fully functional version for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Installation states that it was successfull, however the following is displayed in console during post_setup.sh:

Build the RedirFS kernel modules for real-time protection...

make -C /lib/modules/uname -r/build M=/tmp/driver/redirfs modules
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-32-generic' CC [M] /tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_path.o CC [M] /tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_root.o CC [M] /tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_info.o CC [M] /tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_file.o /tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_file.c: In function ‘rfs_readdir’: /tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_file.c:259:37: error: ‘const struct file_operations’ has no member named ‘readdir’ if (rfile->op_old && rfile->op_old->readdir) ^ /tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_file.c:260:35: error: ‘const struct file_operations’ has no member named ‘readdir’ rargs.rv.rv_int = rfile->op_old->readdir( ^ /tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_file.c: In function ‘rfs_file_set_ops_dir’: /tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_file.c:313:15: error: ‘struct file_operations’ has no member named ‘readdir’ rfile->op_new.readdir = rfs_readdir; ^ make[2]: *** [/tmp/driver/redirfs/rfs_file.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/driver/redirfs] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-32-generic’
make: *** [all] Error 2
make -C /lib/modules/uname -r/build M=/tmp/driver/redirfs modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-32-generic' DEPMOD 3.13.0-32-generic make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-32-generic’
make -C /lib/modules/uname -r/build M=/tmp/driver/avflt EXTRA_CFLAGS=-I/tmp/driver/redirfs modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-32-generic' DEPMOD 3.13.0-32-generic make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-32-generic’
modprobe: FATAL: Module redirfs not found.

RedirFS kernel modules installation failed.

$Stopping cmdagent: The cmdagent stopped successfully!
$Starting cmdagent: The cmdagent started successfully!
$Stopping cmgdaemon: The cmgdaemon stopped successfully!
$Starting cmgdaemon: The cmgdaemon started successfully!

COMODO Antivirus is successfully configured, you can start it from Menu or Desktop.

This prevents the proper installation and operation of the program itself - EVEN THOUGH Comodo will run via GUI. It immediately sends a crash report on install and run. Please let us know when you are going to update the OS version for compatibility.

Although mrarnold seems determined to keep pushing the fact that Linux does not need anti-virus (a fact which I, too, believed until recently), following reports from a friend who also runs Ubuntu 14.04 (like myself) and has recently ‘caught’ one of the rare reported Linux ‘bugs’ (!), I decided to install CAVL on my PC.

It installed and runs quite happily as an occasional scanner, which is how I use it. The ‘filesystem filter driver’ problem is, as we all know, never going to be fixed; but as an occasional scanner, it works fine.

Most of my friends who run Linux, like myself, occasionally download packages from websites and the like, and it’s good to have a means of checking their integrity BEFORE installation.

If mrarnold is running CIS Premium he must be a Windows user, so how can he know what running a Linux installation is like? Either that, or he is simply quoting established dogma…! 88)

I used COMODO’s CIS for several years under Win XP, and never had any problems with it, so am more than happy to trust CAVL.

Regards,

Mike.

Hello mike.
Im an ex windows user.I have been using linux mint now for a few months and ditched windows altogether.I was using CIS as my main security on the windows system but as you may have gathered im a fairly new linux user and so my learning curve may be steep and upon research it seems an av on linux is pretty much useless except when using perhaps apps like “wine” or connecting with windows computers.

I only use software from the repositries.

He probably did not update his signature…

You should research cross platform threats that effect Linux…

Im curious to know if there are any future plans of working on CAVL? If so, are there plans to scan for more then just windows based malware?

Linux is stil fairly secure, and one can take several steps to make it even more so, but the use of an AV can be quite handy as well today. For the time being, im using Eset NOD32 4 for Linux, and it does scan for cross platform threats, not just windows based malware.

Additional steps can be,
leaving the rootpassword disabled “which it is by default” If you truly need to use it, make sure to disable again after use.
Creating or finding custom Policies for Apparmor,
Enabling UFW,
disabling automount of Media devices/UBS’s…

I would love to see Comodo step up in this ball game, Linux is slowly becoming more popular… Not to mention the percentage of Linux severs in use today, which goes without saying, run some kind of AV for the mass amount of Data.

I am starting to wonder if CAVL has now been abandoned by COMODO. It seems that is the case since we have to use a modified driver.tar file to even get the software to install with varying degrees of success.

For anyone else who has hit this problem, ignoring the dependancy seems to work OK.
dpkg --ignore-depends=libssl0.9.8 -i

Didn’t give me any errors when I asked it to update, and a scan ran OK.

Hello! :slight_smile:

Can I install CAVL on Tiny Core Linux? :slight_smile:
There is any differ between CAVL and CRD?

Thx

I find it very disheartening that our world has transcended into such a state of paranoia especially when we push our button on our computers.
I think too many people have been reading george orwell and that big brother is watching us.its only a fiction and the bogeymen are not waiting for us all to turn on our computers.

I have been using linux for approximately a year and never had an antivirus installed,

The world is heading in a worrying direction and this paranoia is not detrimental to our healths.