Alernative ways for Translation, Questions, etc Topic

Lets stick to the topic pls and pls allow volunteers to come thru…

you can create another thread if you wish to discuss alternative ways you would like to see translation done.

Please keep your support coming and register to help us translate!

thank you

Melih

What are you referring to Taiwanese? Traditional Chinese?

If you got your own people to translate to Chinese(Simplified?), it will be very easy converting Simplified Chinese to Traditional Chinese. Even MS Word can do that automatically.

what about Taiwanese ?I think you should say it as Traditional Chinese,understand, guy?

I’m a bit worried about this: some newbies are joining, saying they will help translate, and then leaving. :-\ I doubt some of them will remember or come back to help…

i believed that is one thing why there are 3 person for translating… to prevent that… i think… :wink:

Traditional Chinese is used in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, and are also used by many Chinese around the world. Using the term Taiwanese for Traditional Chinese just cause confusions.

I suggest Comodo employ the standard terms widely used in Windows and Linux OS, i.e. Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.

In post 1…
17)Taiwanese - danfong, speter, Will_Will - Done

You see. People get confused.

That why I said in my previous post that Comodo should use the standard term Traditional Chinese.

I’m living in Hong Kong doesn’t mean that I’m now typing in hongkongese.

Are you suggesting this one is invalid and should be removed?

Let me explain the situation.
We have two types of Chinese characters, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese.

Simplified Chinese characters are modified from Traditional Chinese by the Communist Party, i.e.,

Before 1950, we only had Traditional Chinese.

Now, People in mainland China use Simplified Chinese. But in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and many Chinese around the world, they are still using Traditional Chinese.

I notes that Comodo works on Chinese internally, but do not mention Traditional or Simplified Chinese. (I presume Comodo refers to Simplified Chinese as I noted Taiwanese down the list)

Hence;
a) If Comodo also works on both Simplified and Traditional Chinese internally, I think you can delete Taiwanese.
b) If Comodo do not work on Traditional Chinese internally, I think it is better correct the term Taiwanese to Traditional Chinese.

Hope I explained it clearly.

Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense now.

Ukrainian language.
scat at ukr.net

No. Most of the time The “Terminology” are different from Chinese(Simplified Chinese) and Taiwanese(Traditional Chinese).

Yes. Can Translate Chinese (Simplifed Chinese) to Taiwanese(Traditional Chinese) automatically from MS Word First, but the terminology should modify to fit Taiwan’s custom.

[at] Hkjoj:

From Wikipedia,
Taiwanese is a dialect of Mĭn Nán (Southern Min) spoken in Taiwan. The ancestors of the majority of Taiwanese people came from the southern part of Fùjiàn province and their language is very similar to the language of that region, particular to the dialect of Xiàmén.

Until the 1980s use of the Taiwanese language was banned in schools and the number of Taiwanese programmes on the radio and television was restricted. These restrictions have now been lifted and Taiwanese is taught as a subject in some schools and used as a medium of instruction in others. Some companies have made Taiwanese as their official language and Taiwanese broadcasts are now common.

Today about 70% of the population of Taiwan (15 million people) speak Taiwanese and most also speak Mandarin. Outside Taipei most people prefer to speak Taiwanese, though will speak Mandarin if they have to. Mandarin tends to be used in formal situations while Taiwanese tends to be used in informal situtations.

This remains as a choice for translation.
Would you be willing to help with this one?

From Wikipedia:

Taiwanese is a dialect of Mĭn Nán (Southern Min) spoken in Taiwan. The ancestors of the majority of Taiwanese people came from the southern part of Fùjiàn province and their language is very similar to the language of that region, particular to the dialect of Xiàmén.

Until the 1980s use of the Taiwanese language was banned in schools and the number of Taiwanese programmes on the radio and television was restricted. These restrictions have now been lifted and Taiwanese is taught as a subject in some schools and used as a medium of instruction in others. Some companies have made Taiwanese as their official language and Taiwanese broadcasts are now common.

Today about 70% of the population of Taiwan (15 million people) speak Taiwanese and most also speak Mandarin. Outside Taipei most people prefer to speak Taiwanese, though will speak Mandarin if they have to. Mandarin tends to be used in formal situations while Taiwanese tends to be used in informal situtations.

[at] John Buchanan
So, would you please clarifiy what Comodo wants to translate;

1. Simplified Chinese (Chinese in Simplified Chinese Characters)
  2. Traditional Chinese (Chinese in Traditional Chinese Characters)
  3. Taiwanese (Taiwan dialect in Traditional Chinese Characters)

All three?
I can contribute to item 2 if you can provide me with 1.

Hi WinBMY,
I agree with you for quality translation.

By the way, are you referring to Mĭn Nán or Mandarin for Taiwanese(Traditional Chinese)?

Um…I think that’s impossible to translate the CIS to Mĭn Nán, because most people in Taiwan speak in Mĭn Nán but not write in it. Mĭn Nán is only used to speak (of cause you can use Chinese words to spell it, but I think it would be very difficult to read for most Taiwanese).

Therefore, when we (danfong and I) saw the “Taiwanese Translation”, we thought it meant “Traditional Chinese” (even I could speak in Mĭn Nán).

Sometimes, Taiwan and China use quiet different words referring similar things or same words for
quiet different things. So, we would be glad to help to make a Traditional Chinese Version for users who use Traditional Chinese.

hello hkjoj

Like speter’s say, no matter what the real identifications of Taiwanese are, it is commonly accepted that Taiwanese is Chinese Traditional in terms of IT and this can be seen in many software crop. like microsoft and apple whose software inculde different languages and one of the languages called Chinese(Taiwan)/zh-tw is Chinese Traditional.

Hi Will_Will,
I’m not intended to introduce discussion of identfications of Taiwanese. I’m just concern on the terms for the language.

As I lives in Hong Kong, Chinese can mean both Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese. If Comodo is working on both of them internally, it will just duplicating your work.

Anyway, I thanks in advance for you and SPeter to create a Traditional Chinese Version for users who use Traditional Chinese.

After reading your comments, I know your concern.
Maybe we can discuss the detail in this Computer Security Forums: http://www.avpclub.ddns.info/discuz/viewthread.php?tid=17073&pid=138079&page=2&extra=#pid138079 (All the members there are willing to help the translation of CIS)
Because I can’t fully express myself in English, it may cause some misunderstandings. Second, since there are so many volunteers from different places, I think that our discussion may disturbed CIS users from other countries.
Anyway, I look forward to your participation. We could make a more general, understandable translation.