3.9 (508) - virus defs won't update

A specific RC/BETA issue? Yes, I suspect it is & based on the reported numbers, you’re probably right in that there was only small window for users to fall into this AV update trap (depending on their AV database version). But, we’ll need confirmation from the user to confirm this.

[b]All users with the AV update issue, please confirm your current AV database version (Miscellaneous - About) & if you had previously installed a 3.9 BETA/RC or not. Thanks.[/b]

I now have had 3.9.95478.509 three times installed and uninstalled again. Still i can’t update. I’m even happy if i get to the 5% mark. No network activity is visible, so it appears to go wrong before it can get to that. All the former workarounds that used to help don’t do that anymore.

During the beta stages everything worked fine until RC2. After a short break i returned to find the final version released. So i uninstalled the RC and installed the final. Since then i can’t get updates after finishing the installation. During installation the updates do get downloaded though. After installation i can browse, email, but just not, well you know now.

Hope you can find the cause of all this or help me find a solution.

Leoloek

Hi,

« Reply by leoloek #42 on: Today at 03:36:24 PM »

I now have had 3.9.95478.509 three times installed and uninstalled again. Still i can’t update. I’m even happy if i get to the 5% mark. No network activity is visible, so it appears to go wrong before it can get to that. All the former workarounds that used to help don’t do that anymore.

During the beta stages everything worked fine until RC2. After a short break i returned to find the final version released. So i uninstalled the RC and installed the final. Since then i can’t get updates after finishing the installation. During installation the updates do get downloaded though. After installation i can browse, email, but just not, well you know now.

Hope you can find the cause of all this or help me find a solution.

Leoloek

Can you please tell us what error you get while updating?

Thanks
-umesh

I have the AV update issue, and NEVER installed 3.9 BETA/RC. I have installed 3.9.507 and update it to 508, then to 509. When I update the virus defs, it fails with error ‘Failed to update the virus signature database. Please check your internet connection and try again later’. It can be worked around in my case if I update the virus defs through local HTTP proxy. Maybe it helps. Windows XP Prof SP3.

Thanks, olomor. Can you remember what CIS’s AV database version was when the AV was failing to update?

umesh: Not just an BETA/RC issue. How is the proxy workaround working?

AV database version was 1157 or 1160. I cannot remember exactly. The proxy workaround means that you need to install local HTTP proxy onto your computer (f.e. HandyCache in my case), then in Comodo ‘Miscellanious\Settings’ (‘Proxy’ tab) put “the tick” in ‘Use http proxy’, 127.0.0.1 in ‘Server’, 8080 in ‘Port’ (the proxy settings can be different in your case), then press OK. After this the virus defs update is working in my case.

Hello Umesh,

I have attached the screenshot.

Doesn’t differ from what i’ve seen elsewhere.

Leoloek

[attachment deleted by admin]

olmor

Sorry, that question was for umesh really. I believed that we previously had an understanding of what the problem was (first step to solving it) & it’s scope. However, given your information that you hadn’t installed a BETA or RC, that throws into doubt the scope of the problem (it might be bigger than we previously believed). And the proxy work-around doesn’t really fit with what I thought the problem might be.

Hi,

I’m completely new to Comodo as of two days ago, 18th May, when I installed CIS_Setup_3.9.76924.507_XP_Vista_x32. I have Database Version 1157 and am experiencing the same problem of the update jumping quickly to 5% and then to 30% and then telling me it’s not working and to check my internet connection. Everything else Internet-wise is working fine.

Comodo currently says my Virus Database has never been updated. It works fine on Windows 7 on my other partition.

Thanks in advance.

try updating the program, .509 is the newest version. Go under the mic tab at the top and hit check for updates. After it updates restart and try updating the av signatures again.

Comodo itself has updated to 3.9.95478.509 but it still has the same database update problem.

try doing a clean reinstall, from what I have seen that usually fixes it, and this time download it directly from here. https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews_cis/comodo_internet_security_3995478509_released-t39202.0.html

I uninstalled and did a clean install of the version you mentioned above but it still has the same problem.

When I click “Update Virus Database” it seems to download about 5-6 MB of something (well, there’s data coming in according to the “Local Area Connection Status” screen and there’s nothing else downloading) and then come up with the failure message. Does it have a timeout setting which deems the update a failure if it does not complete within an allotted amount of time? I have a slow connection so it takes a while for 5-6 MB to download so that could be the problem.

I repeated it several times and it did the same thing every time. It’s now downloaded 27 Meg overall in bits of 5-6 mb but never gets past 30%.

Thanks.

Kail/Umesh,

I think this could also cause trouble:
The 3.5/3.8 users used to download files like BASE_END_USER_v1xxx.cav but from 3.9 on that changed to incremental updates (previous 3.8 where full downloads) with names like BASE_UPD_END_USER_v1xxx.cav

Now if you are on a 3.5/3.8 system and your patterns lack behind and you upgrade to 3.9 the updater for 3.9 keeps searching for the updates from the DB version it has say v1020 to update to v117x it walks the web server for BASE_UPD_END_USER_v1xxx.cav files but from 1020 → 1057 those files are not there because they where named BASE_END_USER_v1xxx.cav and on a different UpdatePath /updates38.

Now the updater stalls at 30% complaining about your internet connection while in reality it could now download the gap between current and the version on the system. In reality it’s not your internet connection it’s a mix of a load of 404’s from the web server and the updater to fail to merge that gap.

I have the same problem…gets to 30% and tells me there is an internet connection problem.

Comodo 3.9.95478.509
Virus Version 1179

Come on Comodo…fix the problem!

1179 is the most recent (mine just updated again this morning).

Like i posted else where please use a packet sniffer to see what’s happening

For the others could you please check for updates with a packet sniffer running ?

You can use a simple one like SmartSniff from Nirsoft here:

Or a complexer one from Wireshark here:

That will give a clue about what the updater is doing on the network.

I received another update today also, 1182 is now my current db version

I’m running 1182 here also with the following hashes:

MD5 - D937E0C0BA85DF4E6BCC4ED54DA8439F
SHA1 - C220578B0285B9DB49DDD2ABFDAF8B30BC1208BF

Size: 84,9 MB (89.070.951 bytes)
Size on disk: 84,9 MB (89.071.616 bytes)

If you like to compare hashes you can use this tool here:

If you had trouble with updates would you be willing to check and see if they match ?

I also had a problem approx 5 hrs ago on 1179 could not update now on 1182 update check working fine now.
Dennis