Secondary AntiMalware Program to Compliment CIS7

Hoping several of you might be able to suggest what FREE secondary anti malware program I can use to compliment CIS7.

Currently I have Malwarebytes, Emmsisoft, and Superantispyware, and all are set to either manual mode or disabled.

I would like to run a secondary program in automatic mode if there are no conflicts with CIS7.

Also why you might not run a certain program in automatic mode ?

Thanks
UncleDoug

Hi, UncleDoug,

do you mean “real time protection” when saying “automatic mode”?

That’s not recommended.
It’s not a problem with the databases, rather with the way those different engines are working by technical means.
There could be severe conflicts, including BSOD’S.

MBAM free and Emsisoft Emergency kit are rather fine choices. SAS not so much (these days), imho.
I’d really recommend you to use Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (v. 11 atm) as an additional layer, i. e. scan-on-demand tool, just for reassuring. It’s a fine prog, just don’t forget to set it at it’s highest detection level.

Kind regards, REBOL. :slight_smile:

Then there’s HitmanPro, of course. (free scan and removal)

Others I’d recommend are Panda Cloud Cleaner

and

ESET Online Scanner

http://www.eset.com/int/home/products/online-scanner/

Regarding adware removal, nothing really beats AdwCleaner at the moment.

Kind regards, REBOL. :slight_smile:

Same goes for HIPS mostly (regarding incompabilities / abundance).

Maybe something like “Spyshelter free” (if on 32 bit, not working on 64 bit, though) and / or “Zemana free” (both good, but far from full capabilities) could prevent some nasty rare keyloggers going undetected by CIS from doing harm to your privacy. (Yet, Zemana seems to be somewhat loosely related to Google Inc., I’ve heard…)

Then (as you’re already using MBAM) there’s the free version of MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit (free version only giving protection to common browsers now)

It’s now compatible with EMET, they say?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544/en

Guess we’re getting paranoid now. :slight_smile:

Kind regards, REBOL.

Considering all that secondary scanners, I don’t recommend running one in “automatic mode”/real-time because of these reasons:

1. Excess RAM and CPU usage which of course would lead to massive slowdowns and possibly reducing productivity.
  2. Redundant mechanisms that makes itself prone to so many other problems.
  3. This reason.
  4. This, too.

Hence, I don’t recommend AV’s and instead, recommend the ff:

1. SpyShelter
  2. Autoruns
  3. WinPatrol
  4. X-Ray
  5. Process Explorer
  6. ProcessLasso/Process Tamer
  7. Xyvos
  8. What’s my Computer Doing
  9. BSA+Sandboxie
  10. The FolderSpy
  11. OSSEC
  12. An external bootable OS (Puppy,Slitaz,Qubes,TAILS)

I don’t know really. Haven’t been in Windows for a few years now (5 or 6, I think).

EDIT:
Oh and NTFS File permissions and mostly just some obscure portable software. Keeps you hidden. Relatively.

Any “on-demand” scanner can be used with CIS. I use HitmanPro, TDSSKiller, MalwareBytes, and SuperAntiSpyware. If you are using CAV do NOT use another resident program unless it specifically states that it can be used with another resident AV.