Author Topic: Ad-aware 10 Early Preview  (Read 11390 times)

Offline naren

• Comodo's Hero
Re: Ad-aware 10
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 06:40:47 AM »
I tested Ad-aware 10 Free & UnThreat Free as both uses Vipre engine, with 38 zeroday malware on real system XP SP3.

First I did a right click scan on 38 malware. The results were same for both Ad-aware & UnThreat i.e 13 malware missed. No probs with right click scan here.

Then I did execution test i.e I opened the folder containing 38 malware. The realtime component detected malware on opening the folder & left 16 malware. Executed all 16 & at the end 13 malware were left with both Ad-aware & UnThreat. So no probs with realtime rpotection too here.

The detection  were same with both. UnThreat uses Vipre engine 4, any one know what Vipre engine Ad-aware uses?

Tested the same 38 malware with Avast 7 Beta. It missed 15 malware out of which 3 were autosandboxed, so it missed 12 malware.

Tested the same 38 malware with CAV. It missed 9 malware. All were either autosandboxed or got Unlimited Rights popups. One was found safe by cloud whitelist. Of the detected ones by CAV, 2 were detected by cloud AV & Cloud behaviour.

I also tested the same 38 malware with Avast 6. The difference between Avast 6 & 7 Beta was none. Only Avast 7 Beta autosandboxed 1 more malware compared to Avast 6.

Waiting for CIS 6 Beta & CCAV Beta.....

Offline dannyyap2006

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
I still experience the problem of right click scan...Maybe it's still in beta version because Lavasoft's official website still show the old version.

Offline dannyyap2006

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
Hi guys!

According to the forum of Lavasoft, Ad Aware 10 is not released yet.

For more info, you can check the link as follows:
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32132-general-questions-about-ad-aware-free-10/

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Ad-aware 10 Early Preview
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »
Hi guys!

According to the forum of Lavasoft, Ad Aware 10 is not released yet.

For more info, you can check the link as follows:
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32132-general-questions-about-ad-aware-free-10/
I edited the title and start post to inform this is a preview.

Offline dannyyap2006

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
According to their forum, this new version has file protection, registry protection, process protection and network protection...Nice to see there is another good freeware in the market.

Offline supfreaked

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »
If they add some sort of sand box, or HIPS, and get there detection rate up it might be usable. Signature based detection just does not cut it anymore.

They are saying they are offering Sandbox in free - maybe it's not implemented yet?  HIPS is available in Pro (play with the app - I found it). 

Tried to go to MDL and hit the URLs - it blocked every single one of them for me (toolbar screen with Security Warning).  I tested all of the freshest ones - it's working for me.  The bad thing though is that it lets you continue to the site if you want to!  It should prevent users and not give them the option.

Wasn't brave enough to attempt to run malware on there nor did I have the time (setting up VMs).

Offline naren

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »
They are saying they are offering Sandbox in free - maybe it's not implemented yet?  HIPS is available in Pro (play with the app - I found it). 

Tried to go to MDL and hit the URLs - it blocked every single one of them for me (toolbar screen with Security Warning).  I tested all of the freshest ones - it's working for me.  The bad thing though is that it lets you continue to the site if you want to!  It should prevent users and not give them the option.

Wasn't brave enough to attempt to run malware on there nor did I have the time (setting up VMs).

Sandbox is in pro version.

Offline sAyer

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 09:59:18 AM »
I tested the freeware version on the default settings without the toolbar. Maybe I should have tested with the toolbar. I'm not a big fan of any type of toolbar, but I guess it serves as a web filter. I was more interested in the signature detection. True most infections are browser based, but many aren't.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:35:45 AM by sAyer »
"You affect the world by what you browse." - Tim Berners-Lee

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek