Poll

Do you want that Comodo Time Machine continue to be developed?

Yes, please, save and keep the technology on.
No. It's not necessary, I'll use whatever Microsoft make for Windows 8.
Never mind, I use other product (concurrence).

Author Topic: Save Comodo Time Machine!  (Read 307271 times)

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
Save Comodo Time Machine!
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:46:28 AM »
Microsoft could be developing an enhanced system restore on Windows 8.
The evidences leaked but they go for a file backup (shadow copy) and not for low level snapshots technology of CTM.
Melih is waiting for Microsoft's answer to continue developing CTM (see here and here).
Comodo already owns the code but stop developing  :'(

We, users (for instance: Ronny and OmeletGuy Moderators; Valentin N and I and a lot of others), want it to be saved! And keep the snapshot technology to be developed.

What do you think? Are you with us?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:03:15 PM by Tech »
avast! team member
Save freeware snapshot technology of Comodo Time Machine. Vote!

Offline SerB

• Comodo's Hero
Re: Save Comodo Time Machine! Poll to keep it alive
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 07:48:20 AM »
Hi Tech!

I use an CTM 2.8 to 2 personal computers. Previously, there were some errors in CTM, but now I really like the CTM. Many users with Russian Forum also want to continue using CTM on their PC. Much work has already been done and little is left before the release of 2.9 ...3.0.   Let's do it!

P.S.  Windows 8 is far  ;)  and do not like it -
The evidences leaked but they go for a file backup (shadow copy) and not for low level snapshots technology of CTM

In advance thank Comodo!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:28:24 AM by SerB »

Offline wiseyu

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 07:57:46 AM »
CTM is a good software. But its technology is not mature. CTM had many disk failures in user's computers.
Windows 8 will have a reset restore future. Maybe developing of CTM should be considered again if the technology is still not mature.

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:11:40 AM »
wiseyu, the concurrence uses the technology and sell it. It's stable and Comodo team could make it so. I'm not saying to get it into seconds, but to continue to develop it.
avast! team member

Offline Daniel Jackson

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
I also would like to see future CTM development. CTM helped me when my PC was infected or I tried new software...

Offline Ronny

• Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Volunteer Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
You have my vote  :-TU
Volunteer Moderator
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline SivaSuresh

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Avert the danger that has not yet come
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
my vote too
with love Siva Suresh
|| Windows8 x64 | CIS 6 | Waterfox | Comodo Dragon x86 | Thunderbird | CCleaner | Evernote | PStart | SuperCopier | Dropbox | TeamViewer | Screenshot Captor ||
|| AMD Phenom II x4 955B | ASUS M4A88TD | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 240GB Sandisk SSD  || 3TB SATA II HDD 6Gb/s

Offline Boris 3

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »
I had rather that Comodo abandon CTM and concentrate its efforts on CB to make it a very reliable and easy to use back-image and restore software with the same usabilities than Acronis. Backing image and restoring can save also your computers in case of infection. It allows you as well to test softwares and come back in time by retoring a previous image. I truly believe that backup & restore softwares are easier to use for many users than time machines.

I even think that harware vendors should systematically advise their customers to install such a software.

Boris

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »
Boris, one technology does not exclude the other.
You can make full backups and restore them within 30 minutes.
But you can use snapshot technology and restore a computer in 3 minutes.
It is a great advantage for testing software and also allowing much more snapshots (backups) than backup programs (like CB).
avast! team member

Offline Boris 3

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
Tech,

as a user I prefer one product well developped, polished and finished than two products half finished. Right now I'm using Acronis but would happily switch to CB if one day it offers the same functionalities. I will never use time machine technology. I'm not in Comodo's board and then don't know why CTM and CB don't improve quicker. But if it is for a question of ressources allocation, for me they can let go of CTM and concentrate on CB.

You start a topic and a poll but it seems that you expect only lovers of CTM to give their opinions.

You can make full backups and restore them within 30 minutes.
I'm sorry to contradict you but it takes me less than 5 min to back and the same time to restore my system.

It is a great advantage for testing software and also allowing much more snapshots (backups) than backup programs (like CB).
Surely VM are more usable to test softwares.
If you want to keep a large amount of snapshots, the free space of your "protected" disk will be eaten up while you can save back-images on an extenal support.

Well in fact everybody is free to use the software the best suited to its needs.

But if you make an appeal to "save" CTM, don't be upset if everybody isn't following you.

Boris

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:43:03 PM »
Everything matures with age, also variety and choices of any kind are good to have.  :-TU
Edit- typo
A good read guaranteed.
Forum Policy - Updated on January 3, 2013
PrivDog: The Dog that not only barks at uninvited guests, but rather destroys the intruder.

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm going to go out with a bang
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
CTM is a good idea, just buggy (as many have pointed out to me :)).  I hope it can be continued.

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Tech, as a user I prefer one product well developped, polished and finished than two products half finished.
Me too, fully agree. But Comodo company is not that small that cannot develop this two products.
By the way, Comodo develop dozen products at a time...

I will never use time machine technology.
I will.

I'm not in Comodo's board and then don't know why CTM and CB don't improve quicker. But if it is for a question of ressources allocation, for me they can let go of CTM and concentrate on CB.
There are tons of backup tools out there.
There is not a CTM.
I will do the opposite :)

You start a topic and a poll but it seems that you expect only lovers of CTM to give their opinions.
I'm sorry to contradict you but it takes me less than 5 min to back and the same time to restore my system.
No problems. We're just talking. I respect other opinions.

Surely VM are more usable to test softwares.
I use it :)

But if you make an appeal to "save" CTM, don't be upset if everybody isn't following you.
For sure I'm not. I will open a thread and not a poll. I won't add two options for "no" and only one for "yes" :)
avast! team member

Offline MetalShaun

• Comodo's Hero
    • Mw Computers
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 06:22:21 PM »
I don't understand why Microsoft including a CTM like program in windows should stop Comodo developing CTM?? Microsoft include a browser in windows but we still have Dragon, Microsoft include backup software but we still have CBU and Microsoft have MSE but will have CIS. It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't think Microsoft including something in windows would mean the end of "time machine" sofware. you install something like CTM because it goes above and beyond the basic, simple stuff Microsoft include with windows with extra features, performance etc. 

Cheers
Shaun

Offline Tech

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
I don't understand why Microsoft including a CTM like program in windows should stop Comodo developing CTM?? Microsoft include a browser in windows but we still have Dragon, Microsoft include backup software but we still have CBU and Microsoft have MSE but will have CIS. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks. Seems logic. Melih could come here and drop his opinion ;)

I don't think Microsoft including something in windows would mean the end of "time machine" sofware. you install something like CTM because it goes above and beyond the basic, simple stuff Microsoft include with windows with extra features, performance etc. 
Thanks Shaun. That's a question for Melih.
avast! team member

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek