0 (0%)
CIS 4
37 (59.7%)
Comodo Internet Security 2010
16 (25.8%)
Other (Your proposition)
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: What about Comodo Internet Security 2010 ?  (Read 29536 times)

Offline DragonMaster Jay

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo Family Member
  • Malware expert
    • The Ultimate Geek TaskForce!
Re: What about Comodo Internet Security 2010 ?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »
It is perfectly relevant to this discussion. Changing the date will have no effect. Plain and simple. Don't avoid the discussion.

If users would buy 2010 and not be satisfied, they will say "I should've stayed with 2009!" That would also not allow for multiple releases during the year.
DragonMaster Jay
Malware researcher
Owner - Cheetah-Anti-Malware Development Group

Offline Graham1

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »
That's all true but, irrelevant to this discussion. The thread,as I see it, is what name would give CIS the greatest recognition and acceptance by the general public.

Definately the year (i.e COMODO Internet Security 2010). COMODO Internet Security 3.10 or 4 would mean nothing to the average user. Also, as an average user, I think they would go for a "higher" version product which would show how mature (in versions) it has been around.

:)

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 06:41:04 PM »
It is perfectly relevant to this discussion. Changing the date will have no effect. Plain and simple. Don't avoid the discussion.

If users would buy 2010 and not be satisfied, they will say "I should've stayed with 2009!" That would also not allow for multiple releases during the year.

It certainly would allow for multiple releases. As I said before, someone downloading CIS from the website would always be getting the latest release, no matter how many were done since the original name was given. The purpose of the name is to attract them to the site in the first place. A new release does not have to have a new name. It could still be called 2010 even if the internal version number was  4.8 or even 5. whatever. Call it CIS 2010 for the general public and let the people already using it be concerned with version and build numbers that they will get through updates.

As far as wishing they would have stayed with a previous version, that could happen no matter what the name is. Keeping it at v4 will only be relevant to the people who already know that it is the latest, the current users. A casual browser of the net who saw that would have no clue how old that version is. It seems that at the present time, paid suites use the year names and the free ones use version numbers. That doesn't mean Comodo has to do the same.

People using Norton and  other products only care about the yearly names to know there is a new version even though they receive new builds of their present apps periodically as needed. Most of them have no idea what the actual version number is and couldn't care less. If you are asked what version of a program you are using and you say "2010", the inquirer knows you have the latest. If you would say (in the case of Norton), v16, they would have no idea.  Since the major changes in CIS v4 have to do with improving usability and reducing the amount of technical knowledge needed to use the product, changing the name to one that also better serves the same purposes is only fitting and will help more to attract new users.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:59:40 PM by Dch48 »
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Offline Endymion

• Comodo's Hero
  • Reality is subordinate to perception.
    • Faces -The Madman (Kahlil Gibran, 1918)
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 06:08:15 AM »
If you are asked what version of a program you are using and you say "2010", the inquirer knows you have the latest.

Wouldn't asking the same question in 2010 will lead such inquirer to expect 2011?

Indeed it looks like most vendors are a year ahead :D

To prevent any average user to misunderstand 2011 or 2012 would be better as this take in account of those who don't care about versions and those who barely care thus having nobody misunderstand the most recent version for one of the year past gone (since the next major CIS release is apparently scheduled for the 4th quarter of this year) :-TU
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:10:02 AM by Endymion »
I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)

Xman

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 12:05:19 PM »
Personaly im ok with just CIS v4!

I dont like CIS 2010, as there maybe more then 1 release for CIS in 2010
Agreed my Canadian friend, anybody who has ever followed the progress of the firewall since v2.4 to today will without a doubt realize how far Comodo has gone and especially where they're heading, keep it simple and keep CIS V4.0... :-TU
Cheers :Beer
Xman 8)

Offline John Buchanan

• The greatest victory comes from the battle within.
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Personal Dragons can be defeated. Improve yourself
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »
I agree, Xman.  Keep it 'CIS v4'
Please follow Comodo Forum Policy

Offline xiuhcoatl

• Unaffiliated Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »
Exactly :)) The trick is in the attractive name for the new users.If CIS 4 really gonna be one great and strong product, it should have a big and strong name.  :P0l

Let´s call it "Big Strong CIS v4"  ;D 88)
When things go wrong, and they usually will,and your daily road, seems all uphill, when machines are down,and tempers high, when you try to smile, but can only cry,and you really feel you'd like to quit, don't run to me I don't give a sh*t.
(A semi retired systems analyst's credo)

Xman

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 12:19:42 PM »
Hi John, what a sweat all the same, that we'll have to stick it out till December to just see the Beta of CIS V4.00 it's excruciating all the same isn't it though? Oh well as we say in french, c'est mouriir à petit feu à chaque jour, (I'm dying slowly a little bit every day) :D :P
Xman 8)

Offline John Buchanan

• The greatest victory comes from the battle within.
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Personal Dragons can be defeated. Improve yourself
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 05:27:25 PM »
Very true, Xman
Please follow Comodo Forum Policy

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 06:52:22 PM »
Wouldn't asking the same question in 2010 will lead such inquirer to expect 2011?

Not if no 2011 version has been released yet.
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU

Offline Endymion

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 05:11:47 AM »
Not if no 2011 version has been released yet.
Guess you noticed the yearly patters as we still are in 2009 and there are already 3rd party 2010 suites.

In 2010 there will be 2011 suites whereas it looks unlikely to assume that the same users who has difficulties to figure out the latest version without year numbers will be informed about the release dates of the available products thus accounting for the year version alone.

Indeed since the year number were a way to avoid such confusion it would be somewhat disappointing to have such users implicitly misunderstand a 2011 type suite like V4 for a 2010 one. :(

I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Offline DaRtH VaDeR.

• Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Everything in life comes to an end, exept life
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
I don't think it is a good idea to use years as a name for a new release for a new product even for use in marketing.... using numbers gives much more room for possibilities...... (:WIN)
DaRtH VaDeR says: "The path of success and progress is not to be reached by the things you have done, but by the things you will do, so think before you act,the voice of your history will confirm this fact.."

DaRtH VaDeR says: "Your system is as secure as the weakest link in your entire security"

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 02:44:41 PM »
Guess you noticed the yearly patters as we still are in 2009 and there are already 3rd party 2010 suites.

In 2010 there will be 2011 suites whereas it looks unlikely to assume that the same users who has difficulties to figure out the latest version without year numbers will be informed about the release dates of the available products thus accounting for the year version alone.

Indeed since the year number were a way to avoid such confusion it would be somewhat disappointing to have such users implicitly misunderstand a 2011 type suite like V4 for a 2010 one. :(

It doesn't matter if there will be suites labeled 2011 in 2010 or not. If no 2011 product exists for the app in question , nobody will expect you to say you are using it. Also, none of the vendors who use the yearly name format bring out a version with the next year's name before June at the earliest. It is always in the second half of the year and sometimes not until the third quarter when these products start to appear.

Year numbers are a much more easily discernible way to determine a product's age than it's version number. Only those already in the know will be able to tell by a product's version or build number.

Another thing is that vendors can give their products any version number they want and make it appear that the program has been intensively developed. You can't call someting XXXX 2015 and get away with it.

AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU

Offline Endymion

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 05:32:16 AM »
It doesn't matter if there will be suites labeled 2011 in 2010 or not. If no 2011 product exists for the app in question , nobody will expect you to say you are using it.

Under this premise CIS 4 will do as much well as CIS 2011 or CIS 2012.
Indeed according to the above assumption it wouldn't matter if the version got a single digit number or a year as long it is the highest number available for that product.

Also, none of the vendors who use the yearly name format bring out a version with the next year's name before June at the earliest. It is always in the second half of the year and sometimes not until the third quarter when these products start to appear.

Year numbers are a much more easily discernible way to determine a product's age than it's version number. Only those already in the know will be able to tell by a product's version or build number.

Guess as per you above premise the year is not relevant to discern the most recent version of a vendor's product as indeed users have only to get the one with the highest number as you mentioned.

Guessing the product age from an year would be something different from getting the latest release of a specific product whereas since the year version bring forth age related conjectures it means that an user could get the next CIS major version and consider it as much new as the others 2010 suites or, once other vendors release their 2011 version in 2010, even older than other products regardless how much little difference there will actually be between the release dates.

Considering CIS 4 is seemingly scheduled between latest 2009 quarter and the first 2010 quarter I wouldn't care the less about the time when few other vendors will issue their yearly releases but I would find disappointing for those users to misunderstand V4 as something as recent as the other 2010 suites around the time it will be released despite being a more _recent_ product.

Another thing is that vendors can give their products any version number they want and make it appear that the program has been intensively developed. You can't call someting XXXX 2015 and get away with it.

It wouldn't make sense to call 2010 whatsoever product released in 2009 either, though it happens all the times... before the users will get to see 2010 on their agendas/calendars...

...and before a new major version will be actually released in 2010.

Besides as long an user won't get particularly interested in vendors specific release patterns, something seemingly unlikely, as a rule of thumb all they have to do is subtract one from the version number to guess the year of release disregarding the month.

Why should they make more than that for a version number whose purpose so far was supposedly meant to have them take it easy?  ???
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:38:48 AM by Endymion »

Offline bequick

• Comodo's Hero
    • GooGle
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »
Hi again  :D Hey, I was in the bathroom and was thinking about:''why do i like comodo?'' and thought appeared. :-La Because comodo doesn't trust anybody. :)It's just like me. :) So..i was thinking and new motto popped up in my mind. ''Don't talk to strangers!'' I like the original motto ''creating trust online'', but this might be something like secondary motto, just for one product...for example....CIS 4(comodo internet security etc...)  :-La It's very similar to Melih's preaching about default<->deny© protection. Excuse me, just sharing my thoughts with You. Don't want to meddle in or intercept.  :)

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek