Author Topic: cmdagent taking up CPU, slows down everything  (Read 18295 times)

Offline MJR1

• Comodo's Hero
Re: cmdagent taking up CPU, slows down everything
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 11:52:22 PM »
How old is your laptop?  Almost every new laptop is duel core all of the ones I've seen  from 600 dollars and up at least.

Offline SirComo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »
How old is your laptop?  Almost every new laptop is duel core all of the ones I've seen  from 600 dollars and up at least.

You're missing the point. It is not OK for cmdagent to take up a core for about 45 sec. when an application starts even if you have 16 cores available. You may not notice it but that doesn't mean cmdagent doesn't have a problem. If we're buying more cores to run security software, we're having a problem. Security software should be highly optimized and performant. My experience with CIS 5.0 is that it was decent for my hardware, the problems started with the upgrade to 5.3 Now, a clean install of 5.3 may not have this issue, maybe it happens only as the result of an upgrade from 5.0 to 5.3 but that still points to a bug in CIS.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:42:10 PM by SirComo »

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 05:03:16 PM »
Does this only happen when you are trying to run programs through cygwin?

Offline SirComo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
Does this only happen when you are trying to run programs through cygwin?

No, I can see it with a few apps. It seems that it's apps that load a bunch of DLLs or launch helper apps as each one has to be scanned. It's also the windows command prompt (cmd.exe) followed by the windows ping.exe, it just hangs there for a good amount of time before ping actually starts doing something. All this time cmdagent is the top CPU hog, as soon as it calms down the apps respond.

I've turned off real-time a/v scanning and I'm not seeing any of these problems. D+ is still in Clean PC Mode so that part doesn't seem to be the culprit. I think I'm pretty sure at this point it's the real-time a/v that's causing this. I tried both Stateful and On Access, same behavior.

Offline Nuser

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »
Yet another post about CIS using a complete processor core. I suggest the "system requirements" is altered to "minimum 4 core"  88)

Offline Umbra Polaris

• Comodo Loves me
  • Shadow in the Dark
    • Umbra's Computer Security
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »
one time, i had a that kind of issues on my win7 x64 when i tried to install a software from a "not so legal" website. i tried with the same software downloaded from the legal website: no  problem.

Offline SirComo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »
Any news on an upcoming release that may be fixing this issue? I'm about ready to give up on CIS, just keep the firewall and use Windows Defender and MSE instead of the rest of CIS. The a/v part never worked right and it has been a while since it was introduced, I'm disappointed to see it's not getting better.

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 06:37:41 AM »
Yet another post about CIS using a complete processor core. I suggest the "system requirements" is altered to "minimum 4 core"  88)

I had it running on a Pent 3 single with 384 ram no problems Xp SP2. I don't think high performance systems are required.
A good read guaranteed.
Forum Policy - Updated on January 3, 2013
PrivDog: The Dog that not only barks at uninvited guests, but rather destroys the intruder.

Offline SirComo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
This is happening on Windows 7 Pro x64 too on a fresh install of both the OS and CIS. The problem is the real-time A/V. As soon as I disable the real-time A/V, I don't see the problem. I give up on the Comodo A/V, it never worked right or performed well, time to get MSE installed.

Offline KyferEz

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 11:42:36 AM »
Same problem on a dual-core laptop. cmdagent suddenly stated taking up 100% of BOTH cores at times.

I do not have a virus or any rootkits on my machine, unless there's a new rootkit that happens to undetectable by gmer.

I have the problem with the A/V set to stateful; I never have it set to ON Access. Once I switched it to Disabled for a few minutes, and back to stateful, it seems to work ok. I am using v5.4.189068.1354 with virus db 8603.

There is a PROBLEM, not just a performance issue. The resolution is NOT the foolish suggestion of nuser, because there exists the possibility that cmdagent could take 100% of all 4 cores...

Offline Victor Popescu

• Comodo's Hero
  • Say Hello To My Little Comodo !!!
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »
No problems here. I use win xp pro sp3 32 bit and I have an ancient pc, single core, 1 gb ram. I didn't noticed any difference in performance change from 5.0 to 5.3...

Maybe you have some software conflicts if you say that the problem occurs only when your av is turned on...
"It's all a game, avoiding failure, when true colors will bleed
All in the name of misbehavior and the things we don't need
I lust for after no disaster can touch, touch us anymore
And more than ever, I hope to never fall, where ENOUGH is not the same it was before"... by Poets Of The Fall.

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
There is a PROBLEM, not just a performance issue. The resolution is NOT the foolish suggestion of nuser, because there exists the possibility that cmdagent could take 100% of all 4 cores...

Unfortunately, people tend to complain about this, but never post a bug report with information relevent to your system. It's not hard to do, just follow this guide. FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!

Without knowing some specifics, it's impossible for the developers to attempt to fix it. And it's obviously a system specific issue, as there are countless users (including myself) that run multiple core systems that have never had cmdagent monopolize multiple cores.

The more people that fill out bug reports with their system specific info, the better chance of a fix...

Offline SirComo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
There's more than a simple bug report that's needed. Comodo should provide a debug build to be used on systems that show such problems so they get the full story. A bug report doesn't help much.

Unfortunately I also sent many crash dumps to Comodo and never heard anything back from them, I'm not sure if they were received, if they are looking at them, they never asked for any more info or help them in any way, etc.

I'd love to see Comodo update these bug reports when they fix them.

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
A bug report doesn't help much.

It helps a lot more than a generic, This is a problem and Comodo needs to fix it! type post...

Offline MRCS

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 03:09:22 AM »
First of all, I don't know if this is a bug, per se.  On 5.3.175888.1227 I noticed a performance hit when using my backup software, XXClone, but not during regular operation.  I did not attribute this to CIS.  However on 5.4.189068.1354 the backup slowed way down so I had to look into it.  I found cmdagent CPU usage very high and turning off Realtime AV got it back to normal.  I also checked it during regular operation and it seemed to be active more than I would expect, although not to the level of being a nuisance.  This is not a complaint, CIS may just be doing what it's supposed to be doing.  Except that I would expect not so much CPU usage for Trusted and Safe programs & files.  Is this expected behavior?  As for backups, I now know that I need to turn off Realtime first.

Realtime: Stateful
XP Pro SP3 x86
Athlon64 3800+ (single core)

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek