Author Topic: Lack of interest. Please add ideas to help make it popular.  (Read 12304 times)

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Lack of interest. Please add ideas to help make it popular.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »
and of course the features from "Noscript"  There is no features like this in dragon,

Just turn off Javascript... ;)

But seriously, the problem with NoScript is that Javascript isn't as evil as the developer would like you to think it is. There are a lot of websites out there that use Javascript for navigation. NoScript breaks these pages by default.

The majority of malicious Javascript aren't navigation type scripts, but externally hosted scripts. Unless you regularly visit dubious websites, you aren't going to encounter any malicious Javascript contained in the locally hosted navigation type scripts.

A better approach to NoScript is to use a simple filter in AdBlock Plus.
Code: [Select]
*$script,third-party
This filter ensures that only locally hosted scripts are allowed to run, yet the site navigation is unaffected. This includes all scripts, not just Javascript, so external Flash content is also blocked.

If you encounter a site such as YouTube that uses content distribution servers, it's easy enough to add an excluded domain to the filter.
*$script,third-party,domain=~youtube.com

Multiple domains can be added with a pipe.
Code: [Select]
*$script,third-party,domain=~youtube.com|~whatever.com

Offline mart44

• Comodo Family Member
    • L&M's Photo - Graphics & Crafts Website
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 03:08:35 AM »
I agree about NoScript not being particularly desirable in CD. I started using Sandboxie with Firefox so I didn't have to restrict JavaScript functions. I now mostly use Google Chrome. I'm still deciding if Sandboxie is needed in view of sandboxing already being in place within Chrome and CD (a different kind of sandboxing I know).

I also agree about the update numbers and the frequency they appear at. I think a lot of people gauge other available versions of Chromium against the version number of Google Chrome. If an alternative doesn't equal or go beyond Google Chrome's number, there can be a feeling that it might not be up to date. This could result in some potential CD users staying with Google.

I stated elsewhere why I'm staying with Google Chrome at present. It's the WOT problem. I like my search results individually rated. If CD can overcome that, or offer something similar, I'll try again.

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
I'm still deciding if Sandboxie is needed in view of sandboxing already being in place within Chrome and CD (a different kind of sandboxing I know).

I run Dragon inside Sandboxie. It wasn't very long ago that an exploit used Flash Player to jump out of Chrome's sandbox. If I'm running Dragon in Sandboxie, malware will need to jump out of Chrome's access restrictions, then out of Sandboxie's virtualization in order to attempt anything on my system. ;)

Offline mart44

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »
It wasn't very long ago that an exploit used Flash Player to jump out of Chrome's sandbox.
Do you think that could have occurred within Google Chrome where Flash Player is integrated into the browser and therefore sandboxed by it too?

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »
Do you think that could have occurred within Google Chrome where Flash Player is integrated into the browser and therefore sandboxed by it too?

It did occur in Google Chrome...

And as far as I'm aware, the sandbox applies to all plugins in Chrome.

Offline zakazak

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »
i think its good that CD is a clone of chrome... chrome has a great reputation.. and if you add the "more security and disabled google home calling" features then it is just an even better browser? ;)

i also agree that people want an up-to-date browser.. so people will rather chose chrome v13 than CD v12

some suggestions are already here:
https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cd/new-ideas-for-comodo-dragon-t52254.0.html;msg536611#msg536611
but i would have a lot of ideas and will edit my post later.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:31:45 PM by zakazak »

Offline Bad Frogger

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »
I want to clear a few misconceptions. If I may...

Dragon is not a clone of Chrome.
They are alike because they are both built from Chromium source code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29

Don't get overly excited about version numbers.
Chromium 15.0 was released on 28 July 2011.
So suppose I build a new browser today, based on Chromium 15.
I will call it Badomium version 1.0
So what is better/newer.
Badomium 1.0 or Chrome 13 or Dragon 12?

One of the main first things Comodo does is to not add all the extra Google tracking stuff.

Bad
CIS    Firefox  NoScript  Please remember to follow The Forum Policy.

Offline zakazak

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »
ofc CD is not a real clone of chrome.. but for an average user its pretty much the same and he will think of a chrome-like-clone-browser. But with some great changes which makes it superior to chrome and chromanium or any other browser (which is the disabled google-tracking stuff, the comodo security features and the great performance of chromanium).

With each new release of chromanium there come a lot of "great" changes ? So to be able to keep up with chromanium you would also have to update DC. So why not updating DC with the same update cycles / release numbers as chromanium & chrome do and add the DC features to the new chromanium version?
People see a newer version of chromanium.. a better version.. new version would mean more secure,stable,faster and whatever people imagine with newer versions. So they also want the new chromanium based browser or atleast the same changes in the CD browser (but then you could also just go on with the version numbers of chromanium).

And i think the best way to promote CD is to tell people that this is chrome.. just way better ! Chrome is the most used browser (it passed firefox some weeks ago?) and so people already love this browser. If you then tell them that CD is even better because it has all the good chrome features while removing the bad ones and adding even more awesome comodo stuff.. then you just have to love CD :P

If you want to add a feature that no other browser so far has:
Add sync for all kind of OS (android,iphone,...). So people can save all their browser stuff on the cloud to the comodo server and have an app for each os to download it and import it. I use the non-free extension LastPass for that.

Something which no browser has out of the box as well: Check if the current visited website supports SSL. if yes automtically load the https version and ask the user if that site should always be visited via https instead of http.

And then think about more ways to make it secure. Add flashblock (javablock?), so people will have a grey box and have to click on it first before the flash content it getting loaded (this will also increase performance when loading sites), and give the user the option to enable/disable all that stuff (e.g. the site advisor.. i dont rly want/need it but cant remove or disable it?). Let people decide where their password should be stored (to make it atleast a bit harder for password stealers) and let people decide how to encrypt their passwords. A master password on startup to load the last saved session would be nice aswell. You could aswell make your own comodo adblock list.. and add the addon and the list to the browser (but ofc let people decide if they want that list and/or that addon). That could promote comodo browser even more (e.g. when some firefox user is setting up his adblock and read smth about the "comodo browser adblock list").

Maybe there is a way to add even more security for known and heavily used sites (facebook,gmail,hotmail,....).

And the best would be if people could decide about all that features while instlling CD. Do i want adblock ? which list ? .. flashblock ?  syncing ? ,....

I also wonder if there isnt some way to make this browser even more save with CIS. Like CIS will ONLY allow CD to open/read/modify the password-file of the browser. So a chrome-password-exportet.exe won't exist for this browser.

[at]edit: somwhow i also feel like CD needs more RAM than Chrome ? I have CD with ~4 addons less (same addons,same settings) and with 20 tabs it already uses 1,3gb RAM while chrome had ~50 Tabs with the same amount of RAM usage. But this also depends on each tab content so i guess i will make some real performance test later :)

[at]edit2: currently firefox with 98 tabs uses the same amount of RAM (~700mb) as CD with 15 Tabs :/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:43:46 AM by zakazak »

Offline mart44

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »
Where can I get Badomium version 1.0?  :)

Offline megamanx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »

It was an example, not a real thing.
When it's text, it's hard to tell a tone of voice sometimes, so I assume you were being serious. If you were, the first sentence was all necessary.

Offline Bad Frogger

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 02:59:47 PM »
Nice...lol.
It is pure Notware. ;D

Bad
CIS    Firefox  NoScript  Please remember to follow The Forum Policy.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek