Author Topic: Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say....  (Read 187373 times)

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say....
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »
One comment on symantec, right now I am testing Norton Internet Security 2010 BETA and it rules, the SONAR behavior analyzer has so for caught everything I have thrown at it that is zero day. Also it has a light memory foot print ( about 18MB) and I have not noticed any slow downs on my computer. I think that the 2010 suite will bring them back.
http://www.youtube.com/languy99

Software Reviews for all.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/languy99

Offline webbie146

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2009, 03:36:48 PM »
hey languy how come the sonar behavior works so good at you? you use all kinds of malware right? When does sonar detect a thread? when running the exe, ore when it completely installed like with roque av's?
i;m asking this because i tested it too and uhm i barly saw sonar popping up. For instance I download a fake av, signatures don't caught the exe, i try to run the exe, norton pops up with the info over the exe, like how many times downloaded, then i install it. But in the whole proces sonar never pops-up. Also when installed i let the roque run, rebooted but nothing.. Could you please explain, thnx :)

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »
I also tested the 2010 version and absolutely saw no difference with the 2009 version (well, for the big lines, there are some differences, but all minor). This SONAR, is it enabled by default ? If so, I don't think it's pretty effective as it never popped up in my tests...

eXPerience

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »
stock install, I would download malware and run them sandboxed. Sonar would pop up saying it had detected malicious avtivities. It would kill the processes and the original installer. I didn't do anything special to it, I have no idea why it did not work for you guys.

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2009, 02:00:03 AM »
stock install, I would download malware and run them sandboxed. Sonar would pop up saying it had detected malicious avtivities. It would kill the processes and the original installer. I didn't do anything special to it, I have no idea why it did not work for you guys.
Weird, perhaps a glitch in the program... Never mind, I will test it again in the stable version ;)

Xan

Offline webbie146

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 05:20:47 AM »
Weird, perhaps a glitch in the program... Never mind, I will test it again in the stable version ;)

Xan

yea indeed, it's probably somekind of bug ore something..

Offline Dch48

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:47 AM »
Sonar detected YOU and removed you-- ;D
AMD FX-6300 6 core CPU
Sapphire R9-270X GPU
Windows 8.1 64 bit, IE11 & Outlook 2007
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 full package, MBAM on Demand

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2009, 11:49:58 AM »
Sonar detected YOU and removed you-- ;D
lol  :D

Offline JoWa

• Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2009, 04:23:59 AM »
avast! Blog:
Can you Trust Free Anti-Virus? August 4th, 2009
Can you Trust Free Anti-Virus? (Part 2) August 6th, 2009
Ubuntu 14.10, 64-bit | Chrome 40β | HTTPS Everywhere
Forum Policy | Comodo Product Help

Offline DragonMaster Jay

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo Family Member
  • Malware expert
    • The Ultimate Geek TaskForce!
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2009, 06:03:13 AM »
Great articles indeed.

All I have to say is, CIS has a very good structure in its architecture. Not that the architecture is "complicated," but the fact that it indeed protects. It is the police officer of malware.

I could see a much better approach, like a link inside CIS window saying "Need help configuring? Get help at our forums." However, the current *Join the Comodo Forums* still works pretty good.
DragonMaster Jay
Malware researcher
Owner - Cheetah-Anti-Malware Development Group

Offline Mineria

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2009, 07:51:49 AM »
It's a long time ago where I quit using the products Norton offers.
Reason was that their Anti Virus could be remotely crashed and even allowed the remote attacker to bypass the firewall and infect the target system.
That's when I started to look for another solution, since I couldn't allow such a security leak on  my game servers .
After all, security is to protect you, not to be the target of the attack.
So I used Zone Alarm together with Avast for a while.
When I then changed to XPx64, I like a lot of other ZA users asked for the 64bit version, which still isn't released.
So again I had to look for a new solution.
Here is where I stumbled over Comodo Firewall (thanks to the guys over at Neowin).

So why do I prefer Comodo over other solutions?
Because it has the best interface when it comes to adjust settings by hand.
And it's easy to look over and find what you want.
Take Bullguard Firewall (because thats the latest I checked out for a project) as example, it might be a good firewall, but adjusting things by hand in it is hell.
Since they don't have the same structure for parting up the OSI layers in the interface.
Comodo has a way more logical way to make this visual.

Another thing I noticed with Comodo compared to other products is the implementation of a service  directly on the Windows TCP/IP stack.
Which means that Comodo offers direct layer 3 protection. (I still like to know if Comodo does it's ARP Frame detection at layer 2, since the term "Frame" is used) ^^

So for me Comodo Firewall is a winner compared to what others offer, both free and not free.

I don't know about Comodo Anti Virus, since I still go with Avast on that part.

Code: [Select]
Oracle: "You're going to have to make a choice. In one hand, you'll have Default Allow... And in the other hand, you'll have Default Deny. One of them is going to die... Which one... Will be up to you..."According to MS: Deny will always overrule Allow by default.  >:-D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:40:22 AM by Mineria »

Offline languy99

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
As much as I like comodo, I got such a great deal in KIS 2010 that I had to buy it. I will be switching both of my computers and my bothers over to it. The firewall is top notch, they have great signatures and they also have a zero day module that can stop anything that is not it's signatures or white list. They ton's of protection modules while using low ram (about 10MB) and no slow downs in browsing or anything. Also there are no FP that I have yet to encounter while having a good detection rate and only talks to you when it finds something. Sorry comodo but I might be back when my subscription expires in a year, hopefully V4 will be out by then and will be much better than it is now.

Offline Endymion

• Comodo's Hero
  • Reality is subordinate to perception.
    • Faces -The Madman (Kahlil Gibran, 1918)
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
Sorry comodo but I might be back when my subscription expires in a year, hopefully V4 will be out by then and will be much better than it is now.

Farewell  (:WAV)
I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)

Offline eXPerience

• Left the Forums
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Free Forever !
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »
As much as I like comodo, I got such a great deal in KIS 2010 that I had to buy it. I will be switching both of my computers and my bothers over to it. The firewall is top notch, they have great signatures and they also have a zero day module that can stop anything that is not it's signatures or white list. They ton's of protection modules while using low ram (about 10MB) and no slow downs in browsing or anything. Also there are no FP that I have yet to encounter while having a good detection rate and only talks to you when it finds something. Sorry comodo but I might be back when my subscription expires in a year, hopefully V4 will be out by then and will be much better than it is now.
I hope you will stick around ;)

eXPerience

Offline Mineria

« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
Just be sure to get the configuration correct.
Last admin I heard talking about KISS Firewalls was laughing at my software firewall, guess who of us that got hacked?... you probably mean Kaspersky thou... forgot that its spelled with 2xS like the rockband.
Another option is to have an older PC dedicated as network firewall.
You might be interested in reading about router hardening too, since that is the first line of defense.
If the router protecting a network is exposed to hackers, then so is the network behind it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:39:35 PM by Mineria »

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek