Symantec Acquired Verisign and this is what I think about it :)

Symantec Acquires Verisign

thanks
Melih

Good write-up, Melih.

Thanks John :slight_smile:

Symantec is a well known company that tried to push hard in the enterprise sector, so verisign customers will at least have heard of who is taking over. My thought is that it will be like Comodo, since Comodo is an authenticator and has a security suite, and now Symantec will be an authenticator with a security suite. The only difference is that Symantec will cost more than Comodo. :stuck_out_tongue: I doubt that now that Symantec has digital certificates to sell, they won’t give Norton away for free. Verisign was a trusted authenticator and I too applaud them for lasting as long as they did. They tried making the web a safer place. Let’s hope that they still have as good a quality and trust being under Symantec. I think they will, but only time will see what happens.

I see this as a serious threat to Comodo, what if Symantec starts making authentications for free?

pay $1.3B for $400M rev…then wipe that revenue off?
its a recipe for disaster imo!

Melih

I do not know how the authentication business works but Symantec is becoming very aggressive!

It is using PC Tools firewall to compete with CIS at Matousec and now it has improved PC Tools free AV to compete with other free AVs like Avast.
PC Tools AV now includes spyware protection as well.
http://free.pctools.com/free-antivirus/download/

I doubt that now that Symantec has digital certificates to sell, they won't give Norton away for free.
If they ever do, I'd be the first to go back but I too doubt that they will since they own PC Tools now and already offer free products there.

I hope they will give all their consumers security products to consumers for free! We do! Because we care for our users and we care about the security of internet!

I invite Symantec to do the same, Give all your consumer software for free to end users!!!

Melih

I do not know how the authentication business works but Symantec is becoming very aggressive
That's because Symantec is being nibbled away :BNC
Symantec Corporation has been tracking for about 2 months or so of the" GLOBAL PERCENTAGE OF 2010 SYMANTEC PRODUCT LINE USAGE AGAINST ACTUAL PRODUCTS BEEN SOLD OUT "

And the Corporation is "SAID TO BE EXTREMELY UNHAPPY AND DISAPPOINTED ABOUT THE REVEALED DATA THAT SHOWS : PIRATED VERSIONS HAS OUT NUMBERED OFFICIALLY SOLD PRODUCTS OF 2010 TO AN ALL MOST 70 FOLD ( yes that is correct 70 times )

:smiley: :wink:

wow no wonder these companies charge so much. I bet if they charged 10 dollars per year instead of $40 per year more people would but their products instead of stealing them. So lets say right now they sell two license and 140 get pirated. So that means for those two licenses they make $140 for those two licenses. But if you divide over the 140 stolen one, they are actually loosing over $9000. But if they charge $10 per license and lets say they sold 70 license this time they are making sales valued at $700 so they would make an actual profit of $560 over what they are making now.

based on download.com

Norton 360 version 4 is
Price: Free to try (30-day trial) $79.99 to buy

The way I see it is Symantec does whatever symantec wants

I’ve noticed that You feel very strong aggression about Symantec. Almost the same aggression that Avast feels about Comodo…

The users opinions does not represent avast company.