Author Topic: Protection vs Cleaning….two very different things!  (Read 85254 times)

Offline tretas

Re: Protection vs Cleaning….two very different things!
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »
Because cce is a special cleaning tool. No one says that comodo antivirus cant clean at all.
I guess, you should instead better react to what the other one says, instead of to what you think about his motives or whatever.Yes, but this should be the aim of both sides ;)

I think i read somewhere that CCE can clean Viruses that CIS can't...

That's why on a first-time installation, there should be a CCE run. And not every users do think about getting CCE+CIS. So, CIS sould Install and run CCE tech on the first-scan. Then remove it if you want, but i think a it should be scanned whit CCE automatically when installing CIS.

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2012, 01:38:16 AM »
I think i read somewhere that CCE can clean Viruses that CIS can't...
Hi tretas,
I'm not sure what & where you've read, but you probably read that despite you can run either CCE or KillSwitch you must not ever act upon their detection(s) - you system can be destroyed in no time before you can get help from any professional certified malware fighter

That's why on a first-time installation, there should be a CCE run. And not every users do think about getting CCE+CIS. So, CIS sould Install and run CCE tech on the first-scan. Then remove it if you want, but i think a it should be scanned whit CCE automatically when installing CIS.
Therefore I repeat myself again ... NO! Those Tools should not be offered to public (which is mostly less experienced users or users having no experience yet at all)
The said Utilities are for, say Geek Buddy, or other gurus, who can analyze the system & provide assistance with malware removal
At the moment, having some experience & being somehow involved ...at least by observing many "Removal sites", I haven't seen any certified maware fighter using the neither CCE not KillSwitch
Moreover, as soon as they dealing with infection where  CIS is installed the 1st advice is - disable Comodo's Sandbox in the 1s place / then sure AV (must do - no matter what Av) & Comodo's defense+  / ... plus in some cases complete uninsallation of CIS required, after which removal hopefully would be possible by using many different; known; acclaimed removal Utilities

Then, I'm sure that you'r aware of - there is no security yet developed (and never will be in foreseen future) which is (will) be capable to remove all infections
Moreover, after some "silent time" recent strain of infections managed to "learn again" :) hehe! how to substitute system files.
So, if you are courageous enough trying to even quarantine those if any AV (stressing) , or CCE or KillSwitch  correctly identify those. Your system is dead instantly!

reminder: always backup your precious data; have OS image  (I do not mean CTM snapshot!)

So, asking for CCE being included into the Suite and be running as 1st "defensive force" is just - going for a system Kill...(switch off  :) )

Cheers!
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), admin; CIS 3.14.130099.587 (firewall only; Proactive with Defense+)- that is the only Comodo's thing I need; Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Win 7 x64, admin (UAC off); Comodo Firewall 3.14; Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Offline JamesFrance

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2012, 04:30:15 AM »

At the moment, having some experience & being somehow involved ...at least by observing many "Removal sites", I haven't seen any certified maware fighter using the neither CCE not KillSwitch
Moreover, as soon as they dealing with infection where  CIS is installed the 1st advice is - disable Comodo's Sandbox in the 1s place / then sure AV (must do - no matter what Av) & Comodo's defense+  / ... plus in some cases complete uninsallation of CIS required, after which removal hopefully would be possible by using many different; known; acclaimed removal Utilities

The malware removal people tend to all follow the same procedure, as although there are many different helper sites their training is organised by a small group who set the methods to be used so that there is consistency.

The tools they use tend to be designed within their circle and I am not surprised that they have not introduced CCE, as there is some history between some of them and Comodo due to unfortunate misunderstandings in the past.

James

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »
Greetings JamesFrance ,

The malware removal people tend to all follow the same procedure
I disagree strongly. Where did you get that/seen that?

... as although there are many different helper sites their training is organised by a small group who set the methods to be used so that there is consistency...
How "small" is a group  ??? & how organized they are?
They are "organized" by common meaning - they have formal and strict educational procedure, which leads to "Certification" - strong & deep knowledge of the system internals; sound knowledge of multiple methods in order to fight different & specific types of malware.

Unfortunately as I can receive/see your message - you meant "conspiracy", but not "consistency"  :D & that is completely out of touch (no offense, but I have 2 b blunt here)    

The tools they use tend to be designed within their circle
some of those Tools - yes, but  not necessarily all of them
... & they using'em in a proper way; in a proper sequence when & if it's necessary. At the end of the day all that works in most cases
And you are presenting "their circle(s)" like it's some kind of closed dark "Order of the Jesuits" ;  "Freemasonry" ; & alike - that is not true & not fair enough

and I am not surprised that they have not introduced CCE, as there is some history between some of them and Comodo due to unfortunate misunderstandings in the past.
I have no idea about mentioned "unfortunate misunderstandings", but what I'm sure about, knowing some people from that "magic conspiracy circle" as you presented them - they would use Tools/Utilites as soon as the latter can be considered helpful & do the job

Finally again (I am annoying :) ) - if GeekBuddy folks can use the said Software (CCE/Killswitch) helping CIS users to get rid of malware they've caught - that's great... good luck.
But those Tools can be offered only as a separate Software for very advanced users(with the disclaimer similar to one in ComboFix, etc.)
& never within the Suite for ordinary users.  

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:28:39 PM by SiberLynx »
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), admin; CIS 3.14.130099.587 (firewall only; Proactive with Defense+)- that is the only Comodo's thing I need; Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Win 7 x64, admin (UAC off); Comodo Firewall 3.14; Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Offline JamesFrance

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2012, 03:07:11 AM »

Unfortunately as I can receive/see your message - you meant "conspiracy", but not "consistency"  :D & that is completely out of touch (no offense, but I have 2 b blunt here)    

You should not assume that I meant something quite different from what I wrote.   That would be quite wrong.

I have great respect for the useful and free service being given by those involved and have often referred others to them for assistance.   They give freely of their time, often for little thanks and no reward.
James

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »
For those who have not seen the topic: Comodo Cleaning Essentials review. It is done by PC Mag and is a favorable review.

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
Melih,

So I start with a clean system and protect with CIS
Every now and then, out of interest I run system cleaner, and if I run cloud scanner immediately afterwards it tells me that there are thousands or errors in my system - but gives no advice as to which comodo product to use to properly clean up...and just asks if i want online help. I don't. This leaves me with a nagging concern that there are shortcomings in released comodo oftware and encourages me to waste time looking for alternate products when I was perfectly happy with comodo.
In a word, disappointing.

David

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
Melih,

So I start with a clean system and protect with CIS
Every now and then, out of interest I run system cleaner, and if I run cloud scanner immediately afterwards it tells me that there are thousands or errors in my system - but gives no advice as to which comodo product to use to properly clean up...and just asks if i want online help. I don't. This leaves me with a nagging concern that there are shortcomings in released comodo oftware and encourages me to waste time looking for alternate products when I was perfectly happy with comodo.
In a word, disappointing.

David
What system cleaner are you running? Comodo Cloud Scanner? Registry errors and clutter in temp and other folders is not a security risk.

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
Using CSC v3.0.nnnnn.53   
and CCS v2.0.nnnnnnnnnn.21

Point taken - we are only talking clutter (mea culpa) but interesting because they are still there even after CCleaner is run after the comodo products.

I guess that means I have to find a product that will to sort out issues identified by Cloud Scanner if i am to optimise my system!!  Any suggestions?

BTW Why is Cloud Scanner so efficient if there is no recommended Comodo product to sort out non-security-risk registry errors and clutter?

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »
Using CSC v3.0.nnnnn.53   
and CCS v2.0.nnnnnnnnnn.21

Point taken - we are only talking clutter (mea culpa) but interesting because they are still there even after CCleaner is run after the comodo products.
CCleaner is not a very thorough registry cleaner. I use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and Auslogics Registry cleaner who do a more thorough job.

I guess that means I have to find a product that will to sort out issues identified by Cloud Scanner if i am to optimise my system!!  Any suggestions?
To be honest. I had forgotten Comodo Cloud Scanner existed. You can use the two mentioned registry scanners.

BTW Why is Cloud Scanner so efficient if there is no recommended Comodo product to sort out non-security-risk registry errors and clutter?
You can use Comodo System Cleaner v3 or update to Comodo System Utilities v4.

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
Thanks very much for your recommendations - I will follow them up.

Online Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
Just to jump in here.

Just to let you know, Comodo Cloud Scanner has been discontinued.

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
Just to jump in here.

Just to let you know, Comodo Cloud Scanner has been discontinued.

Thanks Chiron. I was confused because it was still shown on the download page of Comodo.com when I went there to make sure that I had the latest versions.

It would actually be useful to give them a nudge about this, and perhaps suggest that they provide an everyday English narrative about which programs are discontinued/name-changed or combined with other programs.

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
Strange how one enquiry leads to comment and opens up off topic issues - but they are all related. And of course few care and little happens (from the perspective of the poster). I have the feeling that Melih has his finger very firmly on the pulse - especially with responses to Global Moderators - so nothing needs be said and interminable searching for the "correct" board is hopefully unnecessary.

Offline dhinavahiaditya

« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2012, 01:11:44 AM »
I too think so, you are right melih. This can be upgraded in many ways like:
CIS & CCE in 1 package but 2 different products.
When CIS is turned off for some reason & system is infected CCE should be able to clean the infection and undo the damage and scan the computer immediately if any other infected files are there to clean. :-TU  8)

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek