Author Topic: Ransomware!  (Read 27317 times)

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
Re: Ransomware!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 08:28:10 AM »
I guess thats why Comodo Time Machine and Comodo Backup are two very important products!

Melih

Offline andyman35

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 09:10:17 AM »
Without doubt they will be.The vast majority of users  don't utilise a good backup/disaster recovery solution,with Time Machine it'll be right there in front of them.

Offline liljj2009

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 02:13:36 AM »
Ransomware that some scary stuff.  :(
Avast! 5.0.418
Comodo Firewall with Defense +
Sandboxie
Windows XP Home 32 bit
------------
Malware Hunter [at] MBAM forums(Username: liljj2010)

Offline puddingpants

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »
Make regular whole-disk images, and backup your data to multiple places.  Problem solved.  Catch "ransomware?"  Reimage the drive to last known-good image, and get your data from the multiple backups.  Backing up to media that's not changeable after writing (e.g. DVD-R, DVD+R) is even better, since the malware can't erase those backups, even if they're inserted into the drive while the malware is active!

Comodo Time Machine should be highly useful as the imaging solution to this.  One thing though... I REALLY wish it'd include the ability to boot from a bootable "rescue environment" (on a bootable DVD or bootable USB drive) that runs on the PC's "bare metal" and can restore images without needing Windows at all.  Without a "bare-metal bootable" recovery environment, CTM sounds like it'd be useless in any situation where Windows no longer boots, which is LOTS of situations.

DriveImage, Ghost, Acronis, etc. all have "bare metal" bootable recovery environments (on floppy, bootable CD, bootable USB, etc.).  I sure hope CTM will have that ability too, otherwise you'd better hope that Windows still works if you need to restore your drive!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:28:33 PM by puddingpants »

Offline DarkenCypher

• Comodo's Hero
  • Viruses fall by my sword
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »
thanks Melih i never knew what it was its sad that people have to go through this
Security: Avast on windows 7
How does game mode work?

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
Ransomware is now one of the most profitable malwares around.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57548314-83/ransomware-a-growing-menace-says-symantec/

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:30:20 PM by Seany007 »
Proud Comodo User (CIS, CD, CID and CMS)

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek