Author Topic: Setting to pass PC Flank Leak test? [Resolved]  (Read 24782 times)

Offline solo

• Comodo Loves me
Setting to pass PC Flank Leak test? [Resolved]
« on: September 22, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »
I installed CPF today after reading many great reviews.  It has passed almost every test I have put it through.

However, it fails the following test at PC flank (see link below):

http://www.pcflank.com/pcflankleaktest_results.htm

Is there a rule to create or a setting change in order to pass this test?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:24:55 PM by Soya »

comicfan2000

Re: Setting to pass PC Flank Leak test?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 02:42:40 PM »
 Hi Solo, welcome. Let me start by saying that if your text is NOT shown, you didn't let out information. The PC Flank was one that I became a bit flustered with and i'll tell you why. It bases itself from communicating with IE through OLE automation. This means applications that use\modify a document and use IE to communicate with their server\maker. My problem with this is most firewalls would have to prevent OLE which is integrated into Windows to begin with. Now, you can block OLEs from access but you would have to disable OLE in order to stop it from happening. Some good apps use this method as they don't have their own means of connecting to a server etc...They may even change when denied at a later time if the program changes etc...That said, PC Flank is misleading in my opinion and I have hashed this before. It doesn't mean anything failed. If you ALLOW IE to connect with the OLE application in question, then it's a no brainer that the OLE will get through. So, if you denied the test from PC Flank and you see no text, it didn't get through, if you see your text, then it did.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Offline solo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 02:56:34 PM »
Hi Solo, welcome. Let me start by saying that if your text is NOT shown, you didn't let out information. The PC Flank was one that I became a bit flustered with and i'll tell you why. It bases itself from communicating with IE through OLE automation. This means applications that use\modify a document and use IE to communicate with their server\maker. My problem with this is most firewalls would have to prevent OLE which is integrated into Windows to begin with. Now, you can block OLEs from access but you would have to disable OLE in order to stop it from happening. Some good apps use this method as they don't have their own means of connecting to a server etc...They may even change when denied at a later time if the program changes etc...That said, PC Flank is misleading in my opinion and I have hashed this before. It doesn't mean anything failed. If you ALLOW IE to connect with the OLE application in question, then it's a no brainer that the OLE will get through. So, if you denied the test from PC Flank and you see no text, it didn't get through, if you see your text, then it did.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Paul...Thanks for that reply.  It is a little bit over my head as I am really not very technical when it comes to computers and software.  But it sounds like I have nothing to worry about even if my text did get through (which it did).  Sounds like PC Flank has created an unfair or misleading test.  Unless I hear differently from you, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Offline egemen

• Comodo Staff
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 03:06:36 PM »
Paul...Thanks for that reply.  It is a little bit over my head as I am really not very technical when it comes to computers and software.  But it sounds like I have nothing to worry about even if my text did get through (which it did).  Sounds like PC Flank has created an unfair or misleading test.  Unless I hear differently from you, I'm not gonna worry about it.

PCFlank test is notoriously difficult to understand. Dont worry. It is quite misleading. If you search the forum, you will see you are not alone :)

IF you receive a popup about PCFlank test, then be sure that you passed the test. PCFlank test site shows you your previous texts. So if you dont change it, you may have been confused.

Egemen

comicfan2000

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »
Hi. From the link you gave me, it didn't show any text so perhaps a screen shot is needed. Either way, if you allow it with any firewall, you are allowing the OLE to get through which is going to show your text. If you deny it, which I deny many OLEs you shouldn't see any text. Another note, they keep the previous text according to IP and many get fooled as they use the same one and say, darn, it's still getting through, so please use a different text each  time. To try and simplify, a program is modifying (let's say) IE and using it to connect to it's server, when it's modified, CPF picks up on this and alerts you. Depending on the application, if it's spyware, you obviously don't want to allow it. Now, PC flank uses this type of method to connect to the server with your text, so if you ALLOW it, it is getting permission to go through which claims it failed. Now, if a firewall didn't alert you and it went through on it's own, then it would be a fail for sure. If you deny it, it shouldn't go through so don't be fooled into letting it connect to the internet.
hope this helps more.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline solo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 03:16:47 PM »
I copied and pasted below my results.  The last time I took this test, I was usung Zone Alarm Free and it also "failed".  The results from Sept 22 (today) are with Comodo installed.  I also included a screen shot of PC Flank telling me I failed. 

Regardless, I am not too worried.  Just wanted you guys to see what i did. 

PC Flank Leaktest Results

Welcome to PCFlank Leaktest results page

Here are the results of PCFlank's Leaktest for your firewall.

If you see the text you typed in the table your firewall flunked the test.

If your text is not shown, you either didn't take the test, your previous IP address was different from your current one or your firewall successfully prevented the leak of data (i.e. passed this leak test).

IP Date Text
24.125.10.57 Sep 22, 2006 20:11:05 GMT For Paul -9-22-06
24.125.10.57 Sep 22, 2006 19:12:12 GMT Comodo
24.125.10.57 Sep 22, 2006 18:44:49 GMT biged
24.125.10.57 May 22, 2006 19:40:12 GMT GMP
24.125.10.57 May 15, 2006 14:43:57 GMT gmp
24.125.10.57 May 15, 2006 13:36:53 GMT gmp
24.125.10.57 May 15, 2006 12:36:46 GMT gmp

Total number of tests performed: 49539

comicfan2000

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 03:28:19 PM »
 I couldn't open the .doc, I don't have MS word. Either way, as Egemen stated as well, don't worry, lol. Simply put, if you< refuse> it from Comodo, it shouldn't show then. As long as CPF pops up asking if you should allow or not allow, you can deny, you are fine.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline dlhan

• Comodo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 04:29:59 PM »
I opened your file and yes PC Flank did get through. I suggest you run the test again. If you DO NOT get a popup from Comodo then you may have to correct a registry entry.

Offline solo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 05:33:59 PM »
I opened your file and yes PC Flank did get through. I suggest you run the test again. If you DO NOT get a popup from Comodo then you may have to correct a registry entry.

I ran the test 3 times today and it failed all 3.  What type of registry edit do I need to make and how would I go about doing it?

Offline dlhan

• Comodo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 05:40:59 PM »
I had trouble passing 3 of the the Wallbreaker leak test which I feel is similar to PC Flank. This is what egemen told me to do and it worked. As always back up your registry before making any changes.

Please do the following:
1- Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall\AppCtrl\IPC key
2- Restart your PC
3- Open IE and restest.

Offline solo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 06:05:59 AM »
I had trouble passing 3 of the the Wallbreaker leak test which I feel is similar to PC Flank. This is what egemen told me to do and it worked. As always back up your registry before making any changes.

Please do the following:
1- Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall\AppCtrl\IPC key
2- Restart your PC
3- Open IE and restest.

Thank you for this piece of advice.  As I do not know how to back up my registry, I am hoping that I can confirm from one of the board OPS that the above would be a wise move.  I am always very cautious when making registry changes.  One mess up can have big repercussions. 

Offline dlhan

• Comodo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 07:38:58 AM »
You don't hve to back the entire registry just right click the particular key and "export" to another folder. Be sure to remember where you put it. This saves a "copy' of the key you are deleting. If something goes wrong then right click on the saved copy and select "Merge". It will be put back into your registry.   
But I don't blame you, in fact I would rather egemen look at this first and determine if it will work for PC Flank as it did for Wallbreaker before you try it.

comicfan2000

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »
Thank you for this piece of advice.  As I do not know how to back up my registry, I am hoping that I can confirm from one of the board OPS that the above would be a wise move.  I am always very cautious when making registry changes.  One mess up can have big repercussions. 

Hi Solo, I had one question, did you deny PCFlank or no? Another note, the reason behind being tough to backup the registry I believe, was that CPF protects it which makes sense. I myself (my opinion only) would rather it be covered and set my own settings if needed but understand that some would want to back up thier settings as well.  ;)

Thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:05:22 AM by comicfan2000 »

Offline solo

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 01:57:04 PM »

Hi Solo, I had one question, did you deny PCFlank or no? Another note, the reason behind being tough to backup the registry I believe, was that CPF protects it which makes sense. I myself (my opinion only) would rather it be covered and set my own settings if needed but understand that some would want to back up thier settings as well.  ;)

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

Comodo never gave me the option to deny PC Flank.  If it had, I would have denied.

Ed

comicfan2000

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »
So what you are saying is, Comodo didn't have any pop up asking to allow IE at all? Not PCflank but IE as a parent? Also when you run PCflank and it asks to start IE, CPF didn't pop up a notification?

Thanks,

Paul

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek