Author Topic: usb mouse not connecting consistantly after restart once Comodo Firewall install  (Read 1962 times)

Offline ansley

Hello,

I recently rebuilt my wife's computer using Windows 7.  I've been installing apps and testing functionality as I've gone along.  This evening, I installed Comodo Firewall and set up the configuration as recommended on the following site:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm

except that I did not disable HIPS.

Now, each time I reboot the system, the usb mouse connects about 50% of the time.  When it does not, I can often unplug it for a moment and replug to establish connectivity.

I would greatly appreciate any insight to help resolve this.

Thanks in advance!

Online Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Please post a screenshot of the files in the Unrecognized Files List.
Also, post a screenshot of your Defense+ rules for applications?

Thanks.

Offline ansley

Thanks Chiron,

I've attached the requested screenshots.

Online Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Please try disabling the HIPS component and see if the problem continues. This is not a solution, but should provide us with more information from which we can construct a solution.

Also, does the mouse have any application which was installed to control/configure it?

Offline ansley

I disabled HIPS and restarted 4 times.  The first 2 times, the mouse connected.  The next 2 it did not.

I have not installed any applications for the mouse.

Online Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
I suppose this could be a coincidence, or due to the driver.

Have you tried updating the driver for the mouse?

Also, do you have another mouse you could try?

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Please uninstall the mouse driver in Device Manager, disconnect the mouse and reconnect it. Windows should now detect it and install the driver for the mouse. Does that help?

Offline ansley

Sorry for the delay.  I was away this weekend.

I do have an small PS-2 mouse that I used to use with my laptop years ago.  I could see if that works, but I wouldn't want that as a long term solution.  Would trying it tell us something?

I could uninstall the driver and let Windows re-install, but I don't understand why that would be any different than what I have now.  I didn't install any drivers specific to the mouse and let Windows install whatever driver it wanted originally when I started setting up the system last week.

I'm reasonably confident the mouse was working fine prior to installing Comodo Firewall as I was testing along the way and restarted the system many times.  Understanding this, if the feeling is that I should still let Windows re-install, I'm open to give that a try.

Online Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
I do have an small PS-2 mouse that I used to use with my laptop years ago.  I could see if that works, but I wouldn't want that as a long term solution.  Would trying it tell us something?
Yes.

I could uninstall the driver and let Windows re-install, but I don't understand why that would be any different than what I have now.  I didn't install any drivers specific to the mouse and let Windows install whatever driver it wanted originally when I started setting up the system last week.
If this is an issue with the driver this may be able to fix it. It's worth trying.

Offline ansley

Here's what I did and what I saw.

In the Driver Manager under Mice and other pointing devices, I saw 2 identical drives called HID-compliant mouse.  I uninstalled both, unplugged my USB mouse, plugged in my PS-2 mouse, and restarted the system.  Once it came back up, the PS-2 mouse functioned properly.  I looked at the drivers and saw one instance of the HID-compliant mouse driver had re-appeared and I had a PS-2 driver.  I uninstalled the HID-compliant mouse driver again and restarted again.  Once again it reappeared.  The PS-2 mouse functioned properly.

I then proceeded to reboot the system at least 6 more times with the mouse working each time.

I then unplugged the PS-2 mouse and connected the USB mouse.  It functioned properly.

I then restarted and the USB mouse did not function upon startup.  I unplugged it for 10 to 15 seconds, plugged it back in, and it functioned.  I looked at the drivers and once again saw 2 instances of the HID-compliant mouse drivers.

Thoughts?

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
Hi ansley,
Do any of the suggestions in the outside links below help?
USB Device Not Recognized on Windows 7
USB Mouse stopped working
Laptop USB mouse stopped working
A good read guaranteed.
Forum Policy - Updated on January 3, 2013
PrivDog: The Dog that not only barks at uninvited guests, but rather destroys the intruder.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
A couple of questions for analytical clarity. The PS2 mouse you are using is being hooked up to a PS2 port or is it hooked up to a USB port using a PS2 to USB adapter? Your USB mouse is hooked to a USB port. Is that correct?

Offline ansley

That is correct.  The PS2 mouse is connected directly to a PS2 port and the USB mouse is connected directly to a USB port.

I also have a USB keyboard connected to a USB port which is working just fine.  Same for printer.

I'm reading through the links provided by captainsticks, but I've not finished.

Offline ansley

I've now read through all 3 of the links provided by captainsticks.  The prevailing suggestion is to shut down the system, turn off the power supply (this system is a desktop, so unplugging the battery isn't meaningful) for 5 to 15 minutes (I shut it down for over an hour), and then restart.  This did not correct the problem.  Another suggestion was to go into the device manager, scroll down to the USB controllers, select to show the USB Root Hubs, right click and select Properties, choose Power Management tab, and uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power".  I tried this as well with no luck.

Appreciate that I'm not getting a "Device not recognized" or any other error message as mentioned in these posts.  The mouse has an illuminated wheel which lights up when it is functioning properly.  Each time the system reboots, the light comes on near the end of POST and up until "Windows is Starting" (about 5 seconds.  It then goes out while Windows continues to launch.  When is connects successfully, the light comes back on right before the user log in screen shows up.  When it does not, it flickers faintly for a few seconds and then goes out.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek