Author Topic: Uninstaller Tool for Comodo Products, inc CIS v5  (Read 246883 times)

Offline Jacob

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Uninstaller Tool for Comodo Products
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »
Hello SuperUser,

I will change the Name to Comodo Products Clean Up Tool
I agree with ya there :)

Regards to the log, I will have the log ability in 0.4, I do think it's a great idea; I'll try to work on it, expect a new release later this week, on the account I'm also looking for a job; so I can't work on it as much as i wish i could;

I'm developing a new version of the "Configuration Analysis Tool", It's actually taking up most of my "Free" time;

Thanks for the Comments, I'll take your ideas and implement them into the next version as well as I will take out the Text in the CMD log and put them in the GUI so it look a bit better and the user doesn't have to look at the black and white window.

Later on Maybe 1.0 I will take out the batch files completely and Use C++ Alone which will reduce the size below 1MB Haven't decided or not

If you have any more ideas please share :)

Kind Regards

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:03:19 PM by Jacob »
Thanks....Jake

Please Follow The Forum Rules!

I'm Offline!

Offline Alan Borer

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 05:46:46 AM »
Please advise if it is feasible to run this Clean Up script in Safe Mode to improve the removal of Comodo remnants which otherwise might continue to remain because of :-
Comodo remnants that may still be protecting themselves and/or other remnants ;
Anything else (Windows services/permissions/whatnot) that may also impede removal.

I have both 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1
and "mothballed" 32 bit Dual Boot XP + SP3 Home and W7 Ultimate.

Regards
Alan

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 07:00:43 AM »
That's an interesting road map Jacob. :-TU

Offline Jacob

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 09:46:38 AM »
Please advise if it is feasible to run this Clean Up script in Safe Mode to improve the removal of Comodo remnants which otherwise might continue to remain because of :-
Comodo remnants that may still be protecting themselves and/or other remnants ;
Anything else (Windows services/permissions/whatnot) that may also impede removal.

I have both 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1
and "mothballed" 32 bit Dual Boot XP + SP3 Home and W7 Ultimate.

Regards
Alan

This tool is to be used after you have used the built-in uninstallers then a Restart, You may use it in safe mode if you wish; It's compatible to do so, It has no dependencies  that are required to be running

I'll also may prompt the user in next version 0.4

That's an interesting road map Jacob. :-TU

Thanks Eric! , If you have any comments or features please don't be afraid :P

Thanks....Jake

I'm Offline!

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 10:16:28 AM »
When feature requests come to mind I will let you know.

Offline Alan Borer

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
This tool is to be used after you have used the built-in uninstallers then a Restart, You may use it in safe mode if you wish; It's compatible to do so, It has no dependencies that are required to be running

Thanks for advice on Safe mode.

I am aware that it is appropriate to uninstall and reboot before running a clean up,
but that implies this tool ignores and leaves active any Comodo components that are normally dealt with by Uninstallation.  Having encountered permission issues in the past I am a little curious.

N.B.  I now use 64 bit W7 Ultimate.
My old 32 bit Laptop uses XP Home and recently my son added EBCD and Dual Boot W7.
Comodo is O.K. on XP, but failed to complete install on W7, and repeatedly failed to uninstall clean enough for another attempt. Due to time constraints Comodo was abandoned and Trial Norton installed.

Norton is disgusting.  It not only seized authority over W7 (as expected),
it also hijacked System Volume Information with super hidden Norton folders and files in every NTFS partition,including the partition which belongs to XP.

I have for now given up on Norton controlled W7. At some time I will boot into that and uninstall Norton and use the Norton Removal Tools,and then lady like crazy if I find (as I suspect) that any NTFS partitions remain "owned" by Norton's additions to S.V.I., and then I will have another go at clean up of Comodo and then an install.

I have suffered sundry consequences, and have reasons for asking strange questions ! !

Regards
Alan
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:16:00 PM by EricJH »

Offline Jacob

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »
I dont understand the questions; Sorry please clarify a bit more :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:32:26 PM by Jacob »
Thanks....Jake

I'm Offline!

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »
Please start a topic in  Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS. That's the best place and will prevent this topic from diverting from its intended topic.

Try to install CIS and tell us in the new topic what error(s) are being reported in the process.

Offline SuperUser

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Hi Jacob,

...I will take out the Text in the CMD log and put them in the GUI so it look a bit better and the user doesn't have to look at the black and white window.

Personally, I don't mind CMD window since I'm into computers since C64, ZX Spectrum and Atari times... hmmm, good old times. But I must say that using same and consistent UI throughout the entire cleanup process sounds great.

If you would like here is an idea for that aspect of it. How about "re-using" the same main window of this app? Here's what I mean: the user starts the program and the familiar main window comes up with all the choices (buttons). After the user makes his/her selection the same main window remains on the screen but all the buttons disappear and a progress bar comes up with a text under it saying: "Cleanup in progress...". The location of the progress bar would have to be calculated after taking under consideration all the text including the one that would appear after the completion of the cleanup process.

When the cleanup is complete and the progress bar reaches the end the text under it changes to:

"Cleanup complete
Cleanup log created in (location)
Would you like to view the log?
Yes - No"

Selecting "Yes" would bring the log.txt up. Selecting "No" would close the window. Selecting "Yes" could also close the window after bringing up the log.txt file. I'm not a programmer so I have no idea how much work would this involve. And of course this is just a "cosmetic procedure".

I'll try to work on it, expect a new release later this week, on the account I'm also looking for a job; so I can't work on it as much as i wish i could;

I wish you luck with finding a job.

Offline Alan Borer

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »
[at] Jacob
I currently have no further specific questions.

In January 2010 I posted an improvement on the Clean up Tool which I called ZapBeta with 4 stages.
The first stage deleted nothing but identified everything that would be a target and whether it was present.
When I ran that on an installed Comodo it found most targets were present,
and I focussed on the absent targets and found the targets had spelling mistakes copied from the original tool.  I reported those errors but never saw any corrections.
Stage 2 attempted to delete each target.
Stage 3 went through the target list and identified everything that was still present and needed to have access restrictions manually dealt with.
I posted this at reply #31
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/cleanup-tool-for-comodo-internet-security-old-t36499.30.html

I had complete mastery of removing Comodo 3.? from XP Home.
I could identify what was wrong and get into the registry etc. to fix everything.

If your new tool should be defeated by my computer I plan to attempt alternative measures,
and I just needed all the information that could be given on the feasibility of various approaches to removing stubborn and un-identified remnants.

My Laptop Dual-Boot XP + W7 had a major problem in July 2010, see
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/v-41-installation-freezes-on-w7-as-it-kills-internet-installing-kernel-drivers-t59655.0.html

I actually suspended my clean up attempts when I found that there are perhaps 50 reparse points in W7 and I could attempt to go through each to :-
create a file;
delete a file;
read a file;
test existence of a file;
The success or failure of an one of those attempts was not related to the other 3 attempts.
e.g. I could possibly write but not read.

I intend to have another go at it, so I am just getting information that may be relevant

Please start a topic in  Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS. That's the best place and will prevent this topic from diverting from its intended topic.

Try to install CIS and tell us in the new topic what error(s) are being reported in the process.

My Laptop has been "mothballed" since February when I received a far more powerful Desktop,
but I intend to power it up and try the latest version of Comodo.
I will start a new topic as you suggest if I have problems.

Regards
Alan

Offline Jacob

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 07:08:15 PM »
Personally, I don't mind CMD window since I'm into computers since C64, ZX Spectrum and Atari times... hmmm, good old times. But I must say that using same and consistent UI throughout the entire cleanup process sounds great.
I too started from C64 :P My uncle was a strong believer in starting from the begining!

If you would like here is an idea for that aspect of it. How about "re-using" the same main window of this app? Here's what I mean: the user starts the program and the familiar main window comes up with all the choices (buttons). After the user makes his/her selection the same main window remains on the screen but all the buttons disappear and a progress bar comes up with a text under it saying: "Cleanup in progress...". The location of the progress bar would have to be calculated after taking under consideration all the text including the one that would appear after the completion of the cleanup process.

When the cleanup is complete and the progress bar reaches the end the text under it changes to:

"Cleanup complete
Cleanup log created in (location)
Would you like to view the log?
Yes - No"
This is how exactly iy's going to be like :P but different words lol

I wish you luck with finding a job.
Thanks

@ Alan Borer,

I'll take a look at your findings in ZapBeta, and Include them if needed,

Kind Regards

Jake
Thanks....Jake

I'm Offline!

Offline Jacob

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 05:31:46 PM »
Will Release 0.4 5/11/11

Whats New in 0.4?
Logging Ability - SuperUser Suggested
Improvement of CIS Removal in Vista/7 OS
Re-Wrote Scripts For Logging Ability, and Ease of Editing
Changed Background of GUI
Added About Section
Added Instructions for Removal SecureDNS
Changed Name of Project to - Clean-Up Tool for Comodo Products
Created a Low Bandwidth Installation(Command Line Version)
Improvement of Killing Process(s) in Windows XP Home
Currently Working on it (see attached)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:50:13 PM by Jacob »
Thanks....Jake

I'm Offline!

Offline SuperUser

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »
Looks good Jacob. I'll definitely test it for you when it comes out.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 07:27:36 PM »
Keep the good work up Jacob. :-TU

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »
Good on you Jacob, well done with your work.  :-TU
A good read guaranteed.
Forum Policy - Updated on January 3, 2013
PrivDog: The Dog that not only barks at uninvited guests, but rather destroys the intruder.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek