Author Topic: Comodo firewall would not install - XPpro SP3, AVG antivirus, Dell D505 laptop  (Read 2924 times)

Offline fotyc

I have been running Sygate Personal Firewall for YEARS - it is now out of support and I thought I should get something more modern, so I searched around and Comodo gets by far the best reviews everywhere.  So I downloaded the free version, uninstalled Sygate, and attempted to install just the firewall.

I spent hours on it yesterday and finally gave up.  I installed it and let it scan for malware.  It hung the computer.  I forced the computer off with the on/off switch and when it restarted I could not see that Comodo had installed.  I tried again.  Same thing happened but it got to the point where it had a desktop icon.  It went into 'Initializing' or whatever and hung the computer.  I could not do anything with it.  I had to boot in safe mode to uninstall it.  I tried the entire operation again and the same thing happened, finally uninstalled in safe mode and put Sygate back up, but I keep thinking it must be my fault somehow...  Was I supposed to disable my antivirus first?  Is there something incompatible in the background that made this happen?  The Windows firewall may also be enabled, could that cause this?

I have not seen anyone else run into a computer that just hangs after Windows starts, so I thought I'd post.  I hate to give up on a product so many people seem to like.  Thanks!

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
G'day,

As a test, try disabling all other security related software before installing CIS. You shouldn't have to disable other software, but some earlier versions of CIS and CFP did have a problem with some security software running during it's installation.

Please post the results back here, in case others have the same issue.

Cheers,
Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline fotyc

OK I still failed, but I feel duty bound to report back...
I disabled AVG antivirus and Spy Sweeper.  I have AdAware on my computer and it seems to now come with some Ad Watch thing that I was unable to disable.
The installation (Firewall only) went smoothly and the scan (35 minutes or so) was clean.  Then it prompted for restart and I restarted.

The computer restarted, the Comodo desktop shortcut appeared, the System Tray icons began to appear, I got my wireless card and my volume control, then a few minutes went by, then the Comodo icon appeared in the tray.  I waited...  After about 10 minutes I wanted to see what was the holdup so I tried to get Task Manager to show up.  It never did.  3 or 4 minutes after that, the Comodo window opened (apparently it has summary system info on it but I have never seen it as it won't display all the way) with the 'initializing' text on the bottom left.  At this point the CPU pegged (the only text I could read on the window was 'System 100%' sort of in the middle on the right) and the system tray clock even stopped incrementing the minutes.

After another 10 minutes of complete stasis, I forced it off and restarted in safe mode and uninstalled and went back to my 2004 Sygate firewall again and the computer runs fine.  It's not a new computer but it is 1.4 gHz or something which ought to be enough for a firewall.  Anyway I don't have 45 minutes to try this again unless I'm sure what was wrong and that I can fix it.   (:SAD)

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
This may be related to another issue (100% CPU usage) that is going to be addressed in a "soon but don't know exactly when" update.

I'll send you a PM and an email when it is released if it is proven to get rid of the 100% issue.

Cheers,
Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline fotyc

Thanks.... out of curiosity, what is the cause of the issue?  - other stuff running on the machine? some other OS quirk?

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek