Author Topic: Black screen and system death with Comodo FW+AV, Windows 7 x64  (Read 12885 times)

Offline Canniballissimo

Black screen and system death with Comodo FW+AV, Windows 7 x64
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »
Hello! Go apologize if that is not clear. English - not my native language, so it asks again ;)
Faced with not quite understand the problem in conjunction Firewall + Anti-Virus for Windows 7 x64, versions 3.12 and 3.13 with the Russian language. Try to describe what I found and what the solution applied.
Go is to describe the configuration of computer:
Core2Duo 6550
M/B Gigabyte 965P-DS3
ATI Radeon 4870 with single core
Creative Audigy ZS
8gb RAM DDR2 Kingston... frequency can not remember, like 667
HDD 200gb Seagate, 1000gb WD 1000FYPS and 2 1000gb WD 1000EACS which work in a mirrored RAID

Bug is quite understandable system crash at a black screen. It helps just to reboot.
I'll describe the installation options:
AV - only antivirus
FW1 - only firewall
FW2 - firewall mode "Optimum Proactive Defense"
FW3 - firewall in the "Maximum Proactive Protection"

A "+" will show their different combinations, and by ">" to install one component and then install another.
DNS, Threatcast and other related add-ons I have not used.

Bug was manifested in some games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Stalker: Call of Pripyat, Far Cry 2, as well as in a simple program TFT Monitor test version 1.52. In the early days of its manifestation, the system hung at once, without even having anything to show. Then he dropped only when you try to complete these programs.
It was in the following configurations:
AV + FW2 (default configuration)
FW2
AV
FW3 > AV
In the following configurations bug does not manifest itself:
FW1
FW3

Let us think together what exactly is killing the system?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:06:07 PM by Canniballissimo »

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Black screen and system death with Comodo FW+AV, Windows 7 x64
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
Is this a fairly recent event?

There is apparently a black screen issue going around. Initially people were attributing it to a recent Windows update, but The Microsoft Security Response Center has stated that nothing in the security updates could cause this problem.

Prevx has released an unofficial fix for the problem that you can try and see if it does anything for you. Black Screen woes could affect millions on Windows 7, Vista and XP After the fix, you'll probably want to refrain from using Windows Update until Windows releases some sort of patch. Otherwise the update may "unfix" the Prevx fix.

Offline Creasy

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm watching you.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:07:24 PM »
Hello! Go apologize if that is not clear. English - not my native language, so it asks again ;)
Faced with not quite understand the problem in conjunction Firewall + Anti-Virus for Windows 7 x64, versions 3.12 and 3.13 with the Russian language. Try to describe what I found and what the solution applied.
Go is to describe the configuration of computer:
Core2Duo 6550
M/B Gigabyte 965P-DS3
ATI Radeon 4870 with single core
Creative Audigy ZS
8gb RAM DDR2 Kingston... frequency can not remember, like 667
HDD 200gb Seagate, 1000gb WD 1000FYPS and 2 1000gb WD 1000EACS which work in a mirrored RAID

Bug is quite understandable system crash at a black screen. It helps just to reboot.
I'll describe the installation options:
AV - only antivirus
FW1 - only firewall
FW2 - firewall mode "Optimum Proactive Defense"
FW3 - firewall in the "Maximum Proactive Protection"

A "+" will show their different combinations, and by ">" to install one component and then install another.
DNS, Threatcast and other related add-ons I have not used.

Bug was manifested in some games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Stalker: Call of Pripyat, Far Cry 2, as well as in a simple program TFT Monitor test version 1.52. In the early days of its manifestation, the system hung at once, without even having anything to show. Then he dropped only when you try to complete these programs.
It was in the following configurations:
AV + FW2 (default configuration)
FW2
AV
FW3 > AV
In the following configurations bug does not manifest itself:
FW1
FW3

Let us think together what exactly is killing the system?

Please read my post.

https://forums.comodo.com/other_general_gui_etc_bugs/cis_freezing_with_kb976098_kb976098v2-t48113.0.html

Wrong messages are dangerous, but wrong interpretation of correct messages is even more dangerous.-Andre Kostolany-
I'm a MAN!!
I'm not a girl!

Offline Canniballissimo

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:57:56 AM »
Is this a fairly recent event?

There is apparently a black screen issue going around. Initially people were attributing it to a recent Windows update, but The Microsoft Security Response Center has stated that nothing in the security updates could cause this problem.

Prevx has released an unofficial fix for the problem that you can try and see if it does anything for you. Black Screen woes could affect millions on Windows 7, Vista and XP After the fix, you'll probably want to refrain from using Windows Update until Windows releases some sort of patch. Otherwise the update may "unfix" the Prevx fix.
I would be glad, but Windows Update, it did not affect. What's wrong with them, that without them, the result was the same.

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
I would be glad, but Windows Update, it did not affect. What's wrong with them, that without them, the result was the same.

That's what I'm saying... The problem wasn't with any Windows updates. That is just what people were thinking at first.

Have you tried the Prevx fix?

Offline Creasy

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm watching you.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »

I think your CIS or system configuration have something wrong by yourself.
I don't have any problem with Modern Warfare 2, Far Cry 2.
Have you tried to play both games with 'Training mode'?(D+ and firewall)

1.Run MW2 single play, Multi play with "Traning mode" for a while.(both 'Firewall' and 'D+')
2.quit the game.
3.go to CIS
4.make iw4sp.exe(Single play),iw4mp.exe(Multi play) to "Trusted" in the "Network Security Policy" and
"Computer Security Policy"
If you already did No1, No2, start from No.3.

After the above.
Make mode to default.
Firewall: safe mode
D+: Clean Pc mode

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:44:43 PM by Creasy »
Wrong messages are dangerous, but wrong interpretation of correct messages is even more dangerous.-Andre Kostolany-
I'm a MAN!!
I'm not a girl!

Offline philbustier

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 03:52:59 AM »
The words "black screen" in Comodo Forum generate 4 pages of replies with the games in full screen !!!!

Please Mr COMODO can you resolve this problem with the games ?

Offline bkdc

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 09:27:42 AM »
Similar problem here, only with Vista SP1 x64.

System:
- cpu: 2x Opteron
- mb: nVidia professional 3000 chipset (drivers 15.16)
- video: nVidia 8800 GTX (drivers 195.62)

-CIS: 3.13.121240.574
- UAC: disabled
-user: admin level

NOTE: I updated both CIS & nVidia video drivers around the same time and that's when the problem started. I don't know who's to 'blame' nVidia, CIS or both (some sort of incompatibility)

NOTE2: I cannot send any memory dumps since I cannot generate any.

Symptoms:

95% of the time, I get a black screen when starting many D3D full screen applications (at destroy/create device D3D stage, I assume). Keyboard still works (since I can toggle numlock).

Switching back & forth by using ALT+TAB, Windows Start key or CTRL+ALT+DEL is impossible and, in the case of CTRL+ALT+DEL leads to a total system crash: keyboard dead, machine dead (tried to ping it/access it from another machine without any luck).

The other 5% of the times, NOTHING happens upon starting the D3D application - I can still see the desktop, mouse works and I get the loading cursor. However, trying to click/drag/use any windows on the screen produces no results and, if I use CTRL+ALT+DEL to try to kill the D3D application, the machine stops responding at all: screen+mouse+keyboard are frozen.

The only possible solution is to turn it off/reset it.

Disabling D+ and Firewall seems to solve the problem. Antivirus is always disabled.
Firewall is on Custom Policy Mode and D+ on Paranoid mode

For some apps (eg GTR Evolution demo installed through Steam), disabling Aero/Desktop composition Engine seems to solve the problem and I'm able to start the apps. get to the black screen, switch back to CIS and click on the confirmation windows (to approve/block Firewall or D+ events) then switch back to the app and use it.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »
[at] bkdc. What you are experiencing is that in full screen mode you don't see the alerts. Follow A note to gamers and be good to go.

Moving the topic to the help board as it is not a bug report.

Offline bkdc

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response. I read again the topic.

However, there are some aspects you might not have noticed in my report:

1. computer crashes: dead keyboard, dead everything including TCP stack. I have a hard time finding this behavior "normal"

2. it does so even when the application has been fully configured (by hand) by me before running it: I applied both firewall and defense+ settings and there should be NO reason for Comodo to popup any new windows (all options set to either Allow or Deny - neither is left on Ask)

3. activating the Training Mode pretty much renders the whole firewall useless. Since everything will be allowed (for that application), I might as well disable it. Also, I won't get a chance to know what the application is actually trying to do.....

I hope this clarifies my previous post.

Again, this may very well be an NVIDIA driver bug (wouldn't be their first...nor the last). If I find the time, I'll try to revert to an older version of their drivers and see if the computer still crashes. I'll keep you updated.

Offline bkdc

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »
Uninstalling the 195.62 nvidia drivers and reverting to the 190.62 ones solved all the crashes.

That being said, my problems were indeed generated by the video drivers, not Comodo. Comodo's D+/confirmation windows only seem to be one of the very obvious ways of triggering the bug  :(.

Offline sortd

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »
I also have this problem as well - Windows 7 fully locks (black screen) when loading Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - disabling Comodo resolves the problem.

I have the same version of the Nvidia drivers (195.62) as bkdc so will attempt to get an older version, but what is interesting is that the first guy who reported this problem (Canniballissimo) has an ATI display adapter so it seems unlikely that both display drivers could experience the same problem.

Offline sortd

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 04:45:57 AM »
Down grading the nvidia display drivers also resolved for me

88)

Offline Creasy

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm watching you.
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 06:30:05 AM »
Guys.

That's not the CIS problem.
It's the problem between VGA driver and your system.
I always say 'latest drivers are not always good'.
It depands on your Graphic card type, vender etc, and MB type, vender, MB drivers etc.

Some people may not have any problem.
But some people may have lots of problem.

In case of this situation, downgrading is the best option for you guys.

recommend for VGA drivers.

a.Use clean install
b.Use latest DirectX.
c.when you install the drivers, change CIS to training mode.

recommend for Gamers.

1.when you install the game ,use training mode.
2.run the game with training mode for a while.
3.quit the game.
4.go to CIS
5.make those game files(main .exe) to 'trusted'.
(in this case, you must make them tursted in both D+ and Firewall)
6.if you need to use punkbuster, make sure punkbuster's exe files are trusted.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:36:43 AM by Creasy »
I'm a MAN!!
I'm not a girl!

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek