Author Topic: Comodo and Firefox problems- no sound!  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Fireworks

Comodo and Firefox problems- no sound!
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »
Help.... I can't get sound when browsing with Firefox- AGAIN!

I switched to Comodo about 3 months ago and loved it.... until it ceased getting along with Firefox. Or at least that is my evaluation. (I need to insert here that I still had sound in Netscape). Last month, I was trouble shooting and started by un-installing and then re-installing Firefox. That didn't do anything to help with the sound- so I became suspicious of Comodo. So I un-installed Comodo, then un-installed and and re-installed Firefox, then re-installed Comodo.... and there was sound! Now it's happened again- no sound in Firefox. I am assuming there is poor communication between the two programs- how do I make them communicate? I didn't change settings, download or install any new programs- what do I do? Keep un-installing and re-installing every month??

Vettetech

Re: Comodo and Firefox problems- no sound!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:38:04 PM »
What kind of sounds? Firefox has never made sounds like Internet Explorer does. Internet Explorer makes clicks when you browse pages forward and backward. Firefox has never done that. Is that the sounds you are talking about or do u mean like wma's?

Offline Fireworks

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:00:52 PM »
I mean there is no sound- regardless of format, so that includes WMA's. I can play music from my computer, and I get alerts when I get new email (outlook) but I can't hear anything online from websites when I am using Firefox (primary browser).

Vettetech

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »
Well if Firefox connects and works it does not seem like its a Comodo problem. Make sure firefox is selected as a web browser in firewall settings. Do you have any plugins that might be blocking something? Keep in mind there is an extensive Firefox removal procedure cause when you uninstall Firefox alot is left over.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_1.html

Offline xrmartie

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 06:58:40 AM »
Fireworks --

There seems to be something with the defense system if you disable it and restart firefox the sound will work.

Not sure why this is not a more well know problem

The Problem is playing any media in firefox has no sound!

Hope to hear a real fix for this problem I just don't have a lot of time to track down the setting or what is going on myself right now!

Vettetech

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:02:29 AM »
I just did a fresh install of Comodo and have no issues with sound in Firefox.

Offline xrmartie

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:13:14 AM »
What is this turning into a MS product ! LOL  I have installed this product 4 times which is 3 times too many, because there are too many customs setting and programs to reconfigure everytime. By the way all seem to get reset when the product updates itself also!   

Vettetech

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 07:17:35 AM »
What is this turning into a MS product ! LOL  I have installed this product 4 times which is 3 times too many, because there are too many customs setting and programs to reconfigure everytime. By the way all seem to get reset when the product updates itself also!   

Try doing a complete uninstall. Remove all entires then reinstall. I have installed Comodo on several different pc's with no problems.

http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comprehensive_instructions_for_completely_removing_comodo_firewall_pro_3_info-t17220.0.html

Vettetech

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 07:23:06 AM »
What is your default player in Firefox? On a fresh install of Firefox its usually Quciktime. See what your default player is and maybe Comodo is blocking it. Also be sure Firefox is selected as a web browser.

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 07:29:23 AM »
There seems to be something with the defense system if you disable it and restart firefox the sound will work.

Just finished testing on 6 FF test boxes - no errors at all. All produced sound. 2 boxes uninstalled and reinstalled FF with identical results - all produced sound.

Not sure why this is not a more well know problem

Maybe because only 2 people have reported it?? ;)

The Problem is playing any media in firefox has no sound!

When you say "media", do you mean a media file called from within the web page code displayed in the browser or an application generated sound (like Outlooks "received mail" tones)?

Hope to hear a real fix for this problem I just don't have a lot of time to track down the setting or what is going on myself right now!

Funnily, I have less time and I'm still here looking for an answer. Feel free to jump in and contribute to the solution. ;)

By the way all seem to get reset when the product updates itself also!

Take a minute and have a deeper look under the MISCELLANEOUS tab. You can export and import configs. It can maintain several configs at a time (admittedly only one at a time can be active), but this is ideal if you have a laptop and go to several locations/LANS and require different configs for different locations. This import/export facility can be used before and after an update.

cheers,
Ewen :-)

Ewen :-)

[/quote]
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline xrmartie

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
The CLEAN install worked for the sound. This was my 5th install of this new 3.x version sorry but starting with the first version (3.0.16.295) which must have corrupted the rest till i  went though the hole clean install ( which most normal user is would be way bad) the sound problem was any boswer plugin or flash the sound did not work!

Thanks for answer but now other problems so i may go back to 2.x version for a while till it gets a little more tlc.     

Vettetech

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 08:24:17 PM »
Other problems such as?

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek