Author Topic: Full Removal of Comodo Firewall Pro 3 with SafeSurf Toolbar (If Regular Uninstall Method Fails)  (Read 355592 times)

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
Found the following registry keys and updates the batch file:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\CFP_Setup_3.0.14.276_XP_Vista_x32

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\CFP_Setup_3.0.14.276_XP_Vista_x64

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\CFPLog

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\CPFFileSubmission

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Firewall Pro

Cheers,
Ragwing
Ragwing, thanks for identifying those extra keys and adding them to your revised batch file.

I've added the keys above to my original post at the beginning of this thread just keep things consistent and up to date.

Steve
Tip of the Day: "Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names of all the people that you do not know."

ThinkPad T43 and Micron Millennia Desktop: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.1.325 and CFP 3.0.25.378 running on Windows XP Pro SP2 x32

Offline Ragwing

• Comodo's Hero
Ragwing, thanks for identifying those extra keys and adding them to your revised batch file.

I've added the keys above to my original post at the beginning of this thread just keep things consistent and up to date.

Steve

Okay, good to hear. I found them while looking for some other registry keys ;D

Offline manxman

usss  and  ragwing  thanks  lads.......

all  legacy  keys  removed  manually.....
one  thing  tho  that  still  aint  right....when  i  click  on start/ help  and  support.....nothing  happens  no  page  loads....however  it  runs  in  task  manager  for about  30  seconds  before  dissapearing  again....but  for  sometime  yesterday all  the  shortcuts  on  the  lefthand  side   there  just vanished.....they  are  all  back  now  tho.....

any  ideas  why  the  help  and  support  applet  wont  load  properly.....

Offline XerraX

hello i am using vista 64bit and i am trying to get rid of comodo. i tried the .bat but it doesnt remove the  legacy keys. i tried it manually with regedit but it says i am not allowed to change the permissions... wtf i am the administrator?!?!?! please help

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
Generally, the "Legacy" keys that are left behind pose no issue for subsequent installations or updates to CFP.  For unknown reasons, not everyone can remove these particular keys, despite modifying permissions and elevating access privileges.

I would set aside one hour to remove CFP using the set of instructions at the beginning of this thread.  I actually had to do this last night to install the latest version on my laptop (updated from v.273), and it worked!  Yeah, that IS a lot of work and time, but I think the latest version is finally offering users a much-improved updater utility for those migrating from v.276.
Tip of the Day: "Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names of all the people that you do not know."

ThinkPad T43 and Micron Millennia Desktop: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.1.325 and CFP 3.0.25.378 running on Windows XP Pro SP2 x32

Offline manxman

i  sure  hope  one  of  you  guys  can  help  out  here...

i  removed  all  of  comodo  as stated  in  posts  above  however  the  other today  i  clicked  on  help  and  support....the  hour  glass  showed  and  heldstv  or  scv  showed  in  task  manager  for  about  20  secs  sometimes  longer  on  subsequent  tries  to  open  help  and support,
so  i  thought  that  a  registry  cleaner  that  i  downloaded   regsupreme  i  think  its  called, ...it  was  recomended  at the  beginning  of  this  thread....i  also  used  3  light  free  cleaners  i  have  used  for  several  years  without  a  problem  i.e.  never  had  to  use  one  of  their  back  ups  because  of  a malfunction  after  use....so  i  undone  the  changes  that  reg  supreme  had  cleaned/made,  but  no  luck  it  didnt  make  h&s  load  fully.....so  i  rebooted  without  cleaning  again  with  regsupreme,, everthing  was  normal  until  the  welcome  screen  came  up....i  clicked
  my  only  user  account,, then  tried  to  type  in  my  password  ,,  only  no  ***************  { blobs }  it  wont  let  me  type  in  my  password.....keyboard  is  fine  as  i have  tried  all  f8  and  f11  options  on  boot  up....and  exactly  the  same,,,it  wont  let  me  type  in  my  password  to  my  user  account  or  my  administrator  acc..

now  im  stuck  with  a  comp  i  cannot  get  into...is  there  anything  that  could  have  been  reloaded  when  i  used  the  undo  option  on  the  reg  cleaner  that  could  be  the  cause  of  my  plight..???

i  have  been  looking  on  google  for  similar  troubles....and  it  has  happened  to  others  after  a  ms  update  in  october  06....none  of  the  little  work  arounds  they  had  found  never  worked  for  me   an  example    press  ctrl alt del  twice  got  them  to  windows  classic  logon  and  then  it allowed  them  to  type...well  mine  wont  unfortunately......
anyway  i  had  a  reformat  last  june  and  sp2  added  with  that  then  all  updates  automatic....
im  running  xp home edition

any  advice  welcome  as  i  had  a perfectly  fine  computer  before  all  this  with  my  comodo  installation....
i  cannot  reformat  as  theres  too  much  work  on  it.......

and  its  not  an  infection  as  im  very  security  concious  and  keep  my  machine  as  tight  as  a  drum....avg  av  comodo  firewall [under  normal  times }spyware  terminator  for  its  active  shields  only  spyware  doctors  shields  were  rated  better  but  s/doctor  is  to  heavy  on  rescourses  to  run  fulltime...
spyware  doctor  on  demand  only  and  several  other  on  demand  no  running  processes  scanners.....and  to  top  that  lot  of  i  use  several on -line  avs  as   scans....
and  as  stated  i  keep  my  registry  in  good  nick....

Offline manxman

ps  im  using  my  windows98  comp  4gb  hard  drive  1.38  left  after  os  install....ya  gotta  laugh  iant  you.......we  paid  good  money  for  these  all  them  years  ago.....
its  like  taking  a  ride  on  a  dinosaur...
anyway  its  give  me  a  chance  to  give  google  a  evening  vewing  but  no  luck  as  to  a  fix  tho...

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
Keep trying Safe Mode...

If you can boot into Safe Mode, launch System Restore (Start > Help and Support > Pick a Task) and revert back to a previous restore point.

If you have no restore points, boot into Safe Mode and select "Last Known Good Configuration" from the choices listed.

If you have the Windows Recovery Console installed, you may be able to repair Windows.

If you have it, have you tried using the Windows XP CD to boot your machine?

It certainly sounds as if you damaged a critical part of your registry.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 09:59:05 PM by USSS »

Offline XerraX

You can download the following tool from microsoft to open an
instance of regedit as system in Windows Vista:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/psexec.mspx

The following command line will open a "system" regedit:

psexec -s -i regedit

(Note: You have to execute this command line from an "administrator" command
prompt [right-click command prompt and click run as administrator])

PsExec works on Windows Server 2008, Vista, NT 4.0, Win2K, Windows XP and Server 2003 including x64 versions of Windows.

comodo: never again
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 04:01:44 AM by XerraX »

Offline manxman

thank  you guys  but  i have  tried  too  boot  in  safemode  / last  known  successful  configuration  etc.........several  times  as  with  the  other  options  in  tapping  f8  at  boot  up......

the  boot  up  is  fine  until  the  entering  password  stage  .....  then  i  cannot  type  in  my password....if  i  did  not  have  my  machine  password  protected  i  would  have  no  major  problem
after  ridding  my  machine  completely  of  comodo  it  rebooted  several  times  no  problem  and  i checked  that  the  comodo  entries  in  registry  were  still  deleted  ...  which  was  the  case....
so  i  deleted  all  restore  points  upto  that  point  so  as  there  was  no  chance  that  any  comodo entries  would  be  restored  at  a  later  date...
however  there  will  be several  restore  points  there  now  for  the  last  3  days  or  so......
as  for  the  reload  disk  i  have  one  .......  however  its  for  the  original  version  that  was  on  my  machine .....  and  not  the  re-format  version...... as  a  tech  reformatted  for  me....
this  machine  is  18  months  old  only.....next  reformat  was  due  in  six  months  after  vistas  first
service  pack  was  released.....so  im  still  on  xp  home  edition  service  pk2.....

this  only  happened  after  i  undone/restored  that  which  the  registry  cleaner  had  deleted...
im  sure  once  im  back  in  and  run  that  registry  cleaner  to  delete  that  which  i  restored  my  problems  are  minimal  again.....

any  advise  on  where  to  ask  for  help  otherwise  it  looks  like  i  job  for  a  pro....and  they  cost dear....

thanks  for  any  advices  given  to  this  point  guys......but  the  advices  so  far  assume  i  can  get  past  the  logon  stage.....however  once  past  the  logon  stage  i  will  be fne  ...someone  get  me  past  it  please...

Offline adric

• "Start every day with a smile and get it over with."
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • "I am not young enough to know everything. "
It simply amazes me that we are up to four pages of forum discussion dealing with uninstalling/updating CFP.  By now this should have sent a signal to Comodo that their uninstsall/update programs are not doing their job and causing many users a great amount of pain. Comodo really needs to improve in this area.

Al

Offline manxman

im  not  bothered  about the  ethics  of  it  adric....

i  just  dont want  to  have  to  have  the hard  drive  taken  out  and  slaved  to  another  comp  so  as  to  extract  and  store  my  data  externally  until  my  comp  is  reformatted  and  the  data  returned.....

the  comp  is  fully  loading  and  has  updated  in  the  back  ground  .... as  it  advised  me  last  night  not  to unplug  until  update  was  full  installed....it  will  shut  down  automatically.....        they  were  the  2  m/s  critical  updates  installing  again....the  reason  they  installed  again  was  because  i  tried  to  start  the  comp  under  a  different  profile  by  tapping  the  f11  option  on  reboot......

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
[at] manxman:

This is a very long shot, but did you by chance ever create a Password Reset disk for Windows XP on your machine?  Info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305478

Somehow, you need to clear the password on your system.  Yes, there are other ways of doing it, but that is for "discussion" elsewhere.

I wonder if your boot.ini file or Master Boot Table became corrupted?  You might search for those terms and see if there might be other solutions floating around.

Otherwise, it appears you'll have to pull the HDD and extract the data off of it.  Things could be worse, I guess.  At least, you seem to have a decent chance at recovering your data.

[at] adric:  No argument there, but I think v.277 may represent the light at the end of the tunnel, as it updated without issues from v.276 on my desktop system.   Still, Comodo needs to release an officially-sanctioned (read: thoroughly tested) standalone uninstallation utility, similar to that which has been available from Norton/Symantec for a number of years now for their products.  Users of earlier versions (e.g. v.268, v.273) deserve nothing less.

Offline manxman

Somehow, you need to clear the password on your system.  Yes, there are other ways of doing it, but that is for "discussion" elsewhere...

quite  right  sss  if  i  was  not  using a  password  protected  account  i  would  not  be  having  this  problem......as  windows  is  fully  loading.....

your  statement  above  could  you  tell  me  more  please  im  no  computer  novice  .. nor am  i  an  expert.... however  i  am  competent.....and  obviously  you  know  a  way  in  thats  not  for  public  consumption.....so  i  would  much  appreciate  a  private  convo  on  this  matter...sooner  rather  than  later  if  poss.....i  will  leave  my email  if  required......

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
manxman,

I've PM'd you a couple methods to reset the password.  I think Bart's PE also has a plugin to help with that, as well.

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek