Author Topic: Full Removal of Comodo Firewall Pro 3 with SafeSurf Toolbar (If Regular Uninstall Method Fails)  (Read 356340 times)

Vettetech

The uninstall problem doesn't happen to everyone. Comodo uninstalls on both my machines perfectly. Sometimes computers with corrupt OS's may find problems. All of my family( 5 machines) use Comodo and they 2 have no problem uninstalling Comodo.

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
This is a bad joke.  I have been trying to uninstall also.  I feel sorry for Yankee having to put up with all these convoluted instructions and then getting insulted in the process.  I don't blame her for being upset.  I am also.  The software should uninstall simply and cleanly.  It's not ready for distribution until it does.  There should at least be a warning before you in install.  You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get off your machine.
I agree with most of your post.

Once again, Comodo needs to develop and make available a special, standalone uninstaller similar to that offered by Norton/Symantec and Zone Alarm.  The batch file that Ragwing created does a pretty thorough job, but Comodo needs to offer another tool and support its use.
Tip of the Day: "Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names of all the people that you do not know."

ThinkPad T43 and Micron Millennia Desktop: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.1.325 and CFP 3.0.25.378 running on Windows XP Pro SP2 x32

Offline Dennis2

• Awaiting Admin Approval Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
I agree with most of your post.

Once again, Comodo needs to develop and make available a special, standalone uninstaller similar to that offered by Norton/Symantec and Zone Alarm.  The batch file that Ragwing created does a pretty thorough job, but Comodo needs to offer another tool and support its use.
+1
A definite yes very good idea USSS there are a lot of users who do not have the expertise to use batch files etc.
Dennis
Moderator: Aims Forum a friendly place. Any concerns? Please PM me and/or review the Forum Policy 2012Updated.
System:Windows 7 SP1(UAC)x32,LUA, CIS7.0.4132Upgrade,Sandboxie4.08
Vista Home P.(UAC)x32 SP2, LUA, CIS.7.0.4132

Offline MauriceW

In mid-December, shortly after this thread began, I removed CPF3 from my PC with some help from the earlier posts. Cleaning up took most of my PC skills, and I vowed not to try CPF again until the uninstalling problems were resolved. Hence I have been monitoring this thread.

Here we are, 6 months later, and it seems that Comodo developers have totally ignored the tales of woe described herein. This is despite that fact that Uninstall and ReInstall is usually part of fixing most CPF malfunctions.

I have used CPF's main rival, Online Armor, for the intervening period without any significant problems. It is worth mentioning that until recently OA Free needed to be uninstalled, prior to upgrading to a newer version, which was quite painless.

It surely seems that there is no reason to change my decision.

May I sincerely congratulate USSS and other helpers for their patience and dedication in providing support to Comodo.

Maurice
XP Pro SP3 backed up with XXClone - Office XP : Latest Avast!, Online Armor, WinPatrol, Threatfire - WWW with Sandboxie - Occasional CCleaner,a2Free, SAS

Offline Star Shadow

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
I am going to third USSS's idea. :) I think that would be a big help especially one that was compatible with the new versions that have SafeSurf and uninstall that completely so the reinstall bug where the screen is not presented to install SafeSurf. I have this bug currently. The only fix I know of at the moment is to re-install the entire OS, which is not entirely a bad thing for me since I use vLite. ;)

I would also like to say I agree with MauriceW in congratulating everyone on this forum that takes their time to help users out. :)

Hmmm. I have some ideas, but I need to do some research first. And after that, I would need some help. :P

Later all.
Married to a loving wife. :)

Offline mantra

• Comodo's Hero
Toggie, I made the changes you suggested.  I'm sure there will be a few others down the road.  Thank you for your feedback.

For users without access to a third-party registry tool, I decided to go through the registry and identify as many keys associated with CFP as I could.  Once again, I urge everyone to make a backup of their registry before using these instructions.

Stephen Gray
Houston, Texas
can you update the uninstaller ?
to make a clean uninstall of the new version  (V) (CLY)
Comodo Rocks  (R)

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
It's really up to Ragwing to update the batch file to include SafeSurf (I am not using this new feature). 

Again, I would not refer to the batch file as an "uninstaller."  It is simply a utility to remove remnant registry entries and files/folders that may be left behind following a "standard" uninstallation using "Add/Remove Software" in Control Panel.
Tip of the Day: "Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names of all the people that you do not know."

ThinkPad T43 and Micron Millennia Desktop: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.1.325 and CFP 3.0.25.378 running on Windows XP Pro SP2 x32

Offline Ragwing

• Comodo's Hero
I've updated the batch file now. I've also changed the title of the topic so that users understand that it'll remove SafeSurf Toolbar too, and not just CFP 3.
If there's anything wrong with the code, PM me and I'll fix it.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Offline justinechan

Hello all,

I was just wondering if you could help me with an uninstallation problem with my Comodo firewall pro 3.0.21.329? I just can't seem to uninstall it, as there's no remove button for it in Add/Remove programs. When I try to install a new CFP it can't uninstall properly, and updating doesn't work. I'm using winxp sp2 and on a broadband connection.
I have very, very limited abilities regarding the use of regedit and command prompt and was hoping you could quickly and simply guide me in the uninstalling of comodo, so I can install the new version.

I'm not sure if this is the thread which relates to my concerns though since I don't have that toolbar, and unable to do a standard uninstall in the first place (the batch file requires a standard uninstall first right?).

Cheers :)

DarkButterfly

All you need to perform a great uninstall of Comodo products, and as well as all other products are 2 great free tools: Revo Uninstaller and MVRegClean.

Just uninstall any application with Revo Uninstaller and then make a final registry cleaning with MVRegClean. No mess done. Perfect!

I once tried the procedure with the file provided in the thread but it did not work out. I tried other tools and found those 2 to be perfect.

Also make sure before cleaninf with MVRegClean to manually delete all Comodo left over files that Revo may not have deleted.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:51:35 AM by DarkButterfly »

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
Hello all,

I was just wondering if you could help me with an uninstallation problem with my Comodo firewall pro 3.0.21.329? I just can't seem to uninstall it, as there's no remove button for it in Add/Remove programs. When I try to install a new CFP it can't uninstall properly, and updating doesn't work. I'm using winxp sp2 and on a broadband connection.
I have very, very limited abilities regarding the use of regedit and command prompt and was hoping you could quickly and simply guide me in the uninstalling of comodo, so I can install the new version.

I'm not sure if this is the thread which relates to my concerns though since I don't have that toolbar, and unable to do a standard uninstall in the first place (the batch file requires a standard uninstall first right?).

Cheers :)
Hi, justinechan, and welcome to the Comodo forums.

I would first try running the batch file that appears at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

If you are still having problems thereafter, then applying the two tools suggested by DarkButterfly would be the next step.  Be sure to read the documentation for each so that you fully understand how they work.  It would also be a good opportunity for you to learn how to back up your Windows Registry if you intend to try a registry management utility.  See here for information: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/322756

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Offline Irish39

I hope the batch file works...I'm having too many problems with understanding how V3 works.  Hope to go back to V2.

One suggestion, however, be sure to set a system restore point before doing anything.  JMHO.... 

Vettetech

That recommendation is in the first post by USSS. Look at step 1. I actually never needed to use this cause Revo works great for me.

Offline Ragwing

• Comodo's Hero
I found some mistakes in the batch file, which have been corrected now. It includes a missing '/', which caused a registry key to not be removed, and another one that made the temporary file created to remove individual registry entries to not be deleted (cmd.exe would report that the file didn't exist).
If you have questions or feedback, please PM me.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Offline Liron

• Product Translator
  • Comodo's Hero
I found some mistakes in the batch file, which have been corrected now. It includes a missing '/', which caused a registry key to not be removed, and another one that made the temporary file created to remove individual registry entries to not be deleted (cmd.exe would report that the file didn't exist).
If you have questions or feedback, please PM me.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Thanks for this great tool and for the update. (I was the first who downloaded it!  :P)
Liron Jan.
Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp0
CIS 6.3 All enabled
Comodo DNS enabled.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek