Author Topic: Full Removal of Comodo Firewall Pro 3 with SafeSurf Toolbar (If Regular Uninstall Method Fails)  (Read 355812 times)

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
Clearly, the uninstaller module for CFP needs to be overhauled, perhaps from scratch. 

No argument there. 

Is it absurd to go through this much trouble?  In a way, yes.  But keep in mind that CFP is still a "work in progress."

For a "typical" CFP installation, it will take about 30-45 minutes to complete my instructions, start to finish.  If you use Ragwing's batch file, it should reduce your uninstallation time considerably.  The full set of instructions and the batch file are provided so that current users have a choice, particularly if one approach does not completely remove CFP from their systems.

When you have a tight-knit community such as ours pitching in and helping others, you can get a sense of what it must be like to help in the development of 'open source' software.  And while CFP is certainly not open-source, it IS free and it does the job a lot better than software selling for USD40 or more.

The benefits ARE there if you are willing to contribute, even if in a small way.
Tip of the Day: "Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names of all the people that you do not know."

ThinkPad T43 and Micron Millennia Desktop: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.1.325 and CFP 3.0.25.378 running on Windows XP Pro SP2 x32

Offline Ragwing

• Comodo's Hero
I want to add that most software leavs files and registry entries after uninstallation, so CFP isn't the only one. But yes, it could be fixed really easy.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Offline TMontana

• Say hello to my little friend... Vista
I did not mean it unfriendly or unpolite but I just needed things to do on my PC and sofar apart from surfing the web I the firewall disallowed all my attempts to make a Coldfusion DSN from my Coldfusion Administrator tool on my PC to connect to a mysql and mssql databases.

So I am alone with Windows Firewall once again. I sure hope the interface becomes more orientated towards the enduser who is not a programmer or hacker.

I would not mind paying for a more intuitative GUI.

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
Oh, no offense taken.  Most of the folks here have a pretty thick skin, LOL.

The frustration with CFP is real, of course, but the Comodo development and programming teams are doing their best, in my opinion, to improve all facets of the product.  They're just not able to do it all at once.  And that holds true for any application that delves as deeply into the operating system as CFP does.

Use the tools provided here, and let us know if you eventually are able to successfully reinstall CFP.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 06:15:58 PM by USSS »
Tip of the Day: "Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names of all the people that you do not know."

ThinkPad T43 and Micron Millennia Desktop: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.1.325 and CFP 3.0.25.378 running on Windows XP Pro SP2 x32

Josh123

This is very good USSS!

You should be a Moderator!!

Josh.

Offline Ragwing

• Comodo's Hero
This is very good USSS!

You should be a Moderator!!

Josh.

I can't give out the Moderator's secret information, so I'll give you an encrypted Yoda message.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
In addition to developing marketing and public relations strategies, I write professionally for a living.

So I'm happy to perform a bit of pro bono work for several forums.  But I leave moderating up to the professionals with pointy ears and skin badly in need of a South Texas tan (just kidding, just kidding).  I have neither qualification.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, nevertheless.  And a tip of my hat to the moderators, all of whom do a great job here.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 06:27:33 PM by USSS »

Offline simmikie

• Comodo Member
Clearly, the uninstaller module for CFP needs to be overhauled, perhaps from scratch. 

No argument there. 

Is it absurd to go through this much trouble?  In a way, yes.  But keep in mind that CFP is still a "work in progress."

For a "typical" CFP installation, it will take about 30-45 minutes to complete my instructions, start to finish.  If you use Ragwing's batch file, it should reduce your uninstallation time considerably.  The full set of instructions and the batch file are provided so that current users have a choice, particularly if one approach does not completely remove CFP from their systems.

When you have a tight-knit community such as ours pitching in and helping others, you can get a sense of what it must be like to help in the development of 'open source' software.  And while CFP is certainly not open-source, it IS free and it does the job a lot better than software selling for USD40 or more.

The benefits ARE there if you are willing to contribute, even if in a small way.

well i was not pointing at the process as being absurd as much as the idea that the developers were so confident in their offering, they completely overlooked the fact that some may actually want to rid themselves of it. now that is absurd!   (:KWL)

in any case, i have no axe to grind with Comodo. i have been following the development of this app with interest since the first alpha appeared. i am in no hurry though, so i will probably hold off until 2-3 qtr of 08 before taking a spin in it.

Best Wishes & Merry Christmas.

Mike

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
Thanks for the amplification, Mike. 

I dare say that a love/hate relationship exists with Comodo among many of these users here.  If the opposite were true -- that is, the program installed flawlessly, yet provided mediocre protection -- then we'd be hearing howls of complaints about its efficacy as a firewall/HIPS.  Fortunately, that's not the case for the most part, though I am not downplaying the frustration experienced by those who have nothing but problems with installing and uninstalling CFP.

Certainly, the installer issue is fixable, and I truly hope the majority of the other bugs will be ironed out well before the end of the first quarter of 2008.  Who wants to wait that long?  I sure don't, and neither should you have to.

Offline Coolio10

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Weird. The uninstaller worked excellent for me. Only left over sigsdb.db. This includes device manger, app data etc....

I had defence+ in training mode. It seems the installer works fine but comodo can't delete its own files in use because defence+ can't be closed.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Offline stuartnz

• मैं नंदिता का दास बन्ना चहता हूँ
    • What's a pieriansipist?
Thanks for this. The only thing that threw me briefly was that I have no  ControlSet002 in my Registry, only 001 and 003. Looking forward to installing the new Comodo and seeing if it will play nice with my updated Kaspersky (I just moved from 6 to 7).
ओ पालन्हारे ... तुम्रे बिन हम्र कौनोन नहीं
What's  a pieriansipist?

Offline Ragwing

• Comodo's Hero
Thanks for this. The only thing that threw me briefly was that I have no  ControlSet002 in my Registry, only 001 and 003.

Ah, the ControlSetxxx is the Last Known Configuration that Windows can use if the booting fail. Therefore, you might or might not have all of them.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Offline USSS

• Comodo's Hero
The enumerator for the ControlSet### group of registry keys will vary between systems.  Most only have two such groups, plus the CurrentControlSet group.  I just noticed in another thread that you have CFP and KAV working together.  That's great!

Offline stuartnz

• मैं नंदिता का दास बन्ना चहता हूँ
    • What's a pieriansipist?
The enumerator for the ControlSet### group of registry keys will vary between systems.  Most only have two such groups, plus the CurrentControlSet group.  I just noticed in another thread that you have CFP and KAV working together.  That's great!

Yep, smooth as silk. Thanks again!
ओ पालन्हारे ... तुम्रे बिन हम्र कौनोन नहीं
What's  a pieriansipist?

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
I did not mean it unfriendly or unpolite but I just needed things to do on my PC and sofar apart from surfing the web I the firewall disallowed all my attempts to make a Coldfusion DSN from my Coldfusion Administrator tool on my PC to connect to a mysql and mssql databases.
TMontana,

I'm going to guess that the difficulty with your *sql db's will relate to a security setting in CFP; either the Firewall/Advanced/Firewall Behavior Settings or Defense +/Advanced/Defense + Settings.  I have utilized an mssql db w/o any issues whatsoever, using just the FW side of v3.  I have not tried this using D+ as well.  With just the FW side,  I had to allow the service to connect one time and that was it (with "Remember" of course).  My guess is it's probably related to a D+ setting; if you reinstall and try again, I'd watch how that side of it is configured, pretty closely.

LM

PS:  To all who might wonder about whether or not a question will be answered in conjunction with major international holidays, it's probably less likely than normal.  Reason being, the Moderators here are volunteer; we're not employees of Comodo, so our time sometimes just belongs to us...  That's not to say we aren't willing to help, or don't want to, we just may have other priorities in life.  We do try, as a whole, to address questions within 24 hours of them being posted.
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek