Archived Boards > Help for v2

Untouched comodo, some apps worked, Remote Assistance won't

(1/3) > >>

comode:
HI, I installed comodo firewall, and just have some questions.

I read that even if some apps are allowed in AM, like msn messenger for instance, but no rule is created in NM for it, then msnmsgr wont work. But msnmsgr is not in the AM and I have not configured anything in the NM (block rule is still at number 5), but it works just fine......

Yet I cant get remote assistance to work. Someone is sending me an invitation, but it says "could not resolve host name".
I have the pc that is sending me the invitation's ip address, and i've tried many combinations of allowing port 3389 and their ip, and moving the rules to position one, but still not connecting.
When it tries to connect, comodo doesnt ask for any confirmation either, and nothing relating to remote assistance is in the AM.

How can i set it up?

thankyou.

Little Mac:
comode,

You may try going to Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous and doing two things:

1.  Uncheck the box, "Do not show alerts for applications certified by Comodo."  This will be why you're not seeing an alert for MSN Msgr (regarding application monitor); the default network monitor rules are general enough that it will allow the outbound connection (and the inbound response is not an unsolicited inbound connection, so it will be allowed too, just like your browser).  If you create an application rule specifying ports, etc, then you will find it to be blocked by the network monitor...

2.  Move Alert Frequency slider to High or Very High.  OK, and reboot.  Now you will see direction/ip/port/etc popups occurring.  Be sure to allow svchost.exe or you may be blocked from connecting entirely.  Then try your remote assistance scenario and see if you get a popup to allow.  You can turn the Frequency back down later so that you're not covered up in all sorts of popups and rules...

BTW, as I re-read your post, is the remote assistance scenario being started by your computer (thus being outbound), or is it started by the other computer (thus being inbound)?  If it's the latter, number 2 above won't do diddly for you; we'll need to see the logs of what is being blocked. 

To do that, go to Activity/Logs, right-click an entry and select "Clear all Logs."  Then have the remote assistance scenario start again, to generate block entries.  Right-click again, select "Export to HTML."  Save and reopen the file; highlight and Copy the new entries, and Paste them into the textbox of your next post.  You can edit out your personal/external IP with "x" for privacy.

You might also open Network Monitor to full-screen size, capture a screenshot.  Save the screenshot as an image file (jpg, gif, png) and attach to your post under Additional Options.

LM

comode:
Hi LM

I'm initiating the contact(the other pc is inviting me via msn messenger, when i accept it connects from my pc and logs on to theirs).
I unchecked the box(1) and moved the slider to very high, rebooted.
when i tried connecting only messenger and helpcntre pop ups showed from comodo(chose allow for every pop up), but it didn't connect.
When i choose allow all, it connects fine, when i set back to custom, it wont connect and comes back with a host name unresolved box.
before i set it back to custom, i cleared logs, then connected, and when i pressed ok to the error box, i saved the comodo log to html.

hope it helps.

Little Mac:
Okay thanks, Comode...

This is you responding to the invitation:

Date/Time :2007-03-22 00:22:44
Severity :High
Reporter :Application Behavior Analysis
Description: Suspicious Behaviour (HelpCtr.exe)
Application: C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe
Parent: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rcimlby.exe
Protocol: TCP Out
Destination: 58.173.232.0::61521
Details: C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe has tried to use C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe through OLE Automation

This is your application connecting to the internet/remote location:

Date/Time :2007-03-22 00:22:45
Severity :High
Reporter :Application Monitor
Description: Suspicious Behaviour (HelpCtr.exe)
Application: C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe
Parent: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rcimlby.exe
Protocol: TCP Out
Destination: 58.173.232.0::61521
Details: C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpCtr.exe is an invisible application

You've got some ICMP Port Unreachable entries to a different IP, but I really don't think those are immediately related.  I could be wrong, but we'll leave them for now.

Then you've got this:

Date/Time :2007-03-22 00:23:06
Severity :Medium
Reporter :Network Monitor
Description: Inbound Policy Violation (Access Denied, IP = 10.48.0.1, Port = dhcp(68))
Protocol: UDP Incoming
Source: 10.48.0.1:bootp(67)
Destination: 255.255.255.255:dhcp(68)
Reason: Network Control Rule ID = 8

Two of them to be exact, then it kind of repeats; probably a second connection attempt.  The IP in blue is an internal IP address, which would likely be the IP address of the network you're attempting to log in to; probably a business, based on the 10.x.x.x.  This network is trying to assign you a DCHP lease for the network, and it's failing (because it's blocked).  Make sense to you?  If that stacks up with what you know about your remote connection, then we'll need to create a rule to allow this (you can confirm by setting to Allow All, logging in to the remote system, and checking the ipconfig for the DHCP Server IP address...).

Here's the thing, tho... you stated earlier that Rule ID 5 is still your default Block rule in the Network Monitor, but this is blocked by Rule ID 8, as are the ICMP entries.  That says there are rules in there besides the default...  Will you open Network Monitor to full-screen, capture a screenshot, save it as an image file (jpg, png, gif) and attach to your post under Additional Options.

TNX,

LM

comode:
yeah rule 8 is the block rule, because i made some rules and moved them up, i made an allow tcp/udp port 3389 rule and allow ip in out rules putting my ip as source and their ip as destination. Obviously it had no effect  :)   So rule 8 in the logs is definitely the default block rule.

Ok, now, both those destination ip's for helpctr.exe are the pc's public ip address im trying to connect to. Their broadband internet is connected to a modem which is connected to a router which is connected to their pc(192.168.0.100).
They have done all the port forwarding etc.. and like I said if i allow all in comodo, it connects fine, so there end is set up ok. They gave me the public ip address, Is that the one i should have asked for? I can ask them for another ip if i need too.

I'm really not sure what the 10.48.0.1 address is, and where that is in the chain, and whether its their modem or router or pc thats getting blocked by comodo.

thanks again

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek