Author Topic: How to uninstall Comodo Firewall?  (Read 199660 times)

Offline Builder

Re: How to uninstall Comodo Firewall?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 07:45:42 AM »
I have been through a similar process as thanatosades. I found three registry entries called Comodo Network Engine. RegEdit would not allow these to be deleted, but I (apparently) deleted them using a different program (VAS Free System Tools). However, as soon as a looked away then came back to the same folder, the entry reappeared (not deleted at all).
Has anyone any idea how to delete the Comodo Network Engine entries?
Can it be done from a login specifically for administrator? My admin login doesn't work, but I can take the computer to someone who has other admin logins.

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 12:24:44 PM »

Can it be done from a login specifically for administrator? My admin login doesn't work, but I can take the computer to someone who has other admin logins.

Welcome to the forums, Builder!

Yes, you will need the appropriate Administrative Privileges, in order to be able to do what you're trying to do.

You also want to make sure (prior to removing the registry entries) that you stop the Firewall Service and Driver:

Service is:  CmdAgent
Driver is:  CmdMon
I recommend ServiWin as an easy way to do this.  Simply change the Startup Type to "Disabled."

Also remove the startup entry for CPF - Go to Start/Run, type "msconfig".  Go to the Startup tab, find the entry for CPF, and uncheck the box.  Click Apply, then OK.

Then reboot the computer.

Hope that helps,

LM

These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline Builder

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 08:34:53 AM »
Thanks LM. Comodo no longer exists in Services, so there was nothing to disable. I am long past that point, thanks to advice from other support staff.

There is no startup tab for CPF in msconfig. That would seem to make sense (what you suggested), to remove the startup engine so that new version of CPF will not believe that an old version is still installed. However, apparently I am past that point as well. No CPF representation in msconfig.

I still have a few registry entries for "Comodo Network Engine", the perpetrator. I have admin privileges, so I should have access to the entries to delete them But I can't delete them.

(1) Can I change their values somehow so that the new CPF Pro will not recognize the old registry entries? I can't change these entries with anything I know. I can't even rename them now with what I know.

(2) Can I access the uninstall file from the old version from the Comodo web site? A support person sent that file via email to a friend, who cannnot access it at this time because he has a motherboard problem or he would send it to me. Or is the uninstall file posted somewhere I can grab it? Maybe it would clean out the last few registry entries.

(3) Any other suggestions? I apparently have the engine starting at startup, with nothing to run. But the new CFP sees the engine running and determines that an old version of CPF is still installed. The file fwconfig is gone from my computer, if that counts for anything.

CFP is working SO well in my other computer. This whole issue began with an error I made with the activation code in the old version. Thank God that's gone with CFP 2.4

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 10:11:07 AM »
Builder,

In the first page of this thread, there are command-line instructions from Egemen for manually uninstalling CPF.  If you've already followed those with no joy, then you might try this, so that you can delete those stubborn registry entries.

Open Device Manager.

Go to View, select Show Hidden Devices.

Scroll down to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers.

You should see two entries for Comodo:
     Comodo Application Engine
     Comodo Network Engine

Disable if they're still active.  Reboot your computer.  Now see if you can delete those registry entries.  BTW, are you using RegEdit, or some 3rd party registry tool?

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Offline Builder

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 07:59:35 PM »
Thanks Little Mac. My wife's computer is now the proud possessor of the spanking clean new CFP 2.4 The tentacles are out from the old version.

It is worth nothing that while I could disable Comodo Network Engine (Comodo Application Engine was not in the machine any longer) using Device Manager, I could not later delete the files using RegEdit (not a 3rd party registry editor). I returned to device manager to see that the engine was disabled, right clicked, and learned that I could delete the engine from there. It left peaceably with no fuss and after a reboot was permanently gone.

Thanks to you and other Comodo staff support for your patience and good suggestions. Though I must admit, you gave the straight answers while the others directed me to forum discussions that had no practical bearing on my problem. Still very prompt replies though, everyone.   (:CLP)

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 10:30:29 PM »
Great, Builder, I'm glad that worked out!   (:CLP)

As far as the answers, well, we all have different ways of looking at things.  Sometimes a different perspective is the one we need... ;)

Sometimes I'm out in left field, sometimes I nail it...  The good thing is, you got where you needed to go.

Glad to help,

LM
Forum Policy

Offline Builder

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 07:40:01 AM »
I got where I needed to go, but I emphasize that everyone at Comodo support was willing to help and to give more if what they advised was not enough.

Through the whole agonizing process of over three days (about 30 hours all told), I always had confidence that I would get through the problem. I had no experience at removing stuff from a registry and had been warned many times about it. But the Comodo guys walked me through it step by step, as if it was a driving lesson.

Great job, everyone!    :Beer

Offline nyijedi

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 09:05:43 PM »
I'm hoping somebody can help me.  I'm having similar problems uninstalling Comodo Firewall as well.  I've tried EVERYTHING in this thread and I'm still not having any luck.  It uninstalls "fine," but Windows Security Center always says Comodo is still running, even after it has been uninstalled. I've re-installed, disabled the services, and uninstalled several times, all with no luck.  Also, I've been unable to delete the Comodo Application Agent using regedit.  It's not a permissions issue, b/c I'm logged in as the Administrator and I can delete other registry entries.  Does anyone have any more suggestions?  This is getting VERY FRUSTRATING.  I use Comodo on my own PC, but I'm trying to remove it from a family member's and I'm running into this problem.  Thanks for the help.

Offline hilmi

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 03:25:08 AM »
I've had continuous problems with 2.4 so wanted to go back to 2.3 but i am having no success to delete those legacy_cmdagent, legacy_inspect,etc entries in the register using regedit. I tried everything mentioned here but to no avail. Uninstall works alright but not able to delete these entries for a clean install.

Any suggestions please

Hilmi
XP Pro SP2, cable modem, Nod32, SpyWall, COMODO

soyabeaner

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 07:57:20 AM »
Those registries are easy to delete.  Right click on the key entries (not the key values) in question and select the properties/permissions and grant yourself full control.  Then you can delete them.  I think by default windows sets all legacy keys this way.

Offline hilmi

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 08:01:17 PM »
Thanks soyabeaner, that was the trick.
That's another thing I like about comodo. There are lots of experts here and I have learned a lot and still learning.

My appreciation goes to all

P.S. After deleting those entries I installed 2.4 again to try it once more. And so far it's jolly good.

Thanks
 (:CLP)

Hilmi
XP Pro SP2, cable modem, Nod32, SpyWall, COMODO

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »
I'm hoping somebody can help me.  I'm having similar problems uninstalling Comodo Firewall as well.  I've tried EVERYTHING in this thread and I'm still not having any luck.  It uninstalls "fine," but Windows Security Center always says Comodo is still running, even after it has been uninstalled. I've re-installed, disabled the services, and uninstalled several times, all with no luck.  Also, I've been unable to delete the Comodo Application Agent using regedit.  It's not a permissions issue, b/c I'm logged in as the Administrator and I can delete other registry entries.  Does anyone have any more suggestions?  This is getting VERY FRUSTRATING.  I use Comodo on my own PC, but I'm trying to remove it from a family member's and I'm running into this problem.  Thanks for the help.

If soyabeaner's tip for the registry keys doesn't help, you might need to rebuild the Security Center Repository.  This is easily accomplished and we can help you with that. 

Once the reg keys are gone, see if WSC is still saying CFP is active, and we'll go from there...

LM
Forum Policy

Offline nyijedi

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 11:46:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I'll have access to this PC again this weekend, so I'll post back with the results.

Offline bustermattie

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 12:57:04 PM »

I'm reviving this thread because this is exactly what is happening with me.

I've removed Comodo completely. No reg entries, no folders, no device manager instances, no services, yet Windows Security Center still shows Comodo is running as the firewall. 

I've reinstalled and uninstalled and downloaded the unistaller.

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks

Offline JJasper

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »
Hello bustermattie

Welcome to Comodo

1. stop the WMI Service
2. delete the "repository" folder in C:\windows\system32\wbem
3. start the WMI Service. Starting the service rebuilds the deleted folder and the database.

John

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek