Author Topic: Corrupted Windows Font  (Read 36144 times)

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
Re: Corrupted Windows Font
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 01:40:02 AM »
CCE is Comodo Cleaning Essentials - a malware removal system
CSC is Comodo System Cleaner - registry, privacy and system cleaner

Thanks Ewen,

I see what you mean about not having the root cause in situ but if it were to be CSC then surely you would have more than two complainants??? 

I will see what I can find. I will also see if I can find someone to identify the item deleted from my phone by AVG because if that is the root cause you need to know...

As an end user I have to trust the tools that I choose to use, and since I have used CSC for some time and on more than just the two computers that have had problems I would be astounded if it turns out to be a CSC bug.

If I were to make an observation about the differences between CSC and CCE it would be that they use the same terms to describe different things. They both have registry cleaners, privacy cleaners and system cleaners so please forgive my confusion. It there some explanation of the differences that i have missed?

Should I post to a CCE forum as well or could you pass on the details?

regards

David

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Linux is free only if your time is worthless.;-)
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 08:18:09 AM »
If I were to make an observation about the differences between CSC and CCE it would be that they use the same terms to describe different things. They both have registry cleaners, privacy cleaners and system cleaners so please forgive my confusion. It there some explanation of the differences that i have missed?

CCE's focus is on malware removal - check out Killswitch (a part of CCE) - very nice tool!!!
CSC is more about the OS and the natural crap that builds up over time.

Cheers,
Ewen :-)
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".
All users are asked to please read and abide by the  Comodo Forum Policy.
If you can't conform, don't use the forum.

Offline yadango

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 03:01:30 PM »
I ran into this problem a few days ago fixing my gf computer.  She said computer rebooted and when it came back up the fonts were messed up. I took a lookat the fonts directory and only 3 fonts were there. Fixedsys and two others.  So i put fonts from my windows and installed them on hers.  A few minutes later the fonts disappeared again. I did it again and watched taskman and while cleaner_validator.exe was busy it happened again.  So i uninstalled all the comodo utilities except for the security center and all is good now.

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »
I ran into this problem a few days ago fixing my gf computer.  She said computer rebooted and when it came back up the fonts were messed up. I took a lookat the fonts directory and only 3 fonts were there. Fixedsys and two others.  So i put fonts from my windows and installed them on hers.  A few minutes later the fonts disappeared again. I did it again and watched taskman and while cleaner_validator.exe was busy it happened again.  So i uninstalled all the comodo utilities except for the security center and all is good now.

We Found that restoring the font entries in the registry worked well - but the trick seems to be to immediately purge all pre-fetching.

If I have any more feedback I will post it, but so far that seems to have done the trick.

Offline cbreeze

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »
Greetings,

As of last night add me to this list.  I had an IT friend install CSC when he helped me with another problem several months ago.  I am using Windows 7.  Since I have only a basic understanding of how computers worked, I was concerned but he said it was "idiot proof" and not to worry.

Since that time I used it several times with no problems.  Last night I used it and when it was finished, all my Windows fonts were corrupted.  Windows does seem to work normally but I can't read anything.  I tried to do some basic stuff but because of the font problem, I am unable to use system resotore or go back and undue what CSC had done.  No luck running in safe mode either.  Same problem.

As of right now, I can't use my computer and would appreciate some help.  My friend is ill and I don't want to bother him at this point with this issue.  CSC caused this problem because my computer was fine before I adtivated the program and that was the only thing I did.  Once CSC did it's thing, the problem appeared.

Once again, I would sure appreciate some help.  I hope there is an easy fix because I would be very reluctant to use Comodo again.

cbreeze

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 04:16:46 PM »
Sorry to add to the CSC theory but apart from charging my mobile phone on the two affected computers the only commonalities were comodo installations.

At least we know the two registry entries that are affected and the trick of deleting prefetch entries immediately after restoring the registry. The registry uses a different file for its font identification and so is still readable even though everything else is symbols.

Perhaps a standard 'get out of jail' typical registry entry could be put up for everyone's reference after the techie folk have proved the problem.

For everyones reference, when I asked for support from AVG for their Android scanner and described my theory they said the following:

Unfortunately, there is no scan log history in AVG Mobilation yet. This feature will
be implemented in the future releases. But this will only show the user the name of
the file before you delete a certain threat.

It is very unlikely that the virus will be transferred from the phone to the pc.
Viruses is specifically being made for a specific software (Operating system). For
example. The virus that are affecting Windows won't work with computer running with
MAC and vice versa because they have a different structure. This also applies from
phone to PC.

Offline cbreeze

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »
Greetings,

Just wanted to update this for anyone  else having  similar problems.  I took my computer to my IT friend who instlalled CSC on my computer several months ago.  He also informed me that two other people at work who he also installed CSC on their computers had the same problem.

After working on my computer and getting it running again, he informed me that the problem was not virus related but due to a recent Comodo upgrade.  He deleted the program from his computer, my computer and the other individuals at work.  Obviously told me not to use it again until the  problem was fixed.

Sof or me it is bye bye Comodo, might try it again if I ever hear that the problem was resolved.  I hope this helps others with the same problem.

cbreeze

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
Corrupted Windows Font AGAIN aaaagh!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 05:09:10 AM »
Well 'it' came back this afternoon. On my work computer, which is a clunky old 32 bit XP Pro machine.

It seems to be the CSC updater program that is the problem...  First signs that anything was wrong happened when the updater pop-up appeared a couple of times and then the network access died with a message talking about lack of system resources.  Not thinking that it was 'that' problem again I re-booted and the problem was there but luckily with a readable system message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library  Runtime Error quoting the CSC Updater and an error number R6025 - pure virtual function call

The CSC updater is v1.0.0.1 and has not been updated by CSC updates.

I restored to a previous version and tried a partial flush of the prefetch but that only partly worked...

Now what should I do????

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 06:03:04 AM »
Can you please lodge a support ticket at the official support centre - http://support.comodo.com.

You will need to register there, as your forum credentials don't flow through.

Hopefully the error code you managed to capture will help the devs nail this.

Cheers,
As your mums would say, "If you can't play nice with all the other kiddies, go home".

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »
Can you please lodge a support ticket at the official support centre - http://support.comodo.com.

You will need to register there, as your forum credentials don't flow through.

Hopefully the error code you managed to capture will help the devs nail this.

Cheers,

Not as easy as you think. No relevant topic. I chose OTHER and it took the message calling it a Certificate problem.  G knows why you run such a user unfriendly and pedantic system.  Now I will get an email telling me to repeat the process somewhere else.  Don't you people have the ability to talk to each other??? I have enough problems already without having to fight a support forum while using someone elses computer. forums are not my choice of fun entertainment and I only come to them with a problem and therefore am in an irrational state of mind - all I want is help and if someone else patronises me and tells me to copy logs or something that is plainly impractical geographically I can only develop bad feelings towards comodo. So far I have stayed loyal and not put down your products but I am rapidly being driven to complete despair and will have to stop using all Comodo products except dragon. Aaaaagh!!! And nobody cares - they only get self righteous and defensive.

Offline HeffeD

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 12:29:12 PM »
And nobody cares - they only get self righteous and defensive.

People do care and are trying to help you! It's understandable that you are frustrated, but accusing people who are only trying to help you of being patronizing is going a bit too far.

In order to troubleshoot your problem, you are going to need to provide data relevant to your system. Without this, there is absolutely no chance of replicating your issue and the problem will not be fixed. When someone asks for this data, they are not being condescending. They are only trying to narrow down the scope of where the problem may lie. Asking for copies of logs may indeed be impractical geographically for you, but it is a critical step in the troubleshooting process.

Please make an attempt to take these steps to help you at face value, not turn it into something it is not. Not surprisingly, confrontational posts tend to garner confrontational replies. 

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »
People do care and are trying to help you! It's understandable that you are frustrated, but accusing people who are only trying to help you of being patronizing is going a bit too far.

In order to troubleshoot your problem, you are going to need to provide data relevant to your system. Without this, there is absolutely no chance of replicating your issue and the problem will not be fixed. When someone asks for this data, they are not being condescending. They are only trying to narrow down the scope of where the problem may lie. Asking for copies of logs may indeed be impractical geographically for you, but it is a critical step in the troubleshooting process.

Please make an attempt to take these steps to help you at face value, not turn it into something it is not. Not surprisingly, confrontational posts tend to garner confrontational replies. 

Yes - I see your points. The problem with a forum is that open discussion often provides confrontational responses. The option is for a calmer mutually helpful responses or to not respond at all.  The problem with not responding is that people are not aware that there are criticisms which should be addressed in the same calm manner. Is it politically incorrect to have critical points of view and to undburden oneself in the hope that the reader will come to understand the frustration and try to help without reacting emotionally? A tough call.

Offline panic

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »
A PM has been sent to the dev lead for CSC.

Offline Victor Dragut

• Comodo Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 01:37:43 AM »
Hi Guys, Im not sure where to post this so i am hoping that this is the correct place.
Last week on Friday I installed COMODO Security Cleaner on my personal laptop and on a machine at the office. Both of these PC's all of a sudden shut down and when windows loaded all of the font was written in some strange machine code.  Everything that windows presents to the screen is written in machine code.

My laptop is Vista Ultimate 64bit
Work PC is XP Professional

Hi,

To fix the problem on the Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x64bit please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x64.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.
To fix the problem on the Windows XP Professional x86, Windows 7 x86 and Windows Vista x86  please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x86.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.

Thank you for your support.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:20:23 AM by Ieronim Trisca »
Regards,
Victor Dragut

Offline Topcat2456

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 03:32:07 AM »
Hi,

To fix the problem on the Vista Ultimate 64 bit please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x64.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.
To fix the problem on the Windows XP Professional 32 bit please download the file from the following link: http://download.comodo.com/csc/download/updates/TEST/Fonts/Fonts_x86.reg , double click on it and follow the steps from the attached screenshots. Restart the operating system and the fonts will be restored.

Thank you for your support.

Au contraire - a heartfelt thank YOU for your support.

With luck everything will stay OK.

Is it safe to download and reinstall the latest version of CSC??

regards

David

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek