My CBU backup looks strange — garbled or corrupted? Is it reliable?

Hello.

I used Comodo Backup around a year ago to do a full backup to a CBU file. I backed up my D partition, V partition, and a few folders on my C drive. I never needed to restore the backup, so I never actually checked it at the time. I just did the backup and that was that.

Fast forward to now, and I decided to do another backup. At first, I planned to do an incremental backup on top of my previous one. Before going ahead with it, I decided to open up the CBU backup file from last year to make sure that everything looked right in it — and this is where the issues begin.

When I double-click the CBU backup file, it opens in Comodo Backup and has a list of folders that are in the backup. However, there seems to be something strange going on… For example, it displays the following:

<V:>Applications
<V:>Computing
<V:>Downloads
<D:>Gaming
<C:\Windows>Photography
<D:>Captured Screenshots

I’m not entirely sure what the text inside the angled brackets is supposed to mean (the software doesn’t say and I couldn’t find anything on your website explaining it), but my assumption is that it’s meant to indicate the original location of those folders. If so, they’re wrong! “Applications”, “Computing”, and “Downloads” have always been on my D partition, not on my V partition. “Photography” has also always been on my D partition — certainly not inside my C:\Windows folder! My “Captured Screenshots” folder has always been on my V partition, not on my D partition. What is going on here?

After I saw that my backup was in such a strange state, I became worried that it might not be reliable as a backup. I decided that instead of doing an incremental backup on top of it, I would just do another full backup from scratch, and hoped that it would work properly this time. So I spent all of last night running a full backup from scratch. It had completed in the morning, and I checked my new backup… and it has very similar issues with it. For example, it displays the following:

<C:>Work
<D:\Personal>Captured Screenshots
<V:>ProgramData
<V:>Computing
<V:>Users
<V:>Applications

This time it looks even more messed up than the backup from a year ago! My “Work” folder has always been on my D partition, not on my C drive. My “Captured Screenshots” folder has always been on the root of my V partition, not inside a subfolder on my D partition. The “ProgramData” and “Users” folders are special Windows folders that always exist on the C drive. My “Computing” and “Applications” folders have always been on my D partition, not on my V partition.

What is going on here?! Am I misunderstanding what the text within the angled brackets is supposed to represent? Is my backup corrupted, or can I actually rely on it if and when I need it in the future?

My D and V partitions are spread across three different hard drives in a software RAID0 setup, so I originally wondered if that had something to do with it. But even folders that are on my separate C drive SSD are showing up strangely.

I have no idea what’s going on here and it’s making me doubt if Comodo Backup is a safe program for me to be using for my backups.