I am running Win 7 64 professional and Comodo 4.
I have a 500G HD, partitioned into a 60G C: partition and the rest a D: partition
I have installed the OS and all program files into the C: partition. I am using the D: partition strictly for data.
Backing up and restoring files and directories from / to the D: partition seems to work fine. However, I have been unable to backup and restore the C: partition successfully.
The scenario I want to address is:
* My hard drive fails,
* I buy a new one (not necessarily the same size as the bad one)
* I want to restore the C: partition into the new drive so that I can boot from it and be back in business without having to reinstall the OS and all of my programs.
* I can then, restore my data into a new D: partition from a Data Backup.
* In essence, I want to have two sets of backups: A system backup (C: drive and all information needed to be able to boot from it) and a Data Backup. The reason for the two sets of backups is that I want to make daily incremental backups for my data; however, I only need to make weekly (or at will) incremental backups for the C: drive (since it does not change too often).
Here is what I did:
1. I took a backup using: New Custom Backup --> Disks, Partitions and MBR --> then under Disk 0, I selected a) Track 0 and MBR, b) (100MB) System Reserve, c) C:\ (59.96GB) C NTFS
2. The options for this backup were the default ones on the screen: incremental, automatic base, CBU file.
3. The backup completed successfully. The backup media was a USB external drive.
4. I then took another backup and CB found the existing base and made an incremental backup.
5. I then shut down the machine, removed the 500GB drive and inserted a spare 200GB drive formatted with one NTFS partition.
6. I booted using the Winpe disk
7. I invoked CB
8. I chose Restore, then I navigated to the backup on the external USB drive and CB seemed ok with it. The three items from step 1 were checked for restoring them.
9. I was given three options for destination: Disk 0 (the new 200G HD), Disk 1 (my external USB drive), Disk 2 (the USB flash drive containing WinPe).
10. I chose Disk 0 and proceeded with the Restore.
11. I received a warning regarding different partition structures and MBR and then CB proceeded with the restoration process that completed successfully.
12. I then used Diskpart and navigated to Disk 0; it had one C: partition with no data in it, and of course it was not bootable.
What did I do wrong? Did I perform the wrong type of backup? Am I supposed to prep somehow the replacement drive?
Thanks for reading this long post, but I wanted to present a picture of the process as complete as possible.