Author Topic: Folder renames when backup format is "Synchronized Copy"  (Read 2489 times)

Offline AntAM

Folder renames when backup format is "Synchronized Copy"
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:10:20 AM »
Hallo all,
I'm using CBU since 2 weeks and I'm quite happy now with this software.

I successfully tested CBU backing up a small folder and its subfolders (about 130 MB) in "Synchronized Copy" format. I'd like to sync a large folder (aboyt 15 GB) the same way. I always gave up until now: it seems that the first backup (files are already there in the destination) takes very long.

But what I mostly wonder is what is it going to happen if I rename a big folder?
I mean, does CBU restart copying all files in a new sync'ed folder while deleting the old folder content (it could take 10-15 minutes approx) or does it run like Windows itself, simply renaming the folder (1-2 sec)?

Thanks

Offline Ionut Holbia

Re: Folder renames when backup format is "Synchronized Copy"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:36 AM »
Hello ant,

If you rename a big folder inside of a synchronized folder (let's say you synchronized a folder "C:\test" and inside that folder you have another folder "MyFolder"(the size doesn't matter ) ) and you rename "MyFolder" the operation is instantly (like in windows).

Be carefulll with the rename operation. If you rename the folder that you synchronized, in our case "C:\test" the synchronization will stop working because you don't have the synchronized folder anymore.

Thank you for your comment!

Offline AntAM

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
First of all, thank you for you kind and fast reply, Ionut.

If you rename a big folder inside of a synchronized folder (let's say you synchronized a folder "C:\test" and inside that folder you have another folder "MyFolder"(the size doesn't matter ) ) and you rename "MyFolder" the operation is instantly (like in windows).

So you say that any moved or renamed file/folder on the source will NOT be deleted-and-recopied on the destination?
Does CBU reproduce on the destination what I did on the source, quite like M$ SyncToy?

Be carefulll with the rename operation. If you rename the folder that you synchronized, in our case "C:\test" the synchronization will stop working because you don't have the synchronized folder anymore.

Oh, yeah that's clear: I'll never rename the "root" of the sync'ed backup folder!  ;)

Thanks

Offline AntAM

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
So you say that any moved or renamed file/folder on the source will NOT be deleted-and-recopied on the destination?
Does CBU reproduce on the destination what I did on the source, quite like M$ SyncToy?

Ok, I just did some tests with some big folders and... CBU seems great!!!
It reproduces all my actions without deleting and recopying or -at least- without hanging my computer while performing its operations. It just runs smoothly and silently!

TWO THUMBS UP!!!  :-TU :-TU

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek