Author Topic: Firewall Tutorial for Utorrent with Comodo Internet Security  (Read 483902 times)

Offline itsdesp

Re: Tutorial for Utorrent with Comodo Firewall 3
« Reply #315 on: September 29, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply Xplorer 4x4,
                                               i can`t believe what a dumb idiot i`ve been. I had related the word "above" in the sentence to meaning (possibly) a set of rules that Ragwing had written in Option 1 ?. What a Richard head. Anyway Xplorer 4x4 thanks for your swift reply.

Offline itsdesp

Re: Problem with utorrents green/yellow/red button indicator
« Reply #316 on: September 30, 2008, 07:30:53 AM »
Hi everyone,
                  i`ve followed Ragwings option 2 settings to the letter to setup utorrent. The only changes that have been made in utorrents preferences is the 4 boxes in the connection settings are unticked, as i just run a virgin cable modem. Although i have not used utorrent yet ( more reading to do first) it would appear that it is working ok. The problem that i have is the utorrent button that should indicate green / yellow / red is missing from the GUI 99% of the time. On the very rare ocassions that it has been visible, the only colour it has been is green, and when i run the mouse over it, it says the system is all running ok. There is nothing i can do to make it visible, it seems to have a mind of it`s own.  Is this a bug ? or is there something further i need to do ?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.. Des.

Offline Ragwing

• Comodo's Hero
Re: Problem with utorrents green/yellow/red button indicator
« Reply #317 on: September 30, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »
Hi everyone,
                  ive followed Ragwings option 2 settings to the letter to setup utorrent. The only changes that have been made in utorrents preferences is the 4 boxes in the connection settings are unticked, as i just run a virgin cable modem. Although i have not used utorrent yet ( more reading to do first) it would appear that it is working ok. The problem that i have is the utorrent button that should indicate green / yellow / red is missing from the GUI 99% of the time. On the very rare ocassions that it has been visible, the only colour it has been is green, and when i run the mouse over it, it says the system is all running ok. There is nothing i can do to make it visible, it seems to have a mind of its own.  Is this a bug ? or is there something further i need to do ?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.. Des.

I used to have a bug with µTorrent before that made my icon always show that I had no incoming connections, so it's probably a bug. Also note that the icon won't show if you don't have any active torrent.

To test if your PC accepts incoming connection on the port you want, just use this address:
http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=0 (where 0 is replaced with the port number you're using)

Offline itsdesp

« Reply #318 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »
Hi Ragwing,

thanks for taking the time to post your configuration rules on the site, it`s a big help to us without the experience or knowledge. I`ve just clicked on your link but it just takes me to a non active page with the following written on it:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Missing port

I hope that wasn`t the actual test otherwise i`ve got problems, lol.  I`ve just retried the speedguide test again, and it states my port is ok, open and accepting connections. When you mention the green button (etc) is visible when the connection is "active", do you mean when a d/l or u/l is in progress ?  OR when the port is functioning/setup correctly ?    Thanks.. Des

Offline Ragwing

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #319 on: September 30, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »
Hi Ragwing,

thanks for taking the time to post your configuration rules on the site, its a big help to us without the experience or knowledge. Ive just clicked on your link but it just takes me to a non active page with the following written on it:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Missing port

You'll need to copy the address and exchange 0 for the port number you use. ;)

Ive just retried the speedguide test again, and it states my port is ok, open and accepting connections. When you mention the green button (etc) is visible when the connection is "active", do you mean when a d/l or u/l is in progress ?  OR when the port is functioning/setup correctly ?    Thanks.. Des

With active, I mean when a download or upload is in progress. If not, you won't see any icon, as µTorrent isn't receiving any incoming connections. ;)

Offline itsdesp

« Reply #320 on: September 30, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Ragwing,  it looks like i`m all set to go now.

Offline Metalfyre

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #321 on: October 06, 2008, 12:47:51 AM »
Hi, I have a question.

I made the rules according to the tutorial. But since there is 1 tracker that anounces on port 81, these rules block it:

Rule 2
Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP
Direction = Out
Description = Rule for outgoing TCP connections
Source Address = Any
Destination Address = Any
Source port = A port range = (start port = 1025 / end port = 65535)
Destination port = A port range = (start port = 1025 / end port = 65535)

Rule 3
Action = Allow
Protocol = UDP
Direction = Out
Description = Rule for outgoing UDP connections
Source Address = Any
Source port = the port of utorrent

So I made 2 exactly the same rules but altered the destination ports to start:81 end 82. However when I apply these rules it says these rules already exist (I say yes anyway).
My question is now will the ports until port 81 and after 82 til 1025 still be blocked? Maybe a silly question, but I like to know nonetheless :P

Offline Dexter_prog

« Reply #322 on: October 24, 2008, 04:51:02 PM »
Hey, I followed the tutorial but there seems to be something wrong. I get as a tracker status "hostname not found" and "offline (timed out)." What could be happening?

edit: I found out that if I delete the only blocking rule (the IP one) I don't get this errors :/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:50:19 PM by Dexter_prog »

Offline Amadaemon

• By Appointment
« Reply #323 on: November 01, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »
How to configure Comodo firewall 3 for utorrent.

1. Go to : Firewall -> Advanced -> Attack Detection Settings -> Miscellanous and disable  Do Protocol analysis

2. Go to : Firewall -> Advanced -> Predifined Firewall Policies and select Add...

Give a name at the new Predefined Policy for example: utorrent

Add the following rules:

Rule 1
Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP or UDP
Direction = In
Description = Rule for incoming TCP and UDP connections
Source Address = Any
Destination port = the port of utorrent

Rule 2
Action = Allow
Protocol = TCP
Direction = Out
Description = Rule for outgoing TCP connections
Source Address = Any

Rule 3
Action = Allow
Protocol = UDP
Direction = Out
Description = Rule for outgoing UDP connections
Source Address = Any
Source port = the port of utorrent

Rule 4
Action = Ask (enable Log as a firewall event if this rule is fired)
Protocol = TCP
Direction = Out
Description = Rule for HTTP requests
Source Address = Any
Destination port = 80

Rule 5
Action = Block (enable Log as a firewall event if this rule is fired)
Protocol = IP
Direction = In/OUT
Description = Block and Log All Unmatching Requests
Source Address = Any
IP Details = Any

3. Start utorrent. When Comodo asks you with a popup, choose Treat this application as select utorrent and enable Remember my answer.

Have a nice file sharing. (:WIN)

Additional Notes

If you have connectivity problems:
Go at Firewall -> Common Tasks -> Stealth ports wizard and select
Alert me to incoming connections- stealth my ports on a per-case basis

Because of a bug you must change the rule 4 (for HTTP requests) to allow. I hope this will be resolved with the next updates.

Panagiotis

If you have a router, you'll need to configure it for port forwarding:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

1. Choose your router model (if it's not in the list, choose one from the same company)
2. Select the software (in this case, uTorrent)
3. Now follow the steps in the guide

Tweak to increase download speed

Ragwing

If you have just a modem, you may need to add a rule (above the last block all) to allow outgoing DNS requests such as:

Action = Allow
Protocol = UDP
Direction = Out
Description = Allow Outgoing DNS
Source Address = Any
Destination Address = Any (or your ISP's DNS server for extra security)
Source port = Any
Destination port = 53

Soyabeaner

This to me is a long road for a shortcut. My method is to make Utorrent a Trusted Application.
I, Utorrent only uses one port at any time but only if its working.
2, If its closed so is the port
3, Anyone who wishes to use Random Port selection can do so without trouble.
Try it for yourself, run a test at  https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 with Utorrent running/stopped. (:NRD)
If its not broken dont 'fix' it

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #324 on: November 01, 2008, 11:48:30 PM »
This to me is a long road for a shortcut. My method is to make Utorrent a Trusted Application.
Hi Amadaemon,

It was explained several times here why it is not recommended making uTorrent or any P2P App. Trusted.

Therefore those excellent and helpful instructions were published.

As for the port - yes, uTorrent uses 1 you should forward it. KCeasy uses several.
You should forward those... and if we paranoid enough we may delete port forwarded from modem settings after finishing torrent session. Plus you should use IP filtering... and so on...

My regards
Main OS - Ubuntu
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), Admin; Comodo Firewall 3.14.130099.587; Proactive with Defense+; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 x64, Admin (UAC off); Win7 advanced FW +TinyWall; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 Ultimate 32bit (UAC off); Emsisoft Internet Security v9 beta

Offline bobsy852

« Reply #325 on: November 17, 2008, 06:00:54 PM »
i have just installed COMODO and had a fast connection with utorrent before i installed COMODO.
the ports for utorrent are forwarded on my router, and i have followed ur steps above to set up the predefined firewall policies but I am still getting very low download speeds. I am only getting about 7KB.sec at the most!

anyone know what the problem may be?  :(

(if it helps, i dont know if it's normal but ive had 15 intrustion attempts within the first hour of having COMODO, they all say they're for the application of Windows Operating System but they all list ports that utorrent would use)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:03:16 PM by bobsy852 »

Offline hey1982

« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »
hi everyone!!
i gt a problem,can't use comodo very well..
after havin made the rules...u open ur torrent then comodo askes us: treat this application as..i can choose:installer or updater,windows system application or isolated application..where can i choose utorrent??
pelase rply me as soon as possible

Offline Little Mac

• Forum Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The Colonel told me to.
« Reply #327 on: December 18, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »
hey1982,

You don't have to select one of those options ("treat as") - those apply a preset group of rules to the application which allow it certain activities and rights by default.  IF I were going to do that, I would probably choose "Isolated Application" so that it cannot make system changes; however, while that works nicely with browser and email client, that may not work so well w/p2p app.

You always have the option to respond to each popup w/Allow or Deny, and can create rules by checking the "remember" box.  This will create a custom ruleset for that specific application wherein you allow it to do only what you want it to.

Hope that helps,

LM
These forums are focused on providing help and improvement for Comodo products.  Please treat other users with respect and make a positive contribution.  Thanks.
Forum Policy

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek