Author Topic: XP SP3 Prob?  (Read 15477 times)

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: XP SP3 Prob?
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2012, 04:53:31 AM »
Did you checked my post 2 post above where I have mentioned boo.ini of system & USB XP with which I installed XP.

There is a difference in both

System has rdisk(0) & USB has rdisk(1)

Should I try editing the system to 1 in both the places i.e default & the last line in boot.ini

They refer to different things. On a system such as yours, where Windows is installed in the default location, the value for rdisk will always be 0. The USB ARC path with rdisk(1) means XP is on a different disk on the first IDE controller, i.e. the USB drive.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline naren

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:48 AM »
There's not really many options left, you can try the following:

1. Delete the boot.ini file - As you're not dual booting and Windows is installed in the default location, you don't need boot.ini
2. Try running 'fixmbr\Device\HardDisk0' from the recovery console.
3. Reinstall...

Its not deleting from msconfig. Should I edit, delete & save?

First I will try the command you have mentioned.

I will have to think of reinstall as I guess reinstall may not solve the prob as the prob may lies with the combination install of winlite & wintoflash.

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2012, 05:52:09 AM »
The boot.ini file is generally read only. To delete it, select the properties of the file in Explorer and remove the RO attribute.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline naren

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2012, 05:52:47 AM »
What exactly I have to type as the command? I typed

fixmbr

It mentioned non-standard or invalid

Caution the partition table may corrupt

If no prob with the harddisk do not continue

Proceed y/n

Should I proceed?

Can it be invalid coz I made the USB XP again with the same setup of winlite & wintoflash that I used at the time of this XP install?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:59:58 AM by naren »

Offline naren

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2012, 07:15:04 AM »
OK I tried fixmbr & it mentioned completed successfully. The prob is still there. I again tried fixmbr & again it mentioned invalid & non-standard that means its not able to fix it.

After fixmbr mentions completed successfully I typed exit, do I need to type save to save the new mbr?

Nothing seems to be the solution.

I was thinking of something.

As CD drive is not working I was thinking of copying my genuine XP CD into USB & do a clean install or upgrade install from inside the system i.e from inside the running XP system. Is this possible & can solve the prob?

The system is currently upgraded to XP SP3.

What differences Clean & Upgrade install will have?

I have genuine XP SP2 CD.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:17:20 AM by naren »

Offline naren

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2012, 07:41:02 AM »
Strange, installed Comodo Time Machine Beta latest & the boot screen prob haven't occured again.

Its been 15-20 days.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek