Opera
Safari
Google Chrome
Orca
SeaMonkey
Avant
Netscape
Sleipnir

Author Topic: Web Browsers  (Read 51497 times)

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
  • I'm going to go out with a bang
Re: Web Browsers
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »
I don't like Opera because some most web-pages I use often don't display well in it.  :-\

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
I don't like Opera because some most web-pages I use often don't display well in it.  :-\

1) I wouldn't say most webpages.

2) I prefer thinking the other way around - I don't like webpages that don't display well. ;) After all, Opera just follows standards... better than all the others I think.

LA

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 09:12:47 PM »
1) I wouldn't say most webpages.

2) I prefer thinking the other way around - I don't like webpages that don't display well. ;) After all, Opera just follows standards... better than all the others I think.

LA

I said most webpages I use, not most webpages.

For me, I try to use the program that works best for me.  After comparing Opera and FF, FF fits my needs much better.  For example, my email website doesn't work well with Opera, but works almost perfect with FF.

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 09:17:12 PM »
Don't forget this trick

Does that really help a badly coded page to be diplayed correctly? I thought it just fooled pages that e.g. only give you permission to view them if you have IE. For example my internet bank says "your browser is not recommended", but I would probably get rid of that message if I chosed the "mask as IE option".

I said most webpages I use, not most webpages.

For me, I try to use the program that works best for me.  After comparing Opera and FF, FF fits my needs much better.  For example, my email website doesn't work well with Opera, but works almost perfect with FF.

Of course you should use the browser that fits you. ;)

LA

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 09:22:14 PM »

Of course you should use the browser that fits you. ;)

LA

Yep.  Do you know what the main two reasons are?:  1. I like foxes; 2. I like fire.   ^_^

Offline fazio93

• Comodo Volunteer
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »
Yep.  Do you know what the main two reasons are?:  1. I like foxes; 2. I like fire.   ^_^

Oooo...A pyro friend.  :)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CIS 5.12.256249.2599
Please remember to follow the Forum Policy.

Offline Kyle

• Computer Security Testing Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 11:28:41 PM »
Opera is just great out the box, I liked google Chrome when I tried it.. but there were a few things that wouldn't work correctly on some sites such as java plugins
Windows 7 x64
AMD FX 8120, 8gb ram, ATI 6870 1gb

Offline Japo

• Autonomous Human
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Life starts every day anew. Prospects not so good.
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 04:35:41 AM »
If you go to Favorites - Bookmarks, you will see reference to Firefox add-ons, in Opera, that is.

No you won't, unless you imported your old Firefox favourites into Opera. ;D
Windows users do not disable UAC

DarkButterfly

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 04:38:07 AM »
Opera is just great out the box, I liked google Chrome when I tried it.. but there were a few things that wouldn't work correctly on some sites such as java plugins

Indeed! Opera is just amazing. It is faster than any other browser that I have tried. More secure, right out of the box. Prettier, right out of the box. Damn it! I even made my owen security button (Thanks LA!!! You rock!!), which rocks! And will be digging a little further on the so many options we have to make customized buttons. It is just amazing.

Firefox, for example, is a safe browser, but, I think that to make it, at least, at the same level of Opera, we need to add a few security add-ons, such as ad-blockplus, noscript (I now can block all javascript with a button for all sites and just allow then per a basis site!! Thanks again, LA!!! ;) ), etc...

About Google Chrome, I never tested it and never plan to, but I saw some news that Google is trying to "pressure" OEMs to include it on their machines!!! Damn it! One more junk we got to uninstall...

DarkButterfly

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 04:39:57 AM »
No you won't, unless you imported your old Firefox favourites into Opera. ;D

But I didn't! Thats what's odd!  :o  ???  88)

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »
DarkButterfly, just glad to help out! :Beer

In case anyone wonders what we're talking about: I made a custom Opera button which lets the user switch on/off JavaScript, Plugins, Cookies etc. - all with just one button easy to reach. If anyone is interested in adding this button to your Opera GUI, I guess I can find somewhere how I did it... ;)

LA

Offline LeoniAquila

• Retired moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »
I decided to look for the enable/disable Java, JavaScript, Plugins and Cookies Button. :)

1. Go to the Button Maker.
2. Ignore "Choose the button's action:".
3. In "OR just write the action as plain text:", paste this: Disable Java & Disable JavaScript & Disable Plugins & Disable Cookies | Enable Java & Enable JavaScript & Enable Plugins & Enable Cookies
4. Chose a name in "Enter the button's title (optional, but recommended)". I chosed simply SS which means Super Security.

LA

DarkButterfly

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »
This post isn't quite for a vote, for you guys already know I'm in "love" with Opera, but I want to ask, if any of you guys use it, what do you think of IE8 Beta2? I mean, if it is stable already. I know it has a privacy feature included.

I ask this, because, although, I use Opera, some of my relatives still use IE (IE7), which is very well secured by me :D, and I was wondering if updating to IE8 at this stage would be a "suicide" or not. I know that people had some problems with the first beta, such as some sites not displaying well.

Hope any of you guys can give me a hint on it... Thanks!

Offline LaserWraith

• pillow fighting fool
  • Usability Study Member
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 06:49:51 PM »
This post isn't quite for a vote, for you guys already know I'm in "love" with Opera, but I want to ask, if any of you guys use it, what do you think of IE8 Beta2? I mean, if it is stable already. I know it has a privacy feature included.

I ask this, because, although, I use Opera, some of my relatives still use IE (IE7), which is very well secured by me :D, and I was wondering if updating to IE8 at this stage would be a "suicide" or not. I know that people had some problems with the first beta, such as some sites not displaying well.

Hope any of you guys can give me a hint on it... Thanks!

It might (and probably is) because my system is pretty messed up, but IE8 crashed whenever I pasted something into the address bar.  :-\  Never used it again.

Offline Japo

• Autonomous Human
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Life starts every day anew. Prospects not so good.
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2008, 08:40:07 AM »

I haven't tested v8 (I don't do any beta testing usually), anyway as for installing it for others that just want the thing do its thing, I'd always wait until it's out of beta. It's another thing if you wanted to beta test it yourself.

But what about v8's CSS support, is it moving toward fulfilling the promises?
Windows users do not disable UAC

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek