Author Topic: Searching references to myself: Why doesn't it work?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline canolradd

• Comodo Member
Searching references to myself: Why doesn't it work?
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
Some times I need to find posts that refer to myself (canolradd) in the texts, even if they are not direct replies to me. Searching for "canolradd" usually gives me nothing at all or, at most, too few posts (1 or 2). Why that?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:42:17 PM by canolradd »
Best regards,

canolradd.

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
Re: Searching references to myself: Why doesn't it works?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:53:46 AM »
Hi canolradd,
Using the standard search, searches for the keyword within the topic title only (Screenshot).
Using the search button from the top of the Forum page searches for the keyword within the topic title as well as within the posts.
Alternative use advanced search to search for the keyword, or keyword by a specific user within the topic title as well as within the posts (Screenshot).

If you are just looking for your own posts, go to your profile and click on show posts in your profile info.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:56:18 AM by captainsticks »
A good read guaranteed.
Forum Policy - Updated on January 3, 2013
PrivDog: The Dog that not only barks at uninvited guests, but rather destroys the intruder.

Offline canolradd

• Comodo Member
Re: Searching references to myself: Why doesn't it work?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
Hi, captainsticks!

Indeed I've seen that the issue is not limited to my user name. It applies to anything I try to find.

I've tried your suggestion, but it doesn't help too much. For instance, searching for "canolradd" gives me only two(!) posts (see screenshot), despite this term is present in some dozen posts only in the "Submit applications..." topic.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:42:40 PM by canolradd »
Best regards,

canolradd.

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
Hi canolradd,
Sorry I should have explained that the keyword results will only show the final result in any given topic.
For example: If you search your username as the keyword now, the last post with the keyword in this topic should show in the results but not the posts above.
I hope that makes sense and explains your lack of results findings better.
Edit: Re-worded example above.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:51:28 PM by captainsticks »
A good read guaranteed.
PrivDog: The Dog that not only barks at uninvited guests, but rather destroys the intruder.

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »
Hi canolradd,

What captainsticks suggested is correct and it does work in both cases (search by context & going to profile where you can see all your posts  
... because initial request by you was
... refer to myself (canolradd) in the texts...
(highlighted is important)

And indeed when I search here there will be just two as depicted in the image you've posted
because there is either a quote (by you) that somebody posted or  it is something like "hello canolradd" :)
Those are within the body of the message or reply to you

Say I found your post in  "Submit applications..." as you mentioned ,  but your nickname is not present inside the message. The name at the right (poster name) does not matter in this case according to your criteria

Another point in order to search: see advanced search ; fill in "by user:" - your nickname
but in this case you need to fill in the text (specific word/phrase/ or, again your nick :) as you requested)  in "Search for:" (highlighted in captain's post)

Hope that helps

Cheers!
Main OS - Ubuntu
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), Admin; Comodo Firewall 3.14.130099.587; Proactive with Defense+; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 x64, Admin (UAC off); Win7 advanced FW +TinyWall; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 Ultimate 32bit (UAC off); Emsisoft Internet Security v9 beta

Offline canolradd

• Comodo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
Thanks guys, it is now clear. But a question remains: isn't there a way of getting *all* posts that have a keyword in a given topic? "Submit applications...", for instance, is huge, and finding the last reference to whatever I'm looking for doesn't help that much. :-(
Best regards,

canolradd.

Offline Dennis2

• Awaiting Admin Approval Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
Try this in whatever you normally use to search the internet with.

canolradd  "Submit Applications Here To Be Whitelisted - 2012"
Moderator: Aims Forum a friendly place. Any concerns? Please PM me and/or review the Forum Policy 2012Updated.
System:Windows 7 SP1(UAC)x32,LUA, CIS7.0.4132Upgrade,Sandboxie4.08
Vista Home P.(UAC)x32 SP2, LUA, CIS.7.0.4132

Offline captainsticks

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Comodo Help
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 05:19:50 PM »
Thanks guys, it is now clear.
You are welcome.
But a question remains: isn't there a way of getting *all* posts that have a keyword in a given topic?
I don't know of a way using forum search, but the method posted above by Dennis works well (Thanks Dennis).
A good read guaranteed.

Offline SiberLynx

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
I don't know of a way using forum search, but the method posted above by Dennis works well (Thanks Dennis).
Indeed
Forum Search will not do that, but as depicted below (attached) Dennis's "trick"  :) gives correct results as I can see

Cheers!
Main OS - Ubuntu
XP Pro, SP3 (32bit), Admin; Comodo Firewall 3.14.130099.587; Proactive with Defense+; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 x64, Admin (UAC off); Win7 advanced FW +TinyWall; Emsisoft Anti-Malware v9; Sandboxie
Win 7 Ultimate 32bit (UAC off); Emsisoft Internet Security v9 beta

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek