Author Topic: HTTP, HTTPS and FTP port firewall settings  (Read 8823 times)

Offline tim112

HTTP, HTTPS and FTP port firewall settings
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:03:16 AM »
Hi,

I have been having problems connecting to the internet so I ran a Windows diagnostic tool and a message came up saying that I need to check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80). HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21).   I am running Windows XP Home edition, 32 bit, service pack 3.
How do I do check the firewall settings for the above ports please?

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: HTTP, HTTPS and FTP port firewall settings
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »
Can you tell us more about how you connect to the internet? What connection are you using: dial up, cable, ADSL, satellite..etc...? Is there is router in your network setup? Are you using a wired or wireless connection to connect to the modem or router?

What are the problems you are experiencing when trying to connect to the web. Are there error message from Windows?

Offline tim112

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »
Hi Eric,
I am using a ADSL2plus connection with a wireless router. The message I keep getting is:

The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
          moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Please try again

Then when I click on try again it connects ok.

I don't know if this is anything to do with Firefox because like I said before when I ran the diagnostics tool it said check your firewall settings. I hope this helps.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
Can you test connecting the computer to the router by wire? Does the same thing happen?

When the same thing happens. Can you post screenshots of the Firewall logs and Global Rules? Firewall logs are under Firewall --> Common Tasks --> View Firewall Alerts. Global Rules are under Firewall --> Advanced --> Network Security Policy --> Global Rules.  Also see if the logs of your router report anything unusual.

When the same does not happen again then there may be something going on with your wireless connection. Try updating the wireless card's drivers.

Offline tim112

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 06:44:21 PM »
I am sorry I but I don't know how to connect the computer by wire or post screenshots. Please advise how I can do this.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »
Usually with your modem or router you get a network, also called UTP, cable. It looks as on one of these pictures.

When you don't have network cable present now make sure to post the Global Rules and Firewall logs.

How to post a screenshot?

To copy a screenshot of the active window push alt+print screen to copy the active window to the clipboard (pushing print screen will copy the complete window to the clipboard not just the active window). The window is now copied to the clipboard.  Paste the image in any image editing program, Paint, Paint.net, the Gimp etc, and save the file as 32 bits png image.

At the forum push the reply button. Or when using the Quick reply type some text and push the preview button.

Underneath the text box click on Additional options. Push the Choose button and navigate to the file and select it. When you want to post more images click on the more attachments link.

When done typing push the Post or Preview button.

Offline tim112

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 03:36:46 AM »
Hi sorry for late reply. I forgot to mention my router is connected by an ethernet cable even though it is a wireless router. Here are the screenshots.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:51:18 AM by tim112 »

Offline tim112

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »
Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
At first sight I don't see anything out of the ordinary in your firewall logs. Does the problem also occur  with another browser like Internet Explorer. Try deleting FF cache and cookies and restart it and see if that helps or not.

Are you able to surf at all or is this problem intermittent?

Offline tim112

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 06:00:10 AM »
It fails to connect to Internet Explorer first time but then when I try again it connects like it does with Firefox.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek