Author Topic: Would it be possible to port forward a socks port in CIS?  (Read 5808 times)

Offline php111

• Comodo Family Member
Would it be possible to port forward a socks port in CIS?
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »
Hey everyone,

I asked these questions over at the Yahoo! answers, but I have received no answers. Please move my thread if needs, but please advice of where the thread should go. I am going to do a copy/paste. Do we have any experts with using proxies using CIS with uTorrent?

I have some questions. I am a torrent user. I'm looking for info on all of questions.

1.) Would it be a good idea to use a socks5 proxy in the uTorrent client?

2.) Should I disable DHT, or should I leave it enabled? If I have too disable it for a proxy to work, how do I disable it?

3.) What boxes for both should I tick off, and what boxes should I untick? My guess was only to tick off the peer to peer exchange under the connection tab, but leave everything else on default?

4.) I know I have to do a port forwarding. I am using Comodo firewall (free). Should I port forward the proxy port into the firewall, but don't forward the random port?

5.) this is the proxy site I have. It's megasocks.blogspot.com. Are they both encrypted proxies, and connectable proxies?

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Would it be possible to port forward a socks port in CIS?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »

1.) Would it be a good idea to use a socks5 proxy in the uTorrent client?

If you're looking for anonymity and a quality service, you really need to think about paying for it. If you're going to pay for such a service you should consider a VPN, but make sure it's of the OpenVPN variety, not pptp.

2.) Should I disable DHT, or should I leave it enabled? If I have too disable it for a proxy to work, how do I disable it?

Later versions of uTorrent are supposed to support UDP via proxy, but I've heard mixed reports about it's effectiveness. Personally, I'd disable DHT and peer exchange. You also need to make sure the proxy server has UDP support.

3.) What boxes for both should I tick off, and what boxes should I untick? My guess was only to tick off the peer to peer exchange under the connection tab, but leave everything else on default?

See image.

4.) I know I have to do a port forwarding. I am using Comodo firewall (free). Should I port forward the proxy port into the firewall, but don't forward the random port?

Use fixed ports and, if necessary, create Global firewall rules to forward the ports to the utorrent application. This is in addition to creating application rules.

5.) this is the proxy site I have. It's megasocks.blogspot.com. Are they both encrypted proxies, and connectable proxies?

You'll need to ask. The chances are, for a free service, it won't be encrypted. if you want encryption, you'll need to use something like an SSH tunnel to the proxy server.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline php111

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »
Thank you for the info! I'm on a disabled fixed income, and it's hard for me to pay. Honestly, I live in a group home, and they hold my finances. They would need to give me the money. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling them what I'm doing.

What other options are there? I would like to still use the torrents even after a decision has been made.

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any free services that can be used with bittorent, that's not to say they don't exist. Perhaps someone else may know.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline php111

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »
I haven't received anymore new replies to this thread.

I have a couple of socks proxy links. The two that comes to mind are megasocks.blogspot.com, and socks24.org. I have more links then that. Someone told me on another forum that they are not connectable proxies. Would he be right? How do I make those connect?

Offline php111

• Comodo Family Member

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to by "connectible"?

Offline php111

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
Sorry I just sent you a PM.

I believe what I mean is connectable by I can't connect to any peers/seeds, so the connection to the proxy fails with a timeout.

Would it be possible, so it could connect without any errors?

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »
Sorry I just sent you a PM.

I believe what I mean is connectable by I can't connect to any peers/seeds, so the connection to the proxy fails with a timeout.

Would it be possible, so it could connect without any errors?

If you're not sure how to use a proxy, you'll need to search for a tutorial elsewhere. As far as configuring utorrent is concerned, you can use the tutorial here Just substitute the proxy settings from the image I posted above. Of course, this assumes the proxy servers you've chosen are actually alive. For that you can use something like Charon or Socks Proxy Checker
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:32:32 PM by Radaghast »

Offline php111

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 05:09:56 PM »
You are the best! Your links didn't work, but I went to Google by searching for Charon.

I don't understand how people could be so mean by posting those links to me when they are bad proxies. I am disabled, and I don't like that.

It's scanning for sites without those links above.

If we had a "thanks" system here then I'll send you a couple. I'm thankful that the FBI wasn't at my door.

I'm not even sure what's my next step, or even that it gives me the info to enter in uTorrent? That might be why it wasn't working for me cuz they were bad?

Thank you again!

I'll wait for your reply. I hope you didn't mind my kind words?

If you're not sure how to use a proxy, you'll need to search for a tutorial elsewhere. As far as configuring utorrent is concerned, you can use the tutorial here Just substitute the proxy settings from the image I posted above. Of course, this assumes the proxy servers you've chosen are actually alive. For that you can use something like Charon or Socks Proxy Checker

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 05:54:32 PM »
Apologies for the links, they were working when I posted. I updated the Charon link but socksproxychecker.com seems to be having problems at the moment. You can always get it from here but it is pay software, so you're probably better off with Charon.

As far as your next step, once Charon has finished checking the status and anonymity of your proxy list, you should be able to try one or two in utorrent. One problem you're going to face, is the constant changing of port, unless you always try to find proxies with the same port.

I did  quick search and found this How To Anonymize and Encrypt Your BitTorrent Traffic maybe it will help.

For testing your utorrent connection in the firewall, it may be easier creating some very generic rules, such as:

Allow TCP or UDP In/Out Any

Also when testing, make sure you don't have a Global firewall rule that blocks IP In, which is a default in some configurations.

Offline php111

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »
1.) There is no way to get a proxy with Charon, so I won't have to constantly change it?

2.) under global rules, should I remove all of the block rules there is?

3.) using the configuration tutorial you gave me, where it says my uTorrent port which is the random port, should I specify the proxy port? Assuming the proxy port is 80, do I forward port 80 into the firewall?

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 07:40:46 PM »
1.) There is no way to get a proxy with Charon, so I won't have to constantly change it?

I'm sorry, I don't understand?

2.) under global rules, should I remove all of the block rules there is?

It sounds like you have the generic ICMP block rules, if so, you can leave them. You only need to remove a rule that says Block IP In Any, and then only for testing.

3.) using the configuration tutorial you gave me, where it says my uTorrent port which is the random port, should I specify the proxy port? Assuming the proxy port is 80, do I forward port 80 into the firewall?

See the image I posted earlier regarding proxy configuration.

Offline php111

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:55:18 PM »

As far as your next step, once Charon has finished checking the status and anonymity of your proxy list, you should be able to try one or two in utorrent. One problem you're going to face, is the constant changing of port, unless you always try to find proxies with the same port.
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to split quotes. If your a mod then maybe you can modify my post?

With your quote above. I would need to constantly keep changing the port in uTorrent? I was asking does Charon have proxies, so I won't need to keep changing the proxy port?
[/quote]

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 10:36:37 PM »

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to split quotes. If your a mod then maybe you can modify my post?

With your quote above. I would need to constantly keep changing the port in uTorrent? I was asking does Charon have proxies, so I won't need to keep changing the proxy port?

Charon is a proxy checker. Once you've finished checking your list of proxies for status, country, anonymity etc., you'll be left with a number of 'working' proxies. From this list you can choose one you wish to use for utorrent, however, when the proxy dies, you'll have to choose another. Each time you use a new proxy, unless it uses the same port, you'll have to change the configuration in utorrent and possibly, depending on your settings, the firewall.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek