When firewall on, will not connect to the internet.

Hi there,

I have the Comodo Internet Security (version: 8.2.0.4674 - Database version:23152).
I’m using Windows 10 (64-Bit). In the last few days, if the firewall is on (mostly on defaults), it does not connect to the web.
I have to manually disable the firewall altogether, and then after a few seconds, it will connect. Once connected through that method, I can re-enable
the firewall, and the connection stays alive. If i keep it on while rebooting, same happens, no connection.

I’ve already made sure that all my networks are tweaked to “Private network” by default, regardless if it’s on the identifying network stage/Unidentified network stage/Network (default or otherwise Identified).

I just bought a wireless USB key (I use a desktop, not a lappy/notebook), and if I use that on boot, then again, the connection stays when I plug it out, after it was recognized once.
Built-in diagnostics, revealed no problems. Also note that I replaced the entire motherboard (but used the same installed OS, no clean install - but that shouldn’t really have any relation to CIS, as stated already, If I turn it off, after a few sec it gets the connection and then i can turn it back on - annoying repeatable task.
I’ve added snapshots/pic of the firewall configurations, zipped, for extra info, just in case. I’m just wondering if i should “live” with that until i had enough or if there’s a “quick” fix/workaround.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

With Utmost Respect,
Me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Did you have other security programs installed in the past? If so remove possible left overs of them. A list of removal tools can be found here: [KB146] Uninstallers (removal tools) for common Windows antivirus software .

Do you have other security programs installed that run along CIS? Change the block all rule at the bottom of Global Rules to also log that way me may be able to see what is happening.

Thank you for your rapid reply…

I have a few other programs running alongside (mostly just anti spywares). HOWEVER, none of which, has a built in firewall that can conflict.
I again verified… if I disable the firewall altogether, for whatever time it gives (15/30/60 min), I have connection, and when rebooting, i still have connection fine prior to desktop login. If i leave it enabled, i get the yellow exclamation sign on the network icon, with no web connection.

If then I run the network repair wizard, it said no valid ip for the connection… and when I turn Comodo’s firewall off again, I gain back the connection (after which, once it already accepting the connection once, I can turn it back on without being disconnected…till next time).

I will try to use the steps recorder later if I reboot or tomorrow to add the screenshots of the exact network condition for each condition (firewall on/firewall off).

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

Can you tell which ones you use? It’s better to have a bit superfluous information than too little.

I again verified.... if I disable the firewall altogether, for whatever time it gives (15/30/60 min), I have connection, and when rebooting, i still have connection fine prior to desktop login. If i leave it enabled, i get the yellow exclamation sign on the network icon, with no web connection.

If then I run the network repair wizard, it said no valid ip for the connection… and when I turn Comodo’s firewall off again, I gain back the connection (after which, once it already accepting the connection once, I can turn it back on without being disconnected…till next time).

I will try to use the steps recorder later if I reboot or tomorrow to add the screenshots of the exact network condition for each condition (firewall on/firewall off).

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

Can you post a screenshot of the Firewall logs of around the time the problem happens? What happens when you update the drivers of the network adapter? Does that make a difference?

Firewall logs (pic added), is empty. I do have the latest network adapter drivers as far as I know (I’ve installed them via different user, pic added) - that was done manually, not via the update drivers through device manager but downloading the entire package for the adapter and installing as admin.

I’ve also made it to show hidden devices on the pic I took.

Now AFTER I get the connection i can disable/enable at will, won’t matter, connection stays. but if it’s turned on and I reboot or disable network adapter and re-enable it, i still won’t get my connection back.

I might try to upload a “problems recorder” large snap that will show every tick I make for visual purposes (if i can).

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

Can you change the block rule at the bottom of Global Rules to block and log. The Firewall logs will then show activity that might hold a clue.

Done as requested.

1. Pics for the updated Comodo Firewall Events added.
  2. Pics for Windows Firewall for inbound and outbound have been added.
  3. Pics of Comodo info in Windows Events Logs added

I thank you kindly for everything you’re doing so far and for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

Are you using Windows firewall at the same time as CIS?

Windows Firewall seems to be enabled. However, I’ve never changed it, and it worked well so far, and I’ve been using Comodo for years now.
But, Regardless, if it’s enabled or not, if I do disable Comodo’s firewall, I get the connection, once I enable it (prior to reboot), I do not… Maybe the firewall is doing its job “too well”? (I did add those pictures of both Windows firewall, Windows Events and Comodo’s Firewall events, which now also shows the possible blocking of my ISP IP / My IP in the last reply as requested.

I’m opened for suggestions.

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

Please disable Windows Firewall and see if that makes a difference or not.

Sorry EricJH, That did not make any changes. Quick “visual” would be, if the Comodo’s firewall is NOT disabled prior to restarting, then:

1: “Network Unidentified” on the change adapter settings window (same on Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center)
2. No connection on the left click on the taskbar network icon.
3. Change adapter settings Window, from the taskbar icon, When clicking on the specific Ethernet connection, is inaccessible due to no permissions.

Once I Disable Comodo’s Firewall (Regardless if Windows firewall was on) about 2-3 seconds after (even if re-enabled after those 2-3 sec’s):

1. Network” on the change adapter settings window (has connection).
  2. Private Network” in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center.
  3. connection on the left click on the taskbar network icon and Change adapter settings Window, from the taskbar icon, is accessible, full permissions applies.

** If i disable Comodo’s Firewall, for like 15 min on its options, and then shut down while it still disabled, Once I Turn it back on (whenever), I still retain connection, even if it shows as initially enabled.

So far I have tried almost everything, I think, without a total removal and cleanup of Comodo’s Internet Security in favor of a Re-install (Which I’m really trying to avoid at all costs cause it’s too much work).

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

Please change the block rule at the bottom of Global Rules to block and log. This will have the firewall start logging. Please show a screenshot of the Firewall logs of around the time the problem happens. I want to see if there are clues in the logs or not.

I zipped the updated firewall logs file. It did show blocked IP’s/firewall events now.

The IP there, with the red mark (the culprit), is the one being blocked, effectively killing my connection,
until I disable the firewall for a few seconds. ARP, which by default, is NOT enabled, is also manually, by choice, enabled now, but that is long after the
problem had occurred. My apologies in advance for taking so much of your time and my ongoing thanks for your efforts in trying to resolve my issue.

The .HTML / .HTM file, also contains blocked and “Destination unreachable” (Separate Zipped file), when it comes to my blocked IP which causes a lost connection.
Also Added the Comodo’s Network Zones too, just in case.
Patiently waiting for suggestion.

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

Can you tell me how you connect to the web? The logs tell you are connected directly to a modem without a router present. The networkzones also indicate the computer is or has been connected to a router.

Can you try disabling ARP cache filtering? When you are connecting directly to ur IPS with just a modem (no router present) that is not needed.

ARP is now disabled. I connect via a modem, which in turn also connected to a router (I only take a dedicated web driven phone line from the router,
but physically, I connected the modem itself to the computer, not the router).

Some of the network zones (including, (but not limited to) the ipv6 addresses, for example, were added manually by me, in an effort to resolve
the issue - with no success as of yet).

Once rebooted (leaving firewall on to check if it retains connection), I will edit this post to include the findings… which will most likely be posted
tomorrow.

Thank you for not giving up on me yet.

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

What I am not understanding is that both your computer and router are both directly connected to the modem. Can you make an image of your network set up? That is easier than asking questions.

Done as requested, Also had program update, which ended successfully.
two zipped pics showing the current configuration/ and a network “map”.

While the global rules, by default, has a block and log IP from any MAC to any MAC, I’ll add to the default network zones, a
rule, to accept “any address” for all MACs…

Once/whenever rebooted, will see if it changed anything and update here.

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

I am wondering what the IP address is you are getting the incoming traffic from. Can you open the command prompt as administrator and execute tracert comodo.com ? I want to see if that address is part of the route.

As per your request… 1 Pic. Zipped.

With Utmost Respect,

Kind Regards,
Me.

Thank you for the traceroute results. It is confusing me that the first hop is an IP address in a local range (10 range). Can you send by pm the data Netsetman retrieved from your Ethernet network adapter?