Author Topic: What is 192.168.250.1?  (Read 10918 times)

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: What is 192.168.250.1?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 02:04:32 AM »
I have noticed a new thing:

That message pops up every time when I open the Windows Network dialogue box (Open "Computer", on the left pane click on Network, and then it lists all network devices on your network, during this time the message would appear).

Do you see anything apart from your computer/router in the network display? Have you tried changing the wireless channel?
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 02:24:14 AM »
Do you see anything apart from your computer/router in the network display? Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

I see two routers on the network, both with the same model number. One is called 2740B, which appears not to be connected (when you doubleclick on it it tells you to enter a password); the other is named DSL2740B adsl router, which is my router.

While it seems a bit strange, I know the "2740B" router is actually also my router as the model is exactly the same. This has been so for over a year now (though I have been thinking why it is like that).

Lastly, what do you mean by changing the wireless channel?

Thanks.

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »
I see two routers on the network, both with the same model number. One is called 2740B, which appears not to be connected (when you doubleclick on it it tells you to enter a password); the other is named DSL2740B adsl router, which is my router.

While it seems a bit strange, I know the "2740B" router is actually also my router as the model is exactly the same. This has been so for over a year now (though I have been thinking why it is like that).

That seems a bit odd, I'd certainly investigate...

Lastly, what do you mean by changing the wireless channel?

If, as I'm guessing, you're picking up a signal from a nearby wireless network, you can change the frequency your network uses to something different. It's probably also worth changing the SSID. Check your router wireless Setup page.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 02:58:31 AM »
I have not heard from Ronny since sending the PM?

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 03:39:08 AM »
Have you tried the things I've suggested?

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »
Have you tried the things I've suggested?

Yes. The result is still the same. I have done a Google search for that IP address and some say this is actually a private IP (rather than WAN IP). So I guess it is from the router itself? Is it safe to just check "remember my answer" and click on Allow?

Anyways, I am still a bit concerned about that as this has never happened before.

On another note, the "two router" situation in the Network is only present when I am using WLAN. It does not occur when I am using Ethernet connection.

Also, one day ago CIS is popping up another message. It is almost the same as the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread, but the IP address is the exact address of my WAN IP.

So what is going on?

Radaghast should be an IP expert LOL

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »
Open the command prompt and run
Code: [Select]
ipconfig and let us know what the gateway address of your connection is and the internal IP address of your wireless network adapter is.

When you changed the SSID of your connection what SSID was shown by the router with IP address 192.168.250.1?

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »
Open the command prompt and run
Code: [Select]
ipconfig and let us know what the gateway address of your connection is and the internal IP address of your wireless network adapter is.

When you changed the SSID of your connection what SSID was shown by the router with IP address 192.168.250.1?

Thanks.

Gateway is 192.168.1.1
WLAN IP is 192.168.1.2

Sorry I am not very sure what you meant by "When you changed the SSID of your connection what SSID was shown by the router with IP address 192.168.250.1?"

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
Thanks.

Gateway is 192.168.1.1
WLAN IP is 192.168.1.2

Sorry I am not very sure what you meant by "When you changed the SSID of your connection what SSID was shown by the router with IP address 192.168.250.1?"
That's what Radaghast suggested in the above:
That seems a bit odd, I'd certainly investigate...

If, as I'm guessing, you're picking up a signal from a nearby wireless network, you can change the frequency your network uses to something different. It's probably also worth changing the SSID. Check your router wireless Setup page.
He wanted to see if the two SSID's you see are from two different routers or not.

Offline Ronny

• Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Volunteer Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »
His subnet is /24 so this traffic can only be useful if it's routed over his WAN interface towards his WLAN interface and back suggesting 'the provider' WAN side is allowing RFC 1918 ranges on the wrong side of the wire. This tends to happen and is mostly seen on Cable provider networks where shared LAN's are used to WAN multiple users.

What is your WAN interface connected to and does the web-interface of your router show that IP address, any indication of 192.168. range used e.g. forwarded DNS address on the WAN settings etc?

Or do you perhaps use a PDA or some other device connected to your system every now and then?
Volunteer Moderator
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
As far as I remember the D-links support telnet management, so you could download something like PuTTY - no installation required - then:

1. Open putty
2. Select the telnet radio button
3. Enter the IP address of your router (192.168.1.1)
4. Select Open
5. Enter your router login and password
6. at the prompt type ifconfig (not iPconfig)
7. Copy the output details and post them here...

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »
That's what Radaghast suggested in the above:He wanted to see if the two SSID's you see are from two different routers or not.

After changing the SSID, the network section in Computer does not change. As I stated earlier, the two "SSID"s are actually router model numbers (one is "2740B" and the other is "DSL-2740B adsl router"). If I turn off the WLAN switch on my router, both "SSID"s disappear simultaneously. If I connect to the router via Ethernet, only the latter shows up.

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »
Yes. The result is still the same.

To confirm. In the router interface, you changed the values I highlighted in the image above and made sure the changes were picked up by the wireless adapter in your PC?

I have done a Google search for that IP address and some say this is actually a private IP (rather than WAN IP).

It is a reserved (private) address

So I guess it is from the router itself?

Unless your router is allocating two separate network blocks, It's coming from somewhere else.

Is it safe to just check "remember my answer" and click on Allow?

I wouldn't, at least until you understand where it's coming from.

Anyways, I am still a bit concerned about that as this has never happened before.

Another good reason for not simply allowing it

On another note, the "two router" situation in the Network is only present when I am using WLAN. It does not occur when I am using Ethernet connection.

Can you confirm the SSID from the router.

Also, one day ago CIS is popping up another message. It is almost the same as the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread, but the IP address is the exact address of my WAN IP.

We'd need more information about the message. Does the address begin with 202.154?

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 01:14:02 AM »
As far as I remember the D-links support telnet management, so you could download something like PuTTY - no installation required - then:

1. Open putty
2. Select the telnet radio button
3. Enter the IP address of your router (192.168.1.1)
4. Select Open
5. Enter your router login and password
6. at the prompt type ifconfig (not iPconfig)
7. Copy the output details and post them here...

I have tried using putty, but unfortunately every time when I click Open, a black box appears with a green cursor (somewhat similar to CMD except for the cursor color). Immediately after this, Windows produces a "warning" sound (the system sound similar to that of an "error" -- "Bang!"), than the whole program closes.

Is it because my system is x64 and not x86???

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 01:17:05 AM »
To confirm. In the router interface, you changed the values I highlighted in the image above and made sure the changes were picked up by the wireless adapter in your PC?

It is a reserved (private) address

Unless your router is allocating two separate network blocks, It's coming from somewhere else.

I wouldn't, at least until you understand where it's coming from.

Another good reason for not simply allowing it

Can you confirm the SSID from the router.

We'd need more information about the message. Does the address begin with 202.154?

To confirm. In the router interface, you changed the values I highlighted in the image above and made sure the changes were picked up by the wireless adapter in your PC? YES.

Can you confirm the SSID from the router. YES.

Does the address begin with 202.154? YES. I have tried directly entering that IP into my browser, and it opens the configuration page of my router (similar to 192.168.1.1).

Thanks.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek