Author Topic: Utorrent problems  (Read 25007 times)

Offline dazed1

• Comodo Member
Re: Utorrent problems
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 03:56:34 AM »
So how to continue? what should i press when firewall aleart pop-up? threat as web browser? if i do this does  the rules starting to be ignored? or they still apply but Utorrent will be "scanned" like web browser, instead of Utorrent, and i get kind of different protection but yet, better then the default web browser settings in the firewall alert? what if i set trusted application (with rules applied)?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:02:25 AM by dazed1 »

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 07:42:56 AM »
Remember to remove any existing rules for uTorrent before using this guide

The following is a basic guide for configuring the Comodo firewall for use with a p2p client. In this case the client is uTorrent, however, the core steps outlined below will work for most p2p clients.

This guide assumes you have configured your p2p client to use a static port, in the case of utorrent, this can be done under Preferences/Connection. In this tutorial we've set the port to 64511.

Before starting on the configuration of your p2p client, it's worth making some small changes to the firewall. The two change we'll make will be configuring our firewall for stealth mode and ensuring no unwanted inbound traffic is allowed. It must be pointed out, however, that making these changes will also prevent inbound traffic to our p2p client, unless we make some rules to allow that traffic.

part One - Placing our firewall in stealth mode:

1. Open the main Comodo configuration window by clicking on the desktop icon or selecting the system tray icon
2. Select Network Security Policy
3. Select Stealth Ports Wizard
4. Select the second option 'Alert me to incoming connections and make my ports stealth on a per-case basis'
4. You will receive a message that your firewall has been configured.

Part Two - Preventing unwanted Inbound traffic:

1. Open the main Comodo configuration window by clicking on the desktop icon or selecting the system tray icon
3. Select Global rules
4. Select Add
5. Create a new rule:

Action - Block
Protocol - IP
Direction - IN
Source Address - ANY
Destination Address - ANY (Or your MAC address)
IP Details - ANY

6. select Apply

You may also choose to log blocked inbound connections, however, if you are not behind a router, this may cause a great many log entries.

This rule must be placed as the last rule in the list of Global rules, so use the Move up or Move down buttons to position the rule.

Having completed the basic preparation, we can now progress with the configuration of our p2p client.

There are several ways to arrive at our destination and the method I demonstrate here is but one way. Regardless of method you choose, the net result will be the same.

Part One - selecting the executable:

3. Select Application rules
4. Select Add
5. Click the Select button and select Browse
6. Navigate to the folder that contains your p2p client
7. Select the file and click Open

You will now see the Application has been populated with the path to your file.

Part Two - Creating the Application rules:

When creating rules, you may either create separate entries for TCP and UDP or you may combine them into a single entry. In this tutorial I have created a combined rule for simplicity.

1. In the Application Network Access Control dialogue box, select Add
2. First rule - TCP Out Port 80 This is for trackers.

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP
Direction - OUT
Source Address - ANY
Destination Address - ANY
Source Port - ANY
Destination Port - 80

3. The second rule is a combined TCP/UDP Out rule (servers a variety of purposes (transfers, udp trackers etc.)

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP or UDP
Direction - OUT
Source Address - ANY (You could also use your MAC address)
Source Port - A port range - 1024 to 65535 (this could also be set to ANY)
Destination Port - ANY

4. The third rule allows inbound connections so that others may find you and receive parts of the files you are sharing.

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP or UDP
Direction - IN
Source Address - ANY
Destination Address - ANY (may also be your MAC address)
Source Port - ANY  (This could also be a port range - 1024 to 65535)
Destination Port - (Your p2p port) In our case 64511

5. The last rule simply blocks anything we don't need.

Action - Block
Protocol - IP
Direction - OUT
Source Address - ANY (may also be your MAC address)
IP Details - ANY

That's all we need as far as Application rules are concerned, however, additional rules may be employed to cover Local Peer Discovery and possibly IPv6.

Part Three - Creating the Global rule:

In the earlier part of this tutorial we created a Global rule to block unwanted inbound traffic. In this section we'll create a rule that will allow our p2p traffic to reach our client.

3. Select Global rules
4. Select Add
5. Create the rule:

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP or UDP
Direction - IN
Source Address - ANY
Source Port - ANY (may also be a port range 1024 to 65535)
Destination Port - (your p2p port) In our case 64511

Place this rule above any block rules by using the Move up button.

That completes the firewall tutorial. Remember, if you are using a router, you will need to make sure the correct port is open to allow inbound p2p traffic. See the documentation or your router.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:12:59 AM by Radaghast »
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 12:15:37 PM »
Maybe I missed something, but where is uTorrent a 'pre-defined' rule, unless you create it?
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline BoredNow

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »
Maybe I missed something, but where is uTorrent a 'pre-defined' rule, unless you create it?

Yes, he used the Utorrent guide from "Pandlouk" where you create a predefined rule.

http://forums.comodo.com/guides-cis/firewall-tutorial-for-utorrent-with-comodo-internet-security-t15677.0.html

I'm going to delete my Utorrent "predefined rules" and try your method.
Thanks
HP pavilion media center 2006
Windows 7 64bit - Standard Acct.
EMET 3
CIS-5.10
Sandboxie 3.76

Offline dazed1

• Comodo Member
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 03:44:08 PM »
Thanks alot guys, but there is something strange going on...and i ended setting Utorrent as web browser, after many reinstalls, and time spent to fix after i followed your advices i gave up.

Thanks one more time you guys rox.

Offline dazed1

• Comodo Member
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »
I'm really greatful for your help and ideas but i really cant go on anymore, i already spent hours and hours and lost my nerves, and time (i'm busy also) sorry dude but i cant go on, thanks one more time, this forum has best members by far, all best dudes.

Offline Valentin N

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Usability Study Group
    • My homepage at the moment
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 07:49:04 AM »
If you have skype lets do it together :)

CEVPN: Valentin N

CIS 6.3

Keep CTM alive by voting

Offline ros1111

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »
/Sorry if my English isn't very well/

There are 2 questions about "CFP + uTorrent" - would anybody answer them?

1. What should I do to make uTorrent work properly in sandbox? - a torrent access error appears if uTorrent is run in sandbox.
2. Is there any need to make rules for applications placed in sandbox at all?

P.S. Windows XP Pro SP3
uTorrent supports UPnP and NAT-PMP as well as my WiFi-router does.
CFP
* Custom Policy
** Global Rules:
1) Allow TCP/UDP Incoming From Any To [uTorrent Port]
2) Block IP Incoming From Any To Any
*** Rules for uTorrent:
1) Allow TCP/UDP Outgoing From Any To Any
2) Allow TCP/UDP Incoming From Any To [uTorrent Port] - for elimination of unnecessary alerts

Defense+
* Clean PC Mode
** Sandbox - Enabled
- File System Virtualisation - Disabled

-- uTorrent is run as partially limited

Thanks

Offline scorpion555

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 06:58:53 AM »
Hey radaghast.. thanks for helping. i have problem, when i start utorrent after configuring as you mention in post Utorrent hangs when download started. do you have any solution for this. i am using belkin wifi modem router for internet connection. please reply as soon as possible. thank you.

Remember to remove any existing rules for uTorrent before using this guide

The following is a basic guide for configuring the Comodo firewall for use with a p2p client. In this case the client is uTorrent, however, the core steps outlined below will work for most p2p clients.

This guide assumes you have configured your p2p client to use a static port, in the case of utorrent, this can be done under Preferences/Connection. In this tutorial we've set the port to 64511.

Before starting on the configuration of your p2p client, it's worth making some small changes to the firewall. The two change we'll make will be configuring our firewall for stealth mode and ensuring no unwanted inbound traffic is allowed. It must be pointed out, however, that making these changes will also prevent inbound traffic to our p2p client, unless we make some rules to allow that traffic.

part One - Placing our firewall in stealth mode:

3. Select Stealth Ports Wizard
4. Select the second option 'Alert me to incoming connections and make my ports stealth on a per-case basis'
4. You will receive a message that your firewall has been configured.

Part Two - Preventing unwanted Inbound traffic:

3. Select Global rules
4. Select Add
5. Create a new rule:

Action - Block
Protocol - IP
Direction - IN
Source Address - ANY
Destination Address - ANY (Or your MAC address)
IP Details - ANY

6. select Apply

You may also choose to log blocked inbound connections, however, if you are not behind a router, this may cause a great many log entries.

This rule must be placed as the last rule in the list of Global rules, so use the Move up or Move down buttons to position the rule.

Having completed the basic preparation, we can now progress with the configuration of our p2p client.

There are several ways to arrive at our destination and the method I demonstrate here is but one way. Regardless of method you choose, the net result will be the same.

Part One - selecting the executable:

3. Select Application rules
4. Select Add
5. Click the Select button and select Browse
6. Navigate to the folder that contains your p2p client
7. Select the file and click Open

You will now see the Application has been populated with the path to your file.

Part Two - Creating the Application rules:

When creating rules, you may either create separate entries for TCP and UDP or you may combine them into a single entry. In this tutorial I have created a combined rule for simplicity.

1. In the Application Network Access Control dialogue box, select Add
2. First rule - TCP Out Port 80 This is for trackers.

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP
Direction - OUT
Source Address - ANY
Source Port - ANY
Destination Port - 80

3. The second rule is a combined TCP/UDP Out rule (servers a variety of purposes (transfers, udp trackers etc.)

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP or UDP
Direction - OUT
Source Address - ANY (You could also use your MAC address)
Source Port - A port range - 1024 to 65535 (this could also be set to ANY)
Destination Port - ANY

4. The third rule allows inbound connections so that others may find you and receive parts of the files you are sharing.

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP or UDP
Direction - IN
Source Address - ANY
Source Port - ANY
Destination Port - (Your p2p port) In our case 64511

5. The last rule simply blocks anything we don't need.

Action - Block
Protocol - IP
Direction - OUT
Source Address - ANY (may also be your MAC address)
IP Details - ANY

That's all we need as far as Application rules are concerned, however, additional rules may be employed to cover Local Peer Discovery and possibly IPv6.

Part Three - Creating the Global rule:

In the earlier part of this tutorial we created a Global rule to block unwanted inbound traffic. In this section we'll create a rule that will allow our p2p traffic to reach our client.

3. Select Global rules
4. Select Add
5. Create the rule:

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP or UDP
Direction - IN
Source Address - ANY
Source Port - ANY (may also be a port range 1024 to 65535)
Destination Port - (your p2p port) In our case 64511

Place this rule above any block rules by using the Move up button.

That completes the firewall tutorial. Remember, if you are using a router, you will need to make sure the correct port is open to allow inbound p2p traffic. See the documentation or your router.

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
Hey radaghast.. thanks for helping. i have problem, when i start utorrent after configuring as you mention in post Utorrent hangs when download started. do you have any solution for this. i am using belkin wifi modem router for internet connection. please reply as soon as possible. thank you.

When you say utorrent "hangs" can you be more specific please?

Offline scorpion555

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 05:36:59 AM »
thank you for reply. when i stated download in utorrent , utorrent stops responding. this is the problem/
When you say utorrent "hangs" can you be more specific please?

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »
thank you for reply. when i stated download in utorrent , utorrent stops responding. this is the problem/

I've not encountered this issue, does the problem persist if you disable CIS?

Offline scorpion555

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 08:35:12 AM »
yes, i checked after disable firewall and defence+. then also this utorrent stops responding when i start download. if no download is running in utorrent then utorrent works fine. please let me know i have formated 3 times whole c drive and reinstall again. but then also this problem occurs .

Thank you for kind help.

I've not encountered this issue, does the problem persist if you disable CIS?

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 02:38:02 PM »
A quick google search seems to indicate this is a common problem without a definitive solution. Are you using any additional security software?

https://encrypted.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&source=hp&q=utorrent+stops+responding&btnG=Search&oq=utorrent+stops+responding&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=0l0l0l362667l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0

It might be worth asking about this at the µTorrent Forums

Offline bulava

• Comodo Family Member
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
Hi Radaghast,

My firewall is configured almost similar to this guide except:

Allow IP Out rule:

a) Should I keep this rule or delete it  

b) Should I Block those ICMP rules or not

Thank you so much.

PS: my new thread:

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/is-my-firewall-foolproof-against-utorrent-t88461.0.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:10:06 AM by bulava »
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - late Ayrton Senna, greatest F1 driver

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek