Author Topic: Need Help [RESOLVED]  (Read 15143 times)

Offline Bad Frogger

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Need Help
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
re the stealth ports wizard.

From what I have experienced, read and understood.
The stealth ports isn't the problem, and the reason no one can help is there is nothing wrong
but your understanding of how it works.
And you say they can reproduce it, of course they can because their's works properly too.

Connect directly to modem,stealth ports,test at GRC.
All good right.

Now connect to router, BINGO new private network detected.

It's Not allowing or asking you to allow incoming connections.
It is just notifying you that the firewall has (at it clearly states) Detected a New or different
network on the line.

When your head is right things ain't so bad.
CIS    Firefox  NoScript  Please remember to follow The Forum Policy.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »
and that seems to be the issue, the flaw you refer to is not a flaw at all.

Melih

HyJaxLTD

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »
re the stealth ports wizard.

From what I have experienced, read and understood.
The stealth ports isn't the problem, and the reason no one can help is there is nothing wrong
but your understanding of how it works.
And you say they can reproduce it, of course they can because their's works properly too.

Connect directly to modem,stealth ports,test at GRC.
All good right.

Now connect to router, BINGO new private network detected.

It's Not allowing or asking you to allow incoming connections.
It is just notifying you that the firewall has (at it clearly states) Detected a New or different
network on the line.

When your head is right things ain't so bad.
No...this is after I have already been established to the router and connected to the internet!!!  It is not my pre-definde trusted network, and when I am saying it happens with/with out my router in the picture, thats what I mean.  It happens no matter what I have in between my host and the intyernet.  You are the one misunderstanding the problems here.  And again, I can tell Kaspersky NOT TO NOTIFY me of any incoming connections (stealth ports) and it does just that.  So dont tell me I am misunderstanding what I am trying to accomplish with CFP v3.  I can make it not happen in v2.4, so how do you explain it now?  Not my flaw.  I am sorry you guys arnt getting the picture here and obviously getting your feelers hurt over this being pointed out, but the firewall is allowing detection of new netwroks..notice i said new...).  I mean by this, I am already connected to the router and browsing the internet, and then at various times I am prompted of a New network attempting to connect.  IT DOES NOT NOT STEALTH!!!  NOT MY FLAW!!!  I can see I am not necesarily broadcasting my NetBIOS, but that iwas being stopped at my router.  Since realizing that if I wanted to keep my machine as secure as 2.4 kept it, I was not going to be able to use v3 until these are corrected.  Your previous version didn't allow it so the fact this one does tells me where in the flaw lies.  And also you are not addressing uninstallation.  You are attempting to make this all about explaining something that you are obviously not fully reading, and hopiong noone will remeber the rest of what this has been trying to get you guys at Comodo to deal with!!!

So if your firewall, and only v3.x of your firewall, is allowing these attempted connections to take place, then it can only be your v3.x that is the problem.  If you try and say no, then I will not bug you guys over this forum ever again, as YOU are the opnes misunderstanding the issue and it will always be there.  Or maybe give me a number to call you and I will explain it in its simplest english terms.  To not admit this here, yet it has been told to me through the support staff that they are aware of this issue and are working to fix it, means you or them is lying...wanna tell me which one, or shall we go with you really arent getting what I am trying to tell you about your productor can you just admit that you really cant block incoming connection attempts?  (btw..remeber that this happens with/without a router involved and upon first installation)  On a side note, why not explain what you think it means when you read that you will not be notified of ANY incoming connection attempts(which is exactly what the stealth ports wizard tells you its going to do/not do)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 05:11:00 PM by HyJax1 »

Offline Bad Frogger

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
I didn't respond over feelings, I work with logic.
Just trying to help a brother out.

People lose perspective and always want to blame something or someone else.

I know from personal experience, helping people with PC's.
People install or try to use some application and it doesn't work as they expect.
And suddenly they lose all perspective. They go off how this or that is broken, or doesn't work.
9 times out of 10. They have misconfigured the application itself or another application/device
that said application interacts with.

Do you honestly believe that out of about 15 million users there aren't a lot of very experienced
knowledgeable users. And out of all of them you are the only one that has discovered this Huge
security hole.

Comodo can't do anything about your expectations, other than to explain how the product was
designed to work, and maybe your expectations might change.

Forum members can if they feel like it go deeper and try to figure out what your problem really is.

In my post earlier I wasn't explaining how it is supposed to work. I gave you the straight up
testing method for Stealth ports wizard.
It either stealths your ports or not period.
If you fail at GRC with just modem and public IP address something is misconfigured check your
firewall rules.
If you pass at GRC then the ports are stealthed, not kinda sorta, but Stealthed period.
Get it through your head that stealthing the ports has nothing to do with detecting new
private networks.

Next the detect new network problem.
If what you say here...
"No...this is after I have already been established to the router and connected to the internet!!!  It is not my pre-definde trusted network, and when I am saying it happens with/with out my router in the picture, thats what I mean."

especially this part
"it happens with/with out my router in the picture" then you have an ISP, modem, NIC or cable problem.

Boiled down, if you are connected directly to a modem by cable and out of the blue a new private network
is detected that means your connection was interrupted, and regained.See above ISP, etc.
So what is the IP address in the new network pop up?
This will tell if modem or windows generated New Private IP address.

Next you find it annoying to be notified that something changed,or may be wrong with your network, yet
you are concerned about security. I find this baffling.
Does it not work if you go in settings and uncheck the box for Automatically detect new private networks?

On the issue of the uninstaller it could use improvement and they admit it.
But to be fair regarding how long it should take to fix it, by your expectations.
These are your expectations. Put yourself in their shoes.
Everybody wants a rock solid unbeatable protection and oh how they whine.You have to get deep and total
control of the machine and also protect yourself from bypass, and shutdown etc. or you suck.
But why is it so hard to make it so i can click one button and make it completely go away.

Think about it do you want the door open or closed, slightly ajar doesn't cut it. They say ignorance is bliss.
So if people are happier using security that is easy to kill and doesn't tip you off when something is wrong.
Then more power to ya my friend, I'll see you later on the security boards trying to clean up your hosed box
and screaming about what a POS that software was whether you misconfigured it or not.

Later peace.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 07:21:12 PM by Bad Frogger »

3xist

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »
There is simply NO flaw what so ever you're referring to HyJax1. It seems to me you're a little bit over the top, the way you type and conduct your self in this thread is pretty aggressive.

You need to really review all your networks, go to your Router and check settings there, review connections, review other security software etc, etc... But CIS is NOT the problem, Been testing this all night after reading this thread.

Josh

HyJaxLTD

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 07:46:12 PM »
 :THNK Not sure if your a developer trying to stick up for code you personally wrote or just unaware of what I have said...

By their own admission  :P0l through the support ticket system [at] https://support.comodo.com, Comodo has duplicated these circumstances, are unaware why they exist, and are (supposedly) working to resolve them.  Six of my support tickets (including things I havent even brought up here such as the impossible task of Windows unattended update while using Defense+) are either on hold or open-awaiuting response from development.

A support staff agent has duplicated these issues, has confirmed to me that he see's these as issues yet nothing has been done about them, other than making sure the alert slider for the D+ feature goes to disabled as well as the tick box being checked.

So tell me all you want how these are limited to me and that they are not 'holes' in the security state of the firewall, or that I am not reading the posts...whatever.  That's fine.  I do want you to know your effort to help in this is GREATLY appreciated, however, these really are there and Comodo dev team is REALLY aware they are there, yet as I have stated, not much in the way of fixing them.  If it was a simple as you are trying to make me beleive, five of my tickets would have been closed pretty much when they were opened. okay everyone?

I am not meaning to sound aggressive, I just have all these people here telling me what they say doesn't exist, yet for four mionths now, Comodo has been telling me they ARE aware of these problems and that they ARE definitly problems...and not just on my machine as the support agent can duplicate every single instance I have given...not just the network issue...that one is inlcuded in one of my support cases.  (:NRD)

HyJaxLTD

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 07:49:49 PM »
now how about everyone stop attacking me over just the one issue and look at the whgole picture...the Defense+ module, the un-installation issues with left over regestry and file enties, the security center issues, etc...I have said all I really can and put up with attack after attack telling me that I am wrong when Comodo dev knows these exist so you can close this thread if you want...not as resolved but just useless to even try.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 07:51:28 PM by HyJax1 »

3xist

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 07:52:33 PM »
Not sure if your a developer trying to stick up for code you personally wrote or just unaware of what I have said.

No. I'm just a mod, But I been testing your issue all night... Weird. Egemen is the lead developer, We will wait for responses.

now how about everyone stop attacking me over just the one issue and look at the whgole picture...the Defense+ module, the un-installation issues with left over regestry and file enties, etc...I have said all I really can and put up with attack after attack telling me that I am wrong when Comodo dev knows these exist so you can close this thread if you want...not as resolved but just useless to even try.

No one is attacking you! We are just trying to work out the issue your having. Sit tight. ;)

Josh

HyJaxLTD

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
If anyone had read my post thoroughly, which I know I do not always do, this topic would only take one page.  I really do just want to see this get fixed.  I have used Comodo for three years now and am ashamed to be using Kaspersky.  Its not that I haven't appreciated the efforts made here to correct it but thats not what this topic turned into.  It tuned into right/wrong and me, so yes I got a little aggressive, but it looks for now that you realize I am not kidding when I say they have been aware for six months about all of them.  And the only thing I have seen done is an AWESOME registry cleaner  :BNC released, then the availablity of paid services  :Beer , then a whole entire internet suite built on top of known issues  (:SAD) ....sorry for calling them flaws  :o , I was just agrevated at re-typing the same thing over and over and over and over and...well, I'm sure you gtot just as tired.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »
HyJax1

Egemen is the lead dev guy and he can't understand what your issue is.

Maybe you have to explain it in a different way.

thanks
Melih

Offline Bad Frogger

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 11:34:29 PM »
This is what your first post boils down to :

1----
To be able to download ONLY the firewall!!!  NOTHING ELSE!!!!  NO VIRUS SCANNER, NO DEFENSE+, NOTHING BUT JUST THE FIREWALL!!!

2------
Try uninstalling the ISS...leaves data all over and totally ruins the windows security management system (i.e. security center).

3-----
If you do a search you will find several posts why I REFUSE to download the CIS just for the firewall

4-----
My only wish for this product is for the developers to look at my open and hold support ticlkets and actually fix these issues, along with fixing the un-installer.  Pretty simple, huh?

5----  (repeat 2 with flame)
Even when set to block all incoming connections, will ask for permission of new networks
        (mention 2 again, mention 1 again more flame)

I wasn't attacking you, I was trying to help you understand and sort out the only problem in your post
that any one could help with. The middle of #5.
Then I come back to read you don't even have it installed and you won't again until they put there
good name and reputation on a special neutered firewall only installer for YOU.

So let's dissect the list of serious security issues a little deeper.

#1.  This is something YOU want.

#2.  This is an admitted issue, I am confident they are working on.
    Also this is only an issue if you uninstall, If it works a beaut why would ya.
    And if you did want to uninstall clean, there is an uninstall bat file available and REVO Uninstaller is a
    great help. I have never had an uninstall problem with the firewall or CIS on XP with REVO.

#3.  Is reinforcing that #1 is something that YOU want.

#4.  Points out that you have raised support tickets for #1 and #2.

#5. Repeats #2 twice, #1 again. Add some flame.
    Introduces the stealth wizard and port blocking issue.
    Which YOU apparently don't want to sort out, I tried.

None of the above = Security hole or threat or weakness.
So basically you are just here to complain and people trying to help are cramping your style.
It's like saying Ford's are sh*t because they won't build me a Mini Bike. (:AGY)

And all this for Free to boot. I can deduce we are all talking about the Free version because
if you had paid for support you wouldn't be in the forum starting threads titled "Need Help".
and refusing anything of the sort.

I'm not turning it into a right/wrong thing. It's apparently a Me Me thing for you.

Later and Peace

Offline Blue_Ice

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 01:05:14 AM »
  I don't know if I understood clearly what you want, but if I well know (and someone correct me if wrong) you see the new network because of Windows:
     "Network discovery is a network setting that affects whether your computer can see (find) other computers and devices on the network and whether other computers on the network can see your computer."(Windows Help).
    So, even if you stealth ports is your windows who initiate a search (or am I wrong). If so, then it is not an incoming connection, but a requested one so try disable this from windows.
   I use firewall (CIS) and nobody from network can see me so it is working (stealth).

P.S. Sorry for my english (is not my native language).

HyJaxLTD

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 01:06:25 PM »
  I don't know if I understood clearly what you want, but if I well know (and someone correct me if wrong) you see the new network because of Windows:
     "Network discovery is a network setting that affects whether your computer can see (find) other computers and devices on the network and whether other computers on the network can see your computer."(Windows Help).
    So, even if you stealth ports is your windows who initiate a search (or am I wrong). If so, then it is not an incoming connection, but a requested one so try disable this from windows.
   I use firewall (CIS) and nobody from network can see me so it is working (stealth).

P.S. Sorry for my english (is not my native language).

No matter, its obvious they are going to ignore and now probably deny that these tickets have even been under review for as long as they have.  It's getting to the point that Im just done with such negligence and buck passing.  A detailed search of the forum WILL reveal this is not justt ME experiencing these issues.  I am willing to put money on the fact that it is not CIS making this unrepeatable for you, but probably your router or some other program you are running.  For anyone to tell me this is isolated to me, they are telling me Comodo support staff is lying to me about being able to reproduce my SAME complaint(and not becuase of a trusted home network.  As I have said, my router can prevent this from happening, Kaspersky does not allow any incoming new connections other than my pre-defined trusted connection.  As well, I rarely have my system set up as a home network so I should have not received anything like that, especially because (and im not yelling here, just people are ignoring parts and picking samll peices out of my post to attack me...not speaking of you...and I really want them to pay attention to this next fact so again, Blue Ice, I am not directing this as a yell).  THESE CONNECTION ATTEMPTS HAPPEN AFTER COMMUNICATION HAS ALREADY BEEN ESTABLISHED, APPOVED, AND DEFINED TO COMODO. 

Additionally, I dont care if it is windows causing it, if I tell a firewaqll to just say no itself and not bother me with popups I have already told it to deny, gthen that is what should (and does with Comodo v2.4 and Kaspersky as well).  If windows just gets to do anything it wants, whats the purpose of even using a third party firewall app?

This is what your first post boils down to :

1----
To be able to download ONLY the firewall!!!  NOTHING ELSE!!!!  NO VIRUS SCANNER, NO DEFENSE+, NOTHING BUT JUST THE FIREWALL!!!

2------
Try uninstalling the ISS...leaves data all over and totally ruins the windows security management system (i.e. security center).

3-----
If you do a search you will find several posts why I REFUSE to download the CIS just for the firewall

4-----
My only wish for this product is for the developers to look at my open and hold support ticlkets and actually fix these issues, along with fixing the un-installer.  Pretty simple, huh?

5----  (repeat 2 with flame)
Even when set to block all incoming connections, will ask for permission of new networks
        (mention 2 again, mention 1 again more flame)

I wasn't attacking you, I was trying to help you understand and sort out the only problem in your post
that any one could help with. The middle of #5.
Then I come back to read you don't even have it installed and you won't again until they put there
good name and reputation on a special neutered firewall only installer for YOU.

So let's dissect the list of serious security issues a little deeper.

#1.  This is something YOU want.

#2.  This is an admitted issue, I am confident they are working on.
    Also this is only an issue if you uninstall, If it works a beaut why would ya.
    And if you did want to uninstall clean, there is an uninstall bat file available and REVO Uninstaller is a
    great help. I have never had an uninstall problem with the firewall or CIS on XP with REVO.

#3.  Is reinforcing that #1 is something that YOU want.

#4.  Points out that you have raised support tickets for #1 and #2.

#5. Repeats #2 twice, #1 again. Add some flame.
    Introduces the stealth wizard and port blocking issue.
    Which YOU apparently don't want to sort out, I tried.

None of the above = Security hole or threat or weakness.
So basically you are just here to complain and people trying to help are cramping your style.
It's like saying Ford's are sh*t because they won't build me a Mini Bike. (:AGY)

And all this for Free to boot. I can deduce we are all talking about the Free version because
if you had paid for support you wouldn't be in the forum starting threads titled "Need Help".
and refusing anything of the sort.

I'm not turning it into a right/wrong thing. It's apparently a Me Me thing for you.

Later and Peace
You are obviously lying to me about who you are and your position in Comodo, or you really just are skimming my posts and reading the parts you want to include not looking at the last screen shot I submitted with SIX support tickets on hold, and this is due to them being KNOWN issues by Comodo development.  Bottom line here is you really can close this Melih, I am tired of the BS being called a liar or insuuating I am being unresaonable or that I have no idea what Im talking about.  These are all issues, you know they are, youi know I have MULTIPLE support tickets about all of these issues still open and being looked into as YOUR staff has duplicated EVERYTHING and admitted to me that it defintly needs attention as it should not be this way.  I hope you can straighten your team out and gfet all of this dealt with before a lwyer looses his machine over it?  Either way, your coming to the defense of all these people saying these are not issues when you also know how long Sal has been working to get these resolved with Comodo development is hugely insulting and very dishonest as a CEO.  You can bet I will blog all of this and produce all my support tickets as proof you are being misleading, and that Comodo has several KNOWN issues in their products but are choosing to ignore for what appears to be financial motives.  Goodbye.

Offline Melih

• CEO - Comodo
  • Administrator
  • Comodo's Hero
    • Video Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »
fyi: Sal is our SSL support person and does not work with our CIS dev team. (he is a damn good goal keeper though!!! and I hate it when he is the goal keeper for the opposition!)

You had access to the main guy in charge of CIS, Egemen, who came here and you failed to explain your problem. I don't think I could have done anymore!

Sorry to see you go but I think we all had enough of your insults and abuses to very people who were more than willing and happy to help you.

Melih

3xist

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »
I think we can all get some rest. :) He is gone now.

Thread Closed.

Josh

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek