Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials & Comodo  (Read 7958 times)

Offline tomscmd

• Comodo Loves me
Microsoft Security Essentials & Comodo
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:56:39 AM »
Hello Everyone:  I recently stopped my Avira Antivirus and thought I would try WSE along with Comodo Firewall. I guess they are combatible (dont know) but I keep getting a exclamation mark on top of my Comodo Icon in the taskbar.
I opened Comodo and it states that it is NOT running.

Anyone know what the problem might be here?  Thanks

Offline deadman

• Comodo's Hero
  • I love COMODO.
Re: Microsoft Security Essentials & Comodo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »
Hello Everyone:  I recently stopped my Avira Antivirus and thought I would try WSE along with Comodo Firewall.
Do you mean uninstalled or you just stopped Avira with Exit button in system tray?
I guess they are combatible (dont know) but I keep getting a exclamation mark on top of my Comodo Icon in the taskbar.
I opened Comodo and it states that it is NOT running.

Anyone know what the problem might be here?  Thanks
MSE and Comodo firewall are compatible. Run diagnostics in Comodo Firewall (More -> Diagnostics) and see if it founds the problem.

Offline cavehomme

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:53:59 AM »
Yes they are normally very compatible. However, MSE v2 is picking up cfp.exe as a Trojan after Comodo Firewall auto-updates.

Category: Backdoor

Description: This program has potentially unwanted behavior.

Recommended action: Review the alert details to see why the software was detected. If you do not like how the software operates or if you do not recognize and trust the publisher, consider blocking or removing the software.

Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the Allow action and click Apply actions. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the security administrator for help.

Items:
process:pid:2120   (which is cfp.exe)

OUCH !
Windows 7 HP 32
Firewall: Windows
AV: CAV, Hitman Pro
Browser: Comodo IceDragon
Comodo DNS enabled

Offline Valentin N

• Malware Research Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Usability Study Group
    • My homepage at the moment
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »
press on ignore and add it to exlusions in detect shellcode injections (CIS ---> Defense+ ---> Defense+ Settings ---> Execution control Settings ---> Detect shellcode injections (i.e. Buffer overflow protection) ---> Exclusions ---> Add ---> Browse...)

To put it there will prevent you from having high cpu usage and other unknown problem that can come during the time.

I also recommend you to use avira's removal tool so that everything from avira is gone from your system.

Regards,
            Valentin N

CEVPN: Valentin N

CIS 6.3

Keep CTM alive by voting

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »
Yes they are normally very compatible. However, MSE v2 is picking up cfp.exe as a Trojan after Comodo Firewall auto-updates.

Category: Backdoor

Description: This program has potentially unwanted behavior.

Recommended action: Review the alert details to see why the software was detected. If you do not like how the software operates or if you do not recognize and trust the publisher, consider blocking or removing the software.

Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the Allow action and click Apply actions. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the security administrator for help.

Items:
process:pid:2120   (which is cfp.exe)

OUCH !
Ouch indeed. But for MSE.;)

That of course is a false postive. Please report it to Microsoft and tell MSE to add cfp.exe to the exclusions.

Offline BoredNow

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »
I don't have any experience with MSE v2, but v1 let me down terribly.
If you have a problem trusting the AV side of CIS, then maybe you should consider Avast.
Just my opinion.

I've been using the full CIS suite and (so far) have no worries.
Also, I only 'surf the net' inside SandboxIE.
So I have an extra layer of protection.
HP pavilion media center 2006
Windows 7 64bit - Standard Acct.
EMET 3
CIS-5.10
Sandboxie 3.76

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek