Author Topic: firewall does not monitor correct network connection  (Read 1434 times)

Offline timaios

firewall does not monitor correct network connection
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:09:15 PM »

Hey there,

i have CIS installed and running, but it does not seem to monitor the correct network connection: i am surfing with firefox in the internet, yet CIS tells me there are no incoming nor outgoing connections. The properties of the active connection to the internet shows an installed driver: "COMODO Internet Security Firewall Driver". The control panel of Comodo Firewall does not show anywhere, what network connection is being monitored (what if, e.g. someone has more than one network connection or card!?)

Since my system sometimes suffers from involuntarily switching network connections (some kind of instant new installation, with minor connectivity at times) it is important to use CIS effectively.

Windows XP X64-edition, SP2
network adapter: Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
CIS version 3.9.76924.507

Thanks for help!

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: firewall does not monitor correct network connection
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:21:20 PM »
Is this installation a clean install or an upgrade install?

Offline deepcut

• Comodo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:38:06 PM »
I have two network sockets on my motherboard, which show up as two connections within Windows. I just disable the "COMODO Internet Security Firewall Driver" on the socket that I am not using for the internet connection.

timaios, looking at your post I actually have the same OS and the same onboard network chipset as you.

Some recent, previous, versions of CIS were known to not monitor the connection properly, and not show any traffic on the Summary tab of CIS. This was due to a fault with the driver which _should_ have been fixed with the most recent versions.
I did experience this with a some version before, but the recent 3.9.final and updates have been fine.

The "COMODO Internet Security Firewall Driver" should be ticked active on whichever connection is live to the internet.
CIS does not update the Traffic pane on the Summary tab very quickly.
You could try checking what version of the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmdhlp.sys you have, mine says 3.9.10937.503 atm.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:10:21 PM by deepcut »
Windows XP Pro x64 SP2. CIS 3.9.95478.509 with AV & FW, no D+.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
Are you referring to the Timaios post? You are on 64 bits XP?

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek