Author Topic: Comodo won't shut down  (Read 64420 times)

Offline lizard_king

Re: Comodo won't shut down
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
I found http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/how-do-you-terminate-cfpexe-and-cmdagentexe-mods-note-not-recomended-t44290.0.html;msg320349#msg320349. The problem is I think my version is much newer than that one (that post is from 2009). I had read something like that some time ago, but when I get to the part of "(self)defense settings" I can't find it, it's simply not there, so I assume the new UI doesn't have this option. Anyone knows how to do this in 2012?

Offline ec101

« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »
(Wow, this was a really old topic you posted in)

Anyways, I have found that disabling AVG's Identity Protection helps for me (my Comodo installation hasn't had any problems for months now ever since I did that).

To allow Task Manager to terminate Comodo, open the UI (if you can), and go to Defense+ -> Computer Security Policy (you may have to click "Yes" if there's a prompt).
Scroll down to the "Comodo Internet Security" group, click "Edit", then "Customize", then go to the "Protection Settings" tab.
Have "Active" checked for "Interprocess Memory Accesses" and "Processes' Termination" (if it isn't already checked), then for each of them, click on "Modify", then add the Task Manager process.
That will allow Task Manager to kill Comodo, but it won't help with the shutdown problem, unless you make sure Comodo is responsive (i.e. the UI will open) every time before you shut down, and kill cmdagent.exe if it isn't working.

Offline lizard_king

« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »
Yes it is old. I didn't think it was right to create a new topic since this is my exact problem.

Right now I'm having trouble just installing Comodo Firewall, which might have something to do with me having Dragon on. I'll install it and disable the identity protection, and then I'll do that. Many thanks, if this works you can spend Xmas at my house.

Offline lizard_king

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
IT WORKS!
Thank you so much. I know this won't fix whatever makes it stop working, but at least I can restart it and not have to do a hard reboot.
I switched off Identity Protection, and I still have the Comodo Internet Security folder on Resident Shield's exceptions. Any way I can also make add AVG to Comodo's exceptions?

Offline lizard_king

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2012, 06:42:17 AM »
It doesn't work again. Well I can still terminate cfp.exe, but in shutdown I got that conflict yesterday and although I clicked "end process" it did nothing. I can't even open Process Manager, I think explorer is already terminated because all I see is my desktop background.

Maybe I didn't mention this, but I have exactly the same problem when I tried Comodo in my Windows 7 laptop. I once tried to uninstall my anti-virus and I still had this problem. So it's definitely a Comodo issue, not a conflict. I wish they could adress this. I don't have the energy to keep trying to solve this, I'm done. If this happens again I uninstall it permanently.

Offline lizard_king

« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »
I just noticed it crashed again. I took the opportunity to try and terminate cfp.exe and it doesn't work, even though it does when Comodo isn't crashed. So now I know either I uninstall it and reinstall it when I reboot everytime this happens, or I leave it uninstalled for ever. I'm sick of this, I can't have a single firewall to work on my computer.

Offline EricJH

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Please make sure that there are no left overs of previously uninstalled security programs around. Not all uninstallers do a proper job. And left over applications, drivers or services can cause all sort of "interesting effects".

Try using removal tools for those programs to remove them. Here is a list of removal tools for common av programs: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146 .

Offline lizard_king

« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2012, 09:05:39 AM »
I use CCleaner very often to clean my registry, so I don't see how this could be a problem. Anyway I ran the uninstaller for every security program I've had (except AVG because I still have it) and this still happens. Right now Comodo isn't responding. I can't kill cfp.exe, but I can kill cmdagent.exe, but if I try to start Comodo after that it gets stuck in "Comodo is initializing" indefinitely.

I don't understand how I can have this issue in 2 different computers using 2 different operating systems with 2 different anti-viruses and no one else has this problem! What does Comodo have against me? I mean it's pretty obvious by now that this is a Comodo problem, so is there any kind of configuration I should have made?

Offline Chiron

• Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »
Please try disabling AVG and then restarting your computer. At least this will allow us to tell whether the problem is definitely related to AVG.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks.

Offline lizard_king

« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »
Chiron at a certain point I had NO other security software on my computer and this still happened. I feel it's really dumb of me to disable an anti-virus that never gave me any trouble over a firewall which crashes every time I log out of my session, reboot or shut down.

Also: now when I do any of those things and "cfp.exe can't terminate" I click "end now" and after a big while it finally works. This still means Comodo has a problem, only now it's kind of tolerable (of course I'm not going to have it if I can't fix this, it's just for the mean time). When I start the next session if I didn't reboot, the Comodo UI is working badly, I run diagnostics and it finds nothing. Lovely.

Offline lizard_king

« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »
I guess I should report back: it worked. I downloaded Revo Uninstaller, uninstalled everything Comodo-related, then AVG. Then I re-downloaded Comodo Internet Suite and installed the whole thing. A few pages back a user reported this issue coming from Comodo and AVG/any anti-virus competing for resources in the Windows startup. I don't know if this is true, but I never had a problem again. The only problem is that Comodo anti-virus isn't all that great, but I doubt I'll have problems from now on and I'll stick with CIS. Thank to everyone who helped me.

Offline pandora12

Re: Windows won't shut down
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2014, 03:29:06 AM »
I had the problem of Windows XP not shutting down after installing the latest version of CIS.  I ran a registry cleaner (free window registry repair), my PC shuts down correctly now.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek