Author Topic: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7  (Read 126609 times)

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
Re: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:03 PM »
There's obviously a key difference in the drivers used by different AV players. If one looks at Avira Web-guard, which is effectively the same as Avast web-shield, they're both able to bypass Windows firewall, but only Avast is able to bypass CIS...

Does anyone know of any other AV products that have web-guard/shield technology?
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline pc_pete

• Comodo's Hero
  • No idea where this came from!
« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2012, 12:54:01 AM »
In a single round of 3-handed 'paper,stone,scissors' - every player can lose.

If you go the other way, doesn't everyone win?

Offline pc_pete

• Comodo's Hero
  • No idea where this came from!
« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2012, 08:48:23 AM »
I'm no expert on the intricacies but it seems to me that,

1. Avast 7 does differentiate - using WFP for the 'Web Shield' with Windows 7 & 8 but the older API on earlier Windows versions, like my 'old school' XP Pro PC.

2. On Windows 7, whatever method CIS (and not to forget MS Windows 7 firewall also) uses to intercept outbound traffic does not "see" the traffic which is going via Avast Web Shield as not having been generated by Avast itself, but according to 'Radaghast', this is not so for Avira's web shield.  ???

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »
One Q what is the real security issue with Comodo Firewall and Avast 7 what is the fuss about? Bypassing Comodo Firewall because of the Avast 7 web-shield? I mean how BAD this is really? 1 from 10 for security? Anyone?
Proud Comodo User (CIS, CD, CID and CMS)

Offline MartiusD

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
One Q what is the real security issue with Comodo Firewall and Avast 7 what is the fuss about? Bypassing Comodo Firewall because of the Avast 7 web-shield? I mean how BAD this is really? 1 from 10 for security? Anyone?
Running Avast 7 (with web-shield enabled) and CFW on Vista or Win7 effectively disables all outbound firewall rules. Any program not detected as potential malware by Avast 7 or CIS Defense+/Sandbox can connect to the Internet without the user's knowledge and perform malicious actions. Disabling alerts for outbound connections removes an important last line of defense to stop undetected malware which could have been downloaded or copied from removable media. I would rate this at least a 4 for security.

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2012, 08:49:17 PM »
Running Avast 7 (with web-shield enabled) and CFW on Vista or Win7 effectively disables all outbound firewall rules. Any program not detected as potential malware by Avast 7 or CIS Defense+/Sandbox can connect to the Internet without the user's knowledge and perform malicious actions. Disabling alerts for outbound connections removes an important last line of defense to stop undetected malware which could have been downloaded or copied from removable media. I would rate this at least a 4 for security.

Thank you for the great info :)

Offline MrMaxaMan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
I'm still using Avast 6 because of this problem. It's been a while now, not sure if this will be corrected.
Avast Free - 20.9.2437 - Comodo 12.2.2.7062 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Offline aerofly

« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2012, 03:54:04 AM »
You're not alone

Offline Ronny

• Retired - Product Translator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Retired - Volunteer Moderator
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:56 AM »
I don't expect this to be solved in version 5, hopes are on CIS 6 to fix this 'issue'.
Retired - Volunteer Moderator
Any concerns? Please send me a PM or review the Forum Policy -  update Jan 3rd 2013!

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2012, 07:09:37 AM »
I'm still using Avast 6 because of this problem. It's been a while now, not sure if this will be corrected.

I can't even use Avast 6! It turns into Avast 7! Avast won't fix this firewall issue. They rushed Avast 7 and look it is full of issues. They don't want to take responsibility.

Offline Isaactoo

« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I was wondering if anyone has tried Avast with web-shield disabled combined with Bitdefender Trafficlight (scans http traffic) combined with Comodo Firewall.

I'm pretty sure Trafficlight does the same thing as Avast's web-shield (although perhaps a little better protection at the cost of a little speed). They both scan all the http traffic of the PC using an anti-virus engine on the user's PC.

If they worked well together, it'd be great...but cannot find anything online as to their compatibility.

(of course, you have to do the full install of Trafficlight, or else you won't get the http scanning)

Offline MrMaxaMan

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #236 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »
I can't even use Avast 6! It turns into Avast 7! Avast won't fix this firewall issue. They rushed Avast 7 and look it is full of issues. They don't want to take responsibility.

If you mean it automatically updates to Avast 7, you need to change the program update settings to manual update.
Avast Free - 20.9.2437 - Comodo 12.2.2.7062 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2012, 06:41:55 AM »
Slightly off topic, but I was wondering if anyone has tried Avast with web-shield disabled combined with Bitdefender Trafficlight (scans http traffic) combined with Comodo Firewall.

I'm pretty sure Trafficlight does the same thing as Avast's web-shield (although perhaps a little better protection at the cost of a little speed). They both scan all the http traffic of the PC using an anti-virus engine on the user's PC.

If they worked well together, it'd be great...but cannot find anything online as to their compatibility.

(of course, you have to do the full install of Trafficlight, or else you won't get the http scanning)

What's the point in using Avast at all than? LOL! Plus even today I can't find any reviews or tests for Bitdefender Trafficlight... Not talking as you said about compatibility...

Offline Seany007

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
  • Comodo Commando
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2012, 06:46:20 AM »
If you mean it automatically updates to Avast 7, you need to change the program update settings to manual update.

Nah it's more crazy than that. I download say old Avast ver 6. Disconnect from online. Try to install but the install fails as it says that it can't download new ver Avast 7 or if online it load new ver without my permission and you can't stop it! Some crazy s***! I have no Avast files on my PC apart from old Avast install ver 6. Avast forum ppl have no idea what's going on LOL!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:48:18 AM by Seany007 »

Offline stormcrowfleet

« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
Nah it's more crazy than that. I download say old Avast ver 6. Disconnect from online. Try to install but the install fails as it says that it can't download new ver Avast 7 or if online it load new ver without my permission and you can't stop it! Some crazy s***! I have no Avast files on my PC apart from old Avast install ver 6. Avast forum ppl have no idea what's going on LOL!

Change your date in os to one year back, then run avast 6 installer and revert date settings to current date. You must be disconnected from the internet, of course.

Free Endpoint Protection
Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com Smf Destek