Author Topic: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7  (Read 102675 times)

Offline pc_pete

• Comodo's Hero
  • No idea where this came from!
Re: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2012, 08:07:58 AM »
The simple solution is to use whichever AV you wish but not use Avast 7 Web Shield as it was designed for Win8

More elaborately, Avast 7 uses Win7 supported (and Win8 only choice) WFP redirect API rather than TDI.
I assume CIS is still using TDI or something not fully compatible with Win7. 'Holes' in the firewall's protection  will continue to be a possibility until they implement a fully Win7&8 compatible solution.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:10:18 AM by pc_pete »

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »
More elaborately, Avast 7 uses Win7 supported (and Win8 only choice) WFP redirect API rather than TDI.
I assume CIS is still using TDI or something not fully compatible with Win7.

egemen said
CIS uses TDI, WFP and NDIS to provide its firewall functionality. WFP maybe enough ti implement an average firewall but it is not enough for a firewall like CFW so that it could not be used alone wihtout the support of the other 2 technologies. Windows 8 allowed us to use WFP more than previous windows editions and it should not be a problem with the next CIS editions which support Windows 8.

Holes' in the firewall's protection  will continue to be a possibility until they implement a fully Win7&8 compatible solution.

I hope you've saved some criticism for Microsoft, as Avast and Avira web proxies have the same effect on Windows 7 firewall and from what I've seen, Avast 6 too.
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline SnoopZ

« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »
Is there going to be a fix for this with a new version of Comodo? As it doesn't look like Avast think it is broken?

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
I think WFP predates Windows 7 and I think avast7 is compatible with Vista.  So there probably should be concerns about earlier OS combinations such as Vista+Comodo+Avast7 too.  I can't recall reading of such a combination being tested, but perhaps someone has done so(?).  Edit: I went back through the thread and did see a post or two suggesting that Comodo on Vista was not affected.  So perhaps avast7 doesn't use WFP based redirection on OS's prior to Windows 7?

Rereading that "Windows 8 allowed us to use WFP more than previous windows editions and it should not be a problem with the next CIS editions which support Windows 8." comment, I think there are two interpretations:

1) Future versions of Comodo which support Windows 8 should fix the "avast7 type redirection issue" even when running on earlier WFP platforms such as Windows 7.
2) Future versions of Comodo will only fix the "avast7 type redirection issue" when running on Windows 8 or later.

I have seen some signs that there may be OS version specific differences in WFP.  I've yet to see it substantiated that the avast7 WebShield functionality is using some WFP feature that is OS specific.  I've also yet to see it substantiated that a firewall needs an OS version specific WFP feature in order to cope with the avast7 type redirection issue.  Should anyone be able to provide details on such subjects, I for one would enjoy reading them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:30:25 AM by Rumpel »

Offline kail

• Mostly Benevolent
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
  • The future is much like the present, only longer.
    • COMODO's free software!
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »
I'm baffled, and somewhat concerned, by the amount of posters who seem to be completely ignoring the not-so-trivial fact that Windows 7 own Firewall demonstrates exactly the same problem with Avast's and Avira's web proxy.
My System Details: W8Px64 with CIS 6, Firefox 26 & Becky! 2.65
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline pc_pete

• Comodo's Hero
  • No idea where this came from!
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2012, 12:44:18 PM »
egemen said
I hope you've saved some criticism for Microsoft, as Avast and Avira web proxies have the same effect on Windows 7 firewall and from what I've seen, Avast 6 too.
Yep!
it's only of lesser significance because most people don't configure MS FW for outbound filtering?

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »
I'm baffled, and somewhat concerned, by the amount of posters who seem to be completely ignoring the not-so-trivial fact that Windows 7 own Firewall demonstrates exactly the same problem with Avast's and Avira's web proxy.

Another firewall (such as the Windows 7 firewall) having limitations doesn't by definition justify limitations in Comodo firewall.  Although it is theoretically possible that the other firewall has similar limitations due to limitations in the OS itself, it is also theoretically possible that isn't the reason for there being a similar limitation.

Offline kail

• Mostly Benevolent
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »
Another firewall (such as the Windows 7 firewall) having limitations doesn't by definition justify limitations in Comodo firewall.  ..
I never said it did. However, it certainly does make a nonsense of some posts when they are aimed solely at CIS. Besides, my main concern with this issue (see my previous posts) is that the majority of users on W7 are probably just using W7's Firewall with one of these web proxies and thinking that they are fully protected.

Some may wish to call that a limitation, but at this point I'd prefer to call that an unmitigated disaster myself.
Forum Policy.
____
The problem is not the problems, the problem is people's attitude towards those problems.

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2012, 01:28:01 PM »
This being a Comodo forum, I would normally expect comments to focus exclusively on Comodo firewall.  Even in cases where the user is well aware that other firewalls have similar limitations.  So I wouldn't let that get to you.

Hopefully, those Windows 7 firewall users who are aware of the issue are in Windows 7 forums trying to get a proper response from Microsoft.

The masses who aren't even aware of the issue, well, I'm not sure what you do about them.  I suppose someone so inclined could start contacting media outlets, trying to get them to cover the subject.

Offline Boris 3

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
From what egemen has said, my understanding is that the problem is inside win7. Hence the solution should come from Microsoft either through a patch or an SP2, but egemen doesn't think that to be needed and that a workaround would be enough.

Quote from egemen
It may not be necessary. For this particular issue, we may have a workaround. We are looking into it.

He was of course referring to the problem with Avast 7, but is it really the sole problem than the "limitations" of win 7 could yield?

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
Where is that quote from Boris 3?  If a public post, I'd like to find the full message and read the rest of it.

Online wasgij6

• Volunteer Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »
Where is that quote from Boris 3?  If a public post, I'd like to find the full message and read the rest of it.

It may not be necessary. For this particular issue, we may have a workaround. We are looking into it.
| Win 8.1 Pro (x64) | UAC Disabled | CFW 7.0.317799.4142 | Intel i7 4770k | Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo | Asus GeForce GTX 780 | G.Skill TridentX 16gb RAM | Samsung 840 Pro SSD |

Offline kail

• Mostly Benevolent
  • Global Moderator
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
This being a Comodo forum, I would normally expect comments to focus exclusively on Comodo firewall.  Even in cases where the user is well aware that other firewalls have similar limitations. ..
My apologies, I assumed that you had read this topic. However, I'm not aware of any other firewalls that have this issue currently. Do you know otherwise?

Also is there a significance to your use of "limitation" here..  do you believe it is a limitation of some sort?
Forum Policy.
____

Offline Boris 3

• Comodo's Hero
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »

You can find it here : https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/cis-beta-for-windows-8-customer-preview-t83044.0.html;msg592815#msg592815

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »
Thanks Boris 3.  I saw that one, but either missed or forgot about the one which was a few posts later in that Windows 8ish thread:

https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/cis-beta-for-windows-8-customer-preview-t83044.0.html;msg592834#msg592834
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:10:17 PM by Rumpel »

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek