Author Topic: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7  (Read 103146 times)

Offline hellion

• Comodo Member
  • Free the Web!
Re: Comodo Firewall and Avast 7
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:21 AM »
On the face of it, it looks like a bug in the firewall, so I'll create a full bug report. If anyone has anything to add, please post.

Thanks Radaghast,

I hope that Comodo will do something about this soon! This is an critical issue!
Regards,
Hellion

Offline Rumpel

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 03:26:25 AM »
On the face of it, it looks like a bug in the firewall, so I'll create a full bug report. If anyone has anything to add, please post.

Just two thoughts to share, in case they are worth anything:

- It sounds to me as though there might be two Comodo related issues... a) that a block rule does not work, b) that Comodo thinks and logs that it worked.

- I don't know how Comodo and Avast hook into the stack, but over the years I can recall running into some install order dependent issues involving software that hooks the stack.  Both Avast and Comodo developers will probably immediately know whether that could be able to come into play here, but I thought I'd mention for those who are exploring the issue.

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »
So what version is your CIS?

Click the 'Vendors' row at the top of the list and start typing Avast...
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »

Click the 'Vendors' row at the top of the list and start typing Avast...

Hi Radaghast, my CIS is Comodo Firewall, Product Version 5.9.221665.2197. If I type avast in the Vendors tab it does not show up. The attachment that I've uploaded is the list of vendors arranged in alphabetical order and it can be seen that there is not avast.

So why is that?...

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »
Hi Radaghast, my CIS is Comodo Firewall, Product Version 5.9.221665.2197. If I type avast in the Vendors tab it does not show up. The attachment that I've uploaded is the list of vendors arranged in alphabetical order and it can be seen that there is not avast.

So why is that?...

Try Caps
“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.”

Offline brightness

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:45 AM »
OK, got it. Thanks.

Offline Randomer

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »
Ok, first of all, sorry if this comes across as hijacking brightness' thread. I'd start one of my own, but I just saw that a previous thread about the conflict between Comodo and Avast got locked in favour of this one.

I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to computer security, but what I've read in this thread and others, including on the Avast forums, has me worried. Basically, I'm just looking for some kind of clarification as to what's going on. I've read the relevant threads, including this one, and I'm still confused. I've seen people seeming to say Avast's webshield can stop Comodo's firewall from working, leaving my computer exposed to attack, and also that AvastSvc.exe can create a loophole in the firewall?

I'm currently running Windows XP with Avast! Free Antivirus 7 and Comodo 5.9.221665.2197 (including Defense+). I currently have webshield running. I also checked what applications Comodo's set to allow through, by going to Firewall -> Network Security policy -> Application Rules tab, and there's nothing there about AvastSvc.exe. However, avast.setup is set to "Allow IP Out From MAC Any To MAC Any Where Protocol Is Any", whatever that means. 

Basically, my question is: how secure is my PC at the moment, and what can I set Comodo and Avast to, to make it as secure as possible? Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question; like I said, I don't really know much about this sort of thing, and I'm just trying to get some sort of clarification.  :)

Offline iroc9555

• Comodo Loves me
  • Caracas, Vnzl.
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
[at] Radaghast

Currently running Avast! 7 ( all shields enable. no autosandbox ) and CIS 5.9.xxx.2197 ( Fw in Custom mode & D+ in Paranoid with Sandbox ) Also as my sig says XP Pro Spk 3.

This behavior is not present in my system. I can block any application, browsers included, if I blocked them in the firewall. It must be a W7 related, any Vista reported with this problem ?

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/comodo-does-not-work-with-avast-7-t82323.0.html

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93953.0
"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." (Albert Einstein)

XP Pro Spk 3_x86. IE 8 & FF 22 C2D Conroe (2.40 Ghz), 2 GB RAM
Avast! 8 Free
CIS 5.12 (F/D+)
MBAM 1.75 Pro
WinPatrol Plus
WOT
SAS (On demand scan).

Offline clockwork

• Comodo's Hero
  • Oxygen requires Chuck Norris to live
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »
At Randomer

The reports are about the web shield.
As the next poster pointed out, some systems may not show this problem.
Personally, i would disable the web shield until the problem is cleared.

If you ask yourself if you arent safe without a web shield of an antivirus, you would be unsafe with the most of the antivirus programs out there ;) . Unlikely.
Also you use comodo defense+ (i assume).

"If there is a problem, it`s something interesting. Try to circumvent or fix it.
In the old ages there was no support. That`s why we got the brain we have today.
Otherwise we would only be able to call a number and listen."

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »
For what it's worth, as others have reported, this problem is not present in Windows XP or Vista. Right now it seems to be confined to Windows 7/CIS/Avast 7. Let me know if you see any other 'strange' behaviour.

Offline MartiusD

• Comodo Loves me
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »
For what it's worth, as others have reported, this problem is not present in Windows XP or Vista. Right now it seems to be confined to Windows 7/CIS/Avast 7. Let me know if you see any other 'strange' behaviour.
I haven't seen anyone mention 32bit or 64bit when discussing this problem. I was wondering if it may only be a problem on 64bit versions of Windows. Radaghast's assertion that it only seems to affect Windows 7 might be because Win7 tests are more likely to have been performed on a 64bit installation, but XP and Vista tests are more likely to have been performed on 32bit installations.

Has anyone reproduced this problem on a 32bit system or been unable to reproduce it on a 64bit system?

Offline Randomer

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:52 AM »
Thanks for the help, guys; it's appreciated!  :)

[at] clockwork: I assume you mean that most antivirus programs don't have a webshield anyway, so I should still be relatively safe with mine switched off as long as the rest of the antivirus is running? Also, yes, I have Defense+ turned on at the moment.

[at] Radaghast: That's lucky for me. I'll let you know if I find anything strange going on. I'm also running a 32bit version of XP, so hopefully I'm safe either way.

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
I haven't seen anyone mention 32bit or 64bit when discussing this problem. I was wondering if it may only be a problem on 64bit versions of Windows. Radaghast's assertion that it only seems to affect Windows 7 might be because Win7 tests are more likely to have been performed on a 64bit installation, but XP and Vista tests are more likely to have been performed on 32bit installations.

Has anyone reproduced this problem on a 32bit system or been unable to reproduce it on a 64bit system?

From what I have seen, it makes no difference if the OS is x86 or x64.

Offline Radaghast

• Star Group
  • Comodo's Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »
I noticed a follow up post at the Avast forum suggesting a switch to using "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" in the 'Expert Settings' of the Avast Web-Shield. Whilst this does seem to prevent applications, without firewall rules from 'phoning home' - at least in the quick test I performed in CIS, more later - it still doesn't prevent browser connections, when the browser is explicitly blocked.

Seo4Smf 2.0 © SmfMod.Com | Smf Destek